✅ SOLVED Japanese sword text

Oct 1, 2018
Western PA, Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all. I tried to translate what it says on this sword I found for sale, but I'm not having any luck. Can anybody read this?
img.jpg

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello all. I tried to translate what it says on this sword I found for sale, but I'm not having any luck. Can anybody read this?
View attachment 2119236
Looks like there might be some of the information missing (Incomplete)
Here's a link to the maker's stamps for swords if it's from Japan even.

Upvote 1

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm on the fence on this being Japanese writing, seems too fluid/loose to me, looks something like Arabic, Indian, Hindu etc. But then again I could be wrong.

A good place to post and get a diffinitive answer would be in the Japanese section of wehmacht awards. There are several sword experts on there, that can read/translate Japanese. I can cross post for you over there and link the thread here. A complete picture of the sword and scabbard would be helpful in IDing it.

Last edited:
Upvote 3

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm on the fence on this being Japanese writing, seems to fluid/loose to me,ooks something like Arabic, Indian, Hindu etc. But then again I could be wrong.

A good place to post and get a diffinitive answer would be in the Japanese section of wehmacht awards. There are several sword experts on there, that can read/translate Japanese. I can cross post for you over there and link the thread here. A complete picture of the sword and scabbard would be helpful in IDing it.

Have to be a member to view your link Sarge

Upvote 2

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 2

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Upvote 2

FailCat

Jan 11, 2014
Washington State
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am generally not good at Japanese but I can read hiragana and katakana. This is Japanese hiragana that I think says (Google Translate links so you can see the characters) "anitsuiteha" or "anitsuiteo". I have no idea what this is actually supposed to be/mean, but that's what the characters look like to me.

Upvote 2

FailCat

Jan 11, 2014
Washington State
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's Japanese, hiragana. I might be wrong on the second character, but I think it's:
Atatsuiteha

ah-tah-su-ee-teh-ha
That second character looks more like a (ni) than a (ta) to me, but this person's penmanship is worse than mine is (and that's saying something, LOL), so it's hard to say. 🤷‍♀️

Upvote 2

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's Japanese, hiragana. I might be wrong on the second character, but I think it's:
Atatsuiteha

ah-tah-su-ee-teh-ha
Perhaps... good call.

I was thinking possible Grass Script.
This sword IS Japanese... I need to see the rest of it... in detail ... to see if a modern repro or ?
So...
More pictures with Habaki removed (collar)... and detail of Mune (back of blade / spine).
Plus a few more pictures overall.... including any and all hardwares.
BTW..
From picture you either have a Tanto... Or a Wakizashi / nihontō.

Last edited:
Upvote 1

IHC656

Jul 17, 2023
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you sure it is Japanese? Some Vietnamese swords and Burmese dhas look very similar to Japanese swords. Pictures of the complete item might help.
I can tell you for sure this is not Vietnamese text.
Example:
Chào buổi sáng (translation- good morning)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread