Possible Marker Tree in the Wichita Mountains?

okhistorian80

Apr 25, 2023
Oklahoma City
Hello all! I am just a historian/hiker from Oklahoma who was out for a hike when I noticed this tree. It pulled me down a rabbit hole, which brought me here. I saw this tree and thought it looked odd so I took the picture. I was talking to some friends about it, and they brought up the KGC and Jesse James and Hoot Owl Trees. I am about 4 days new to all of this, so I really don't know much. This tree is in a remote location of the Wichita Mountains in Oklahoma, an area long associated with Jesse James and buried treasure. I know that detecting is illegal in this refuge, and on top of that I wouldn't know how to decipher any clues to find the treasure, so that is not really my goal here. Right now I am just curious if anyone agrees with my friends that this appears to be some sort of marker tree, or if it just a strangely grown tree. It does appear to have an upside down triangle carved into it and I'm no tree-ologist, but my theory is the tree grew around a rock which caused it to form strangely and be scarred by the rock. So please and thank you in advance, what do you folks think about this thing?

Attachments

• Weird Tree.jpg
    Weird Tree.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 108
OP
OP
okhistorian80

okhistorian80

Apr 25, 2023
Oklahoma City
Maybe research the tree type for the age. Probably just me but I don’t think there are many marker trees left. They just aren’t old enough anymore
Thanks, CreekSide! I did some research and, to the best of my limited knowledge, I believe it to be a Post Oak Tree. They do sometimes grow funny, and can live between 200-400 years (!?!?!?! Who knew ?!?!?!) I really appreciate the lead!

point hunter

Feb 1, 2007
West Monroe, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI 2500
Hello all! I am just a historian/hiker from Oklahoma who was out for a hike when I noticed this tree. It pulled me down a rabbit hole, which brought me here. I saw this tree and thought it looked odd so I took the picture. I was talking to some friends about it, and they brought up the KGC and Jesse James and Hoot Owl Trees. I am about 4 days new to all of this, so I really don't know much. This tree is in a remote location of the Wichita Mountains in Oklahoma, an area long associated with Jesse James and buried treasure. I know that detecting is illegal in this refuge, and on top of that I wouldn't know how to decipher any clues to find the treasure, so that is not really my goal here. Right now I am just curious if anyone agrees with my friends that this appears to be some sort of marker tree, or if it just a strangely grown tree. It does appear to have an upside down triangle carved into it and I'm no tree-ologist, but my theory is the tree grew around a rock which caused it to form strangely and be scarred by the rock. So please and thank you in advance, what do you folks think about this thing?
The branch on the left side which is undercut and pointing left is the direction to follow, IMO. There should be more signs within walking distance and possibly buried metal clues under the tree pictured.

OP
OP
okhistorian80

okhistorian80

Apr 25, 2023
Oklahoma City
The branch on the left side which is undercut and pointing left is the direction to follow, IMO. There should be more signs within walking distance and possibly buried metal clues under the tree pictured.
I haven't been back out since I took that picture, but I had similar thoughts so I looked at it on google maps. There is an obviously man-made pond about 100 yards in the direction that branch is pointing. I wish I could find out who made the pond and when! I plan on going back out sometime soon, I'll look around and see if there's anything else. I hate to sound too corny, but just confirming that this is a marker tree, and learning about them in general, would be enough of a treasure for me!! Thanks for the pointers, point hunter!!

point hunter

Feb 1, 2007
West Monroe, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI 2500
Based on what you said about the pond, the grown over blaze on the tree could possibly represent the drain leading to the pond and the pond itself. You need more time with boots on the ground there,

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to me like a healed wound to the tree like a main limb broken off from a storm. I live about 30 miles east of there. Lots of rattlesnakes and copperheads in the refuge. Be careful hiking there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread