Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hope I'm not boring most of you with all this, but this is pretty exciting stuff for me. I finally found a website where you can type in the family name and bring up a pic of the crest. But you have to purchase the image. Instead I just did a "control-print screen" and pasted into another program, then cropped as needed. Definitely a match. I'm now in the process of researching other prominent families that may have visited this site to see if I can get a match on the other seal. One of the other seals I dug here a year ago was from a personalized bottle a guest brought with him during a visit to this site, or was possibly a gift from this person to the resident. So this method of solving the puzzle can definitely work. Maybe I'll get lucky again. I know the 2nd seal is not from the owner of the site as we've found and confirmed several of these already, and they are entirely different from the other seal dug on Friday.

Attachments

• chicheley crest2.jpg
    chicheley crest2.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Upvote 4
I've seen that site, its pretty generic (with its Coats of Arms) & not all that accurate, its more commercial than historic, but that said, it can help.

Not boring at all,very exciting!

Very cool Bill. I would like to see a group shot of all your bottle seals.

Cool finds bill, Hope you can Id the other seal..........................HH

WTG, Bill! I'm with Steve, let's see your other seals!! You have me excited now, I think I may have picked up one or two seals back in the days I hunted S.C.!!

IM

Not boring at all,I love to see what everyone is finding and putting together ll the little parts of the puzzle is the best part.

Nice work on the research Bill, I too prefer to find free information :)
It is SO satisfying to get the results you did.
I was recently able to connect two unusual lead seals that I found to the Scottish 'Boyd' clan through their family arms.
(not bottle seals, likely from casks)
They operated a distillery in the 18th/19th century. Best wishes, Herbie.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back