Its good to be a ShellBack, not so good to be a PolyWog!

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 405
  • 1b.jpg
    1b.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 374
  • 1c.jpg
    1c.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 356

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never did the shellback but heard the stories.

OP
OP
treasurefiend

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL Yea it was a fun 24hrs for getting snatched up while walking past different work shops then hazing (good fun) then after we had a "Steel Side BBQ". I had no idea that a navy ship had so many BBQ grills on them!!! :laughing9:

We decided to snatch up the next navy guy that passed by our berthing area, he was a Senior Chief, we snatched him, wrestled him to the ground, duct tapped him up and took him prisoner for about an hour. :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

g8r4evr

Tenderfoot
Feb 3, 2011
Chesapeake, Va
I agree, being a WOG sucked. But after the initiation it was all worth it. Got my onboard the USS GONZALEZ (DDG-66), I was inspected by Neptune Rex and his royal staff at the Equator at Longitude 052 20.0 E. Great times though but would not want to go through it again, unless I was running it.

Funny side to this, there were 200 WOGs that day and only about 100 of us decided to present ourselves to the court. I really can't stand the cowardice of some people, it is all in the name of fun.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp, you have seen alot of action. :icon_salut: :icon_salut: :icon_salut: :icon_salut: :icon_salut:

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Rooter said:
I have my fathers framed and hanging on the wall from 1943.
Dear Rooter;
I have BOTH of my father's Shellback certs framed. The first one was in WWII with the USCG in '42 and his second one was when he got recalled to serve in the USN in '51. He also had certs from the Blue Noses (Arctic Circle, USCG WWII) and his Laker cert (sailed upon all of the Great Lakes, again USCG during or just after WWII) Also, he got a cert Gold Dragon cert for crossing the date line in Alaska, again USCG during WWII.

He had a funny story to tell about his second Shellback initiation. He presented himself at King Neptune's Court, which used to be a DIRECT ORDER back in those days and he explained to the King of the Court how he was a shellback from his Coastie days. Davey Jones, Cancer and the other members of the Court argued that since my dad's first crossing was performed on a USCG vessel, it didn't count and my dad would need to endure it again.

He'd tell me that the Coastie initiation was far worse than the Navy's version. ;D
Your friend;
LAMAR

elk311

Jan 13, 2012
Kitsap, Washington
Detector(s) used
Minelabe Equinox 800, Whites Spectrum XLT (x2), Whites Coinmaster, Minelab XT18000, Compass Yukon 90B, Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Golden Shellback (August 1990)

Depth: (classified)

Attachments

• 0866819 small.jpg
    0866819 small.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 255

fever87

Aug 16, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705, Equinox 600, GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I entered the royal relm of King Neptune while conducting counter-drug ops off the coast of Ecuador in 2000. Even though at the equator that water was COLD! Watch the festivities while deployed aboard USS Abraham Lincoln in 2006 and the whole thing was so tame I didn't even recognize it. The fun is gone from the Navy I'm afraid to say.

Attachments

• Shellback02.jpg
    Shellback02.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 581
  • Shellback03.jpg
    Shellback03.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 441

Cheeserock

Jul 23, 2009
Central Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett AT-Pro Whites Classic SL-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shellback and Bluenose here.

Bluenose was north of Vestafiord Norway in 1987

Shellback was 1983 WestPac. It was huge fun. Pretty exhausting, but it did work up a good thirst for a port visit in Mombasa.

I had to deepsix the clothes I wore and my "boondockers", the steel toes were worn through.

What's up with all the padding ducktaped to hands and knees in those pics? My hands and knees were raw. Every time I see a fire hose, or an onion floating in a toilet bowl, I think about that day. Painfully fun.

Sincerely,

Boats Cheeserock

A/CMan

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HaHa! I understand that I went through that on a 88' westpac, that day I will never forget! My butt and my knees wore sore and I still hate cherries!!!!

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HaHa! I understand that I went through that on a 88' westpac, that day I will never forget! My butt and my knees wore sore and I still hate cherries!!!!

Is that part of don't ask don't tell....:laughing7:

A/CMan

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it would be under ( run like hell ) policy now. !

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What's wrong with being a polywog? You become a frog. Then you get kissed by a princess and become a prince. What's wrong with that?? TTC

A/CMan

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would be ok if the princess doesn't like frog legs, !!!!!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

A/CMan

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JJ I laughed hard on that Terry just kidding sir!!!

Nightibis

Sep 5, 2011
Rock Hill, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Polywog here. We were on our way toward the equator while doing LEO Ops with the shallow water Navy when we got called back to port to drop off the Coast Guard guys and load up on Ammo. They had assigned us to the America battlegroup and we were being re-deployed to the Pesian Gulf for Desert Shield and Storm. The Irony, I had just left the damn Persian Gulf where I spent a year on the LaSalle living in Bahrain. I think I was the only one on board who had ever been in the Gulf. I never got my ribbon for Leo Ops, (had to do 6 months to get it), Never got my shellback, (We were about 25 miles away when we got called back to Charleston). Neptune was going to hold court in two days. We were already preparing. The Chiefs were like giddy school girls.

Funny, both ships were decomissioned not long after I left. The William V. Pratt and The Lasalle. I was decommision crew on the Pratt after Shield and Storm.

P-TEX

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2012
Pasadena, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Became a shellback on the USCG Hamilton sometime around '05. She has since been sold to Peru I think..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread