Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,
I was fortunate to be invited to hunt a really nice site with my friend Ron. Lots of wooded acres, former 1800's farm, several old foundations, plus lake frontage...I call it "MDer's Nirvana." There were even porta-johns in the woods, although the mice had had a field day with the TP. :laughing7: Ron and I both found wheats but couldn't find any silver this time. My best find was the Melvin Purvis Junior G-Man corps badge. Melvin Purvis was a successful FBI agent who led the manhunts that caught outlaws such as Baby Face Nelson, Pretty Boy Floyd, and John Dillinger. Neat history, I'll include more at the bottom. Ron gave me a quart milk bottle he found at the last foundation. Is it hard to read, but says "Cloverleaf Dairy Company, Gary, IN." Also found my nicest Prince Albert tobacco container. :wink:

HH,
Michiganne

After leaving the Federal Bureau of Investigation and a brief stint in Hollywood, Melvin Purvis hosted a children’s radio program called “Junior G-Men” in 1936. Purvis had become a national hero for his record as an FBI agent during the so-called "war on crime" in the early 1930s, most notably for leading the manhunt that ended with the death of John Dillinger. As a result of this fame, Purvis was seen as a real-life counterpart to the fictional detectives, such as Dick Tracy, that proliferated in the popular culture targeting boys during this period. As part of the radio program, listeners could join a "Junior G-Men" club and receive badges, manuals, and secret agent props. Shortly thereafter, Purvis became the face of breakfast cereal Post Toasties promotional detective club. The cereal company’s fictional “Inspector Post” and his “Junior Detective Corps” metamorphosed into an image of Purvis inviting boys and girls to become “secret operators” in his “Law and Order Patrols.”

As a result of this mass exposure, Junior G-Men clubs sprouted up throughout the United States and Canada as a "law and order" themed alternative to the Boy Scouts. Junior G-Men clubs found support from police departments and non-profit organizations that saw them as a means of combating juvenile delinquency. The clubs structured children's time with activities designed to instill law-abiding attitudes, as reflected in their slogan "It's easier to build boys than to mend men."

Attachments

• P1220389comp.jpg
    P1220389comp.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 211
  • P1220394comp.jpg
    P1220394comp.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 160
  • P1220400comp.jpg
    P1220400comp.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 129
  • P1220402comp.jpg
    P1220402comp.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that badge is amazing thats something you dont see everyday congrats :headbang:

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool badge you found there Anne, a big congrats on that one :thumbsup:

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is the best looking one I have seen! That will have a real good shot in the FOM this month! WTG Annie!

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
I've found some cool dairy bottles at my sites. But that badge is awesome. I would call it a top prize. I geuss your a Top of the Line G Woman! Good detective work sister!

mjc_lakedweller

Nov 14, 2011
Kzoo County, MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro,
Garrett ACE350,
Fisher CZ-20,
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What can I say? Awesome find! Is the pin still attached. Sounds like you might have a chance at consecutive FOM. Way to go Anne. Who could ask for anything more...privies in the woods? There have been a few times that I ... well ... 'nuff said. Congrats on the sweet finds.

OP
OP
Michiganne

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found some cool dairy bottles at my sites. But that badge is awesome. I would call it a top prize. I geuss your a Top of the Line G Woman! Good detective work sister!

LOL Thanks, MS. :icon_thumright: When I first pulled it out of the dirt it looked like a piece of scrap metal until I could see it was symmetrical.

OP
OP
Michiganne

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What can I say? Awesome find! Is the pin still attached. Who could ask for anything more...privies in the woods? There have been a few times that I ... well ... 'nuff said.

Thanks, mjc. Nope, no pin left on back. Yeah, I was happy to see the porta johns were still out there. :icon_thumright: (The area is still in use today as a camp.)

seatedhalf

Dec 28, 2007
Parma MI
Detector(s) used
M6 and DFX and now a E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice badge Anne. This time of year I need a heater and a porta-john out there.

OP
OP
Michiganne

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice badge Anne. This time of year I need a heater and a porta-john out there.

Thanks T. It actually wasn't too cold Sun. because the wind was light. I did have a "Hot hand" thing in each glove to keep the fingertips warm. :blob8:

xmarks73

Jan 1, 2011
S.E Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Ace 250, and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! What a hunt! Love the badge! That will be a nice addition to your collection. :)

Brentallica

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool badge Anne!! :hello2: . Interesting history as well. Thanks for sharing!

kaptainkosmic

Jul 7, 2004
S.W. Michigan
Detector(s) used
CZ-20 When its Wet, Garret 1350 When its Not.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Anne, What a great find that badge is, just plain cool!

I would also like to comment on what I and many others would consider the phenominal progress you have made as a detectorist!!!!
It wasn't to long ago you were a eager beginner. Now just a few years later with help from some great mentors, some friends sharing some great sites and some real effort and dedication on your part you represent the very best of our hobby! I know you're already sharing your knowledge and passing a love of this hobbie on to friends and family, for that I salute you and wish you many successful and more importantly FUN hunts. Great Job!

Steve :-)

OP
OP
Michiganne

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anne, What a great find that badge is, just plain cool!

I would also like to comment on what I and many others would consider the phenominal progress you have made as a detectorist!!!!
It wasn't to long ago you were a eager beginner. Now just a few years later with help from some great mentors, some friends sharing some great sites and some real effort and dedication on your part you represent the very best of our hobby! I know you're already sharing your knowledge and passing a love of this hobbie on to friends and family, for that I salute you and wish you many successful and more importantly FUN hunts. Great Job!

Steve :-)

Steve,
Thank you for your kind words. :) I guess it's been a good MDing year and doing the research and getting onto some old sites has helped with the finds. The encouragement of everyone here keeps me going when the finds are slim. :thumbsup: I have good friends and mentors that have helped with hunting and research tips. You all know who you are. :award_star_silver_1 It is a lot of fun and I'm surprised more women aren't into this hobby.....or maybe I'm just different. LOL

Having more fun than a girl should playing in the dirt. :icon_pirat:

HH,
Michiganne
p.s. Your health challenges are in our thoughts and prayers.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice badge Anne, like the milk bottle too - really collectible - and I hear you have Prince Albert in a can - better let him go!

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love that badge!

I found one about 2 weeks ago - will post a pic of it in a day or 2

yours is older I believe!

HH

OP
OP
Michiganne

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one about 2 weeks ago - will post a pic of it in a day or 2

yours is older I believe!

HH

Sweet. Would love to see a pic of it. :icon_thumright: The sandy soil was kind to mine.

HH,
Michiganne

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet finds Anne, sounds like a blast and a great place to hunt!....love the badge!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions