What's new

Its old for sure--but I need help.

BuckleBoy

Platinum Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
18,159
Reaction score
9,723
Golden Thread
4
Location
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
4
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's old for sure--but I need help.

Hello All,


This item was the only brass find at an early site of mine that wasn't either a flat button or a thimble. I don't know what it is, but I know the site was early. There was very little trash found--maybe one or two pieces of can slaw out of three hunts. We got over 30 buttons, 5 thimbles, a handfull of musketballs, and an 1838 Seated Dime.


Any ideas on what this piece is? Is it something weapon-related? The piece is cast and filed.




Best Wishes,



Buckles

A 058.webp

A 068.webp

A 078.webp
 
Re: It's old for sure--but I need help.

a Ferrule from a chisel handle ?
 
Upvote 0
Re: It's old for sure--but I need help.

mojjax said:
a Ferrule from a chisel handle ?
Yes the slot reminds me of a ferrule.
 
Upvote 0
Re: It's old for sure--but I need help.

I also thought "ferrule" when I found it--but the slot in it is recessed in a bowl-shaped depression. I haven't seen that in a ferrule before...


:icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
Re: It's old for sure--but I need help.

Possibly for a file handle. The "dish" would help you center and start the tang, and the slots would accomidate the wide shoulder.

I also have an old screwdriver that is a 3/4 wide flat steel blank pressed into a wood handle with a ferrule.
 
Upvote 0
Re: It's old for sure--but I need help.

Its part of a barrel tap (or spigot).
 
Upvote 0
Re: It's old for sure--but I need help.

yeap had to have a key like this to open and close valve...
 

Attachments

  • spikgotkey2.webp
    spikgotkey2.webp
    43.6 KB · Views: 223
Upvote 0
Re: It's old for sure--but I need help.

I'm Sold! Thanks crusader and relicdude! :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Re: It's old for sure--but I need help.

maybe a nipple wrench, percussion firearms..
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom