JESSE JAMES AND THE KNIGHTS OF THE GOLDEN CIRCLE A JOINT VENTURE

And....you prove my point again.....
had you took the time to read it completely

HA! I usually DON'T read the link(s), taking ppl's word for the info presented... you ARE "living in the past"; give us an up-date of your "search", TODAY! THANKS!

You really don't have to try do you Rebel......:laughing7: You are like a biscuit full of something....but I don't think it's honey...

L.C.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
View attachment 1034196

Now you Know for a fact that Jesse W. James was in the K.G.C./O.A.K. and who his connection (go-between) was at Nebraska City. You will also see with a little research how the deposits of stolen Gold were easily laundered into legal tender for land speculations, oil wells, cattle and horse operations, government freight contracts...etc. etc........etc. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Happy reading, L.C.:thumbsup:

P.S. You will also see how he knew what train the gold was on and what time to be there to get it and who was telling him the information.

Jesse soon settled in Kansas City, and was planning a raid on the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad somewhere near Gallatin, Mo. It was said that the trains brought large sums of cash to the Farmer’s Exchange Bank there twice a week. On the evening of July 15, 1881, the gang struck near the whistle stop at Winston. Conductor William Westfall was killed in the process. It was later said that Westfall had been on the train that took Pinkerton detectives on their 1875 raid on the James farm, but this was apparently not known at the time. The crime created a sensation in the press. Governor Thomas T. Crittenden, who had vowed to rid the state of the James Gang in his campaign the year before, held a meeting in St. Louis with railroad and express company executives, who promised a collective reward of $50,000 to put the gang out of business. Frank and Jesse had a reward of $5,000 each on their heads for their capture and delivery to authorities, with another $5,000 on conviction. There was no mention of it being dead or alive.

Who owned and operated that railroad line.?and by 1903.? ?....how did they come by their shares and positions?Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad :thumbsup: L.C. Baker

Congressional Serial Set - Google Books

Last edited:
The most famous picture ever of Jesse W. James was taken at Nebraska City, Nebraska in 1875. Jesse was 27 years old. The Pinkerton Agency had been hired to stop the train robberies in 1874, sent a detective named Joseph Whicher to Clay County to track down Frank and Jesse. He went to the James farm and was later found dead. Other Pinkerton detectives engaged in a gun battle with the Younger brothers who were members of the James gang. John Younger was killed. One of the detectives and a local ally of the Pinkertons was also killed. Agency head Alan Pinkerton vowed vengeance on the James brothers. Meanwhile, their banditry became a political issue, with Unionists denouncing Democrats for failing to capture the brothers. Yet over a year after this happened, Jesse was able to ride down main street in Nebraska City with a large price on his head "DEAD or ALIVE" and remain safe with no harassment or being arrested. He took his time, got dressed up nice, dismounted and posed. If that is not a sitting duck then what is? How could Jesse do this? HE WAS AMONG BROTHERS in the secret society that was at that time known as the Order of American Knights, in a city that was built by the Knights of the Golden Circle. It would have been the same for John Wilkes Booth during his escape in 1866 when he stopped by Nebraska City to most likely be paid for his deed, however at that time it was the K.G.C. that had control of the City.

L.C.

The Missouri Partisan Ranger - Jesse Woodson James

P.S. January 25, 1875
Believing Frank and Jesse are in residence, Pinkerton organizes a raid on Zerelda's home. Several locals join the detectives in the assault, but they retreat when an incendiary device hurled into the house explodes by mistake, wounding Zerelda and killing Jesse's eight-year-old half-brother Archie. Could the greatest detectives of the day not figure out where Jesse was boldly riding down the street among friends?

Last edited:
The most famous picture ever of Jesse W. James was taken at Nebraska City, Nebraska in 1875. Jesse was 27 years old. The Pinkerton Agency had been hired to stop the train robberies in 1874, sent a detective named Joseph Whicher to Clay County to track down Frank and Jesse. He went to the James farm and was later found dead. Other Pinkerton detectives engaged in a gun battle with the Younger brothers who were members of the James gang. John Younger was killed. One of the detectives and a local ally of the Pinkertons was also killed. Agency head Alan Pinkerton vowed vengeance on the James brothers. Meanwhile, their banditry became a political issue, with Unionists denouncing Democrats for failing to capture the brothers. Yet over a year after this happened, Jesse was able to ride down main street in Nebraska City with a large price on his head "DEAD or ALIVE" and remain safe with no harassment or being arrested. He took his time, got dressed up nice, dismounted and posed. If that is not a sitting duck then what is? How could Jesse do this? HE WAS AMONG BROTHERS in the secret society that was at that time known as the Order of American Knights, in a city that was built by the Knights of the Golden Circle. It would have been the same for John Wilkes Booth during his escape in 1866 when he stopped by Nebraska City to most likely be paid for his deed, however at that time it was the K.G.C. that had control of the City.

L.C.

The Missouri Partisan Ranger - Jesse Woodson James

P.S. January 25, 1875
Believing Frank and Jesse are in residence, Pinkerton organizes a raid on Zerelda's home. Several locals join the detectives in the assault, but they retreat when an incendiary device hurled into the house explodes by mistake, wounding Zerelda and killing Jesse's eight-year-old half-brother Archie. Could the greatest detectives of the day not figure out where Jesse was boldly riding down the street among friends?

THANKS for info/site; I am ALSO doing R & I on Q's Guerrillas...

You seem to have forgotten James relation with Quantrill and who he rode with during "Bloody Kansas" and CSA Gen Joe Shelby testifing on the behalf of Frank James in a court trial long after the WAR.

I wanted to expand on this link when you said it but it must have escaped me ECS. Better late than never.
Logan Enyart was Jesse's connection in Nebraska City. He would turn out to be quite a wealthy man when he was alive and made his brother Ab "THE" richest man in the world when he died. Logan's first wife was Lucy Ann Chiles the sister of the Chiles boys that were also Quantrills boys ( Roster of Quantrill's, Anderson's and Todd's Guerrillas who fought along the Missouri-Kansas border before and during the Civil War. ). The James Gang and John Wilkes Booth ( https://books.google.com/books?id=P...age&q=John Wilkes Booth Nebraska City&f=false ) came in and out of this area at will without hassle from the authorities (K.G.C.). If you get the time read about them and let me know what you think.

https://books.google.com/books?id=s...BfwQ6AEIMDAE#v=onepage&q=logan enyart&f=false

L.C.:thumbsup:

With all of the trains running on the tracks in both directions. How do you think Jesse was able to hit the ones with federal payrolls onboard?

:icon_scratch: L.C.

"Jesse James committed the robbery of a moving train on the evening of July 21, 1873, approximately a mile and a half west of Adair, Iowa. A "Chicago Rock Island Train" The locomotive tender and two baggage cars were thrown from the track. Out of the bushes came the outlaws firing their guns in the air and causing panic among the crewmen and passengers. Jesse and his brother, Frank, with .44's cocked, confronted the express messenger. He quickly opened the safe, was tied and thrown into a corner.

The passengers, slightly injured in the accident, were confronted by armed men masked in full Klu Klux Klan garb. Panic set in with women and children screaming and crying and men hiding their cash, watches and jewelry. All the loot was dumped into bags and the robbers rode off, uttering a rebel yell characteristic of the Civil War period. They disappeared as quickly as they had come."

OR

"Engineer Rafferty was killed, but there were two versions of how his death occurred. One report revealed that he had been shot by the robbers–another that he died from concussion when the car overturned.

It all happened so quickly that no one could confirm just how many robbers were involved. As some of the robbers emptied the safe, two made their way to the passenger cars where they threatened the riders to keep their heads down. After taking the money from the safe and ransacking the mail bags, the robbers jumped off the rear of the train “under cover of a half dozen revolvers.” Mounting their horses, they headed in a southerly direction “across the prairie.”

at any rate: Law enforcement agents formed a posse and went in pursuit of the robbers and in September, 1873, the Lafayette County Vigilantes Committee, "traced the train robbers to Johnson City, St. Clair County, and surrounded the house where they were supposed to be hiding, but the birds had flown. The band consisted of three Youngs and the James brothers. McCoy was not with them. There was a reported fight between the robbers and vigilantes and the wounding of one of the Youngs. It was believed that the robbers had started for Texas." The Rock Island Daily Argus, July 25, 1873, stated that "A telegram from Wells, Fargo & Co., at San Francisco, Cal. fixes the sealed package taken by the robbers at $637, making the total amount secured by the robbers $2,337. Of that, $950 belonged to the CRI & P Company, and was being transported for them." That is the largest amount stolen from anyone involved that lost money. It was insured. later on there were records kept of that sort of information. https://books.google.com/books?id=1...d and pacific railroad insured losses&f=false

In conclusion: If you trace the money and the shares you will end up with Paul Morton the son of Julius Sterling who was a personal friend and Brother to Logan Enyart and Jesse James. https://books.google.com/books?id=I...land and pacific railroad Paul Morton&f=false 12JSMorton.jpg800px-Paul_Morton.jpg

Last edited:
L.C. BAKER:

I believe the first robbery of a moving train in America was the work of the Reno Brothers in October, 1866. They took $13,000 from an Ohio & Mississippi train in Jackson County, Indiana, after stopping it.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

l.C. BAKER:

Now, if you can only tell me what happened to the loot from the Reno Brothers' train robbery...

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

"Yet over a year after this happened, Jesse was able to ride down main street in Nebraska City with a large price on his head 'DEAD or ALIVE'..."

I'm familiar with the $5,000 reward offered in 1881 - for the arrest and conviction of both Jesse and Frank James. I did not know there was an earlier reward "dead or alive." Although I've see that in tv shows and movies, and perhaps even read about such a reward in novels, I've never seen evidence that such rewards were ever actually offered.

The famous $50,000 reward for John Wilkes Booth was for his "apprehension." Before his demise, of course.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back