ink-a-alot
Sr. Member
- Joined
- Dec 14, 2008
- Messages
- 348
- Reaction score
- 2
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- East Texas
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting

BuckleBoy said:Whale bone or ivory tusk. Depends on whether it's genuine scrimshaw, pre-ivory ban African carving, or what.
Unfortunately that's outside of my realm of knowledge.
-Buckles

CRUSADER said:BuckleBoy said:Whale bone or ivory tusk. Depends on whether it's genuine scrimshaw, pre-ivory ban African carving, or what.
Unfortunately that's outside of my realm of knowledge.
-Buckles
why did you reply then
Just kidding, same reason why I replied here...........

CRUSADER said:Montana Jim said:One that I cannot help with.
me too
Montana Jim said:Looks like an unknown ivory tusk carving.![]()
One that I cannot help with.
olepossum said:take a pair of pliers and a sewing needle heat it up and in a unseen to eyes place try and insert the hot needle if it goes right in it is either plastic or resin i also reitterate that i know nothing about ivory other than a racoon --deleted-- bone is considered american ivory

plehbah said:One item that I can contribute, is that if it is determined to have an African provenance over an Asian, that is no guarantee either that it is made of ivory.
That is one of the big games over there; trick Mizungu into buying your "ivory" or "amber" or "ancient mask".
"You are my first customer of the day, you bring very good luck!"
Montana Jim said:I would HAVE to guess it's an elephant ivory... hence the elephant-walk depicted in the artwork.
.