Just about to call it quits for the day. 1855 Seated Half !

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today a fellow Tnet member and I hit up a few of my local sites. Site 1 and 2 there were no good finds to speak of. Then we went to site 3, also not much worth mentioning. Then just about quitting time I dug this 1855 O Half! Yeah! :laughing7: Finds from site #3. 018.JPG Some broken clay pipe surface finds and the half. 019.JPG 020.JPG 021.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 35

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, I keep wishing for seated, I think I would faint if I found that beauty! Congrats!

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice to find a half, better to find a seated half, excellent to find one that looks like that! Congrats!

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score, that's a great looking half! :occasion14:

Steve

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That coin is a beauty bud. Congrats on that one and sticking with it

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That is in awesome condition! Congrats! Beautiful half!
That must have been a loud signal !

Agent Green

Jul 19, 2013
Midwest
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, Tesoro Silver Umax,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find.. I agree Banner.. Congrats!! :occasion14:

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't recall seeing a seated ANYTHING as nice as that one. A hearty congratulations on a superb coin.

ArmyJoe

Apr 30, 2014
S. Korea
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find Helix!!! I found my first and only seated dime a few weeks back in a park near Chicago. I love the seated coins! Happy Hunting!

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The half does have a few small plow nicks barely visible in pictures but still one of the most beautiful coins I have ever found. At first I thought it was an aluminum can pull top. Then I brushed some dirt away from the edges to see if there were reeds and there where. OH Yeah! It always gets exciting when your out detecting a 175 year old site and you come across a large reeded silver coin like that. Especially when the site has not seen activity in over 100 years so good chances its going to be older silver. Very interesting before ya pull the coin, not knowing what it is yet.

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible Find! Way to go!

ArmyJoe

Apr 30, 2014
S. Korea
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indeed Helix! I found my seated dime at a park that is currently in use! The date on my dime is 1891 so it just goes to show ya that silver can be anywhere! The odds are more in your favor if you can find an old site that was used for a period of time by lots of people and then abandoned. That plus your Morgan Dollar make this a great year for you! Keep digging em up!

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indeed Helix! I found my seated dime at a park that is currently in use! The date on my dime is 1891 so it just goes to show ya that silver can be anywhere! The odds are more in your favor if you can find an old site that was used for a period of time by lots of people and then abandoned. That plus your Morgan Dollar make this a great year for you! Keep digging em up!

Yeah this has been a good year for large 1800's silver for me. Thanks. You never know about parks, true.. I did find my first Large Cent in a heavily detected park. As far as old coins go at that park, I have only found one silver rosie and a few wheats and a 1856 LC. Who would of thought there would be an LC to be found there??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread