Just happened again in dimes - another solid silver roll

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
Went to bank today near home $75 in dimes and $20 in nickels - this place is great, the only place I eat where I dump - every week or so I swap them $75 in dimes and $20 in nickels for new CWR. Started doing this upon the coin shortage because at first they wouldn't give me any rolls and I said I collect and I just look through them and bring them back.

Picked up the dimes and when I got home I saw an ender of 1948. Opened the roll and solid silver - 42 Roosevelt and 8 mercs. I still can't believe this - 2 episodes of solid silver dimes in 3 days.

For those that wonder - this bank is no where near the one I got the 6 near-solid rolls on Monday - about 20 miles separate the two.

Rest of the rolls had nothing. Already went back to see if more but nothing.

Thanks for looking

dimes 11-4.jpg

Upvote 0

blueberra

Oct 15, 2009
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It seems with your posts and some other recent posts that CWR is the only place where anyone is finding any silver these days.

My half-dollar boxes have been virtually silver-free this year and I don't see anywhere near as many posts from lucky box hunters as in past years.

I guess the strategy is to cultivate a relationship with the bank tellers and bank manager and hope it pays off when someone turns in some rolls.

OP
OP
C

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
I forgot to reply with quote. This is a reply to Blueberra's post above

I have never been a box searcher. I have to reroll to dump (no machines near me) and it's a pain in the neck to open MWR and reroll. I like CWR because people may roll stuff they have saved for years - like what just happened (alternatively you can find another CRHer's dump which happens all the time). It is easy to reroll CWR also.

I have only searched 3 or 4 boxes of halves and have never found anything so I don't even bother. Even if I go into a bank and they have MWR halves I only take 2 or 3 to get a sampling and if anything there I go back. I may be missing something by not taking them all, but I made that choice and if the next CRHer goes in and buys them and finds silver, then great for them.

In many cases I just say to the tellers that I collect coins. More times than not it helps - they have saved coins for me in the past. Recently got a whole roll of steel cents that way. In these last 2 cases, the dime rolls were random - they don't save those for me - I just got lucky being in right place at right time. The bank from yesterday also had $80 in halves, but they were MWR that had one end folded over so someone's dump. I said it was from another collector so I passed. They understood.

Last edited:

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This hobby can be streaky - both good and bad. Congrats again!

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup I avoid MWRs when I can but I can't be too picky with the coin shortage.

OP
OP
C

CJ9

Dec 15, 2018
NYC area
Primary Interest:
Other
This hobby can be streaky - both good and bad. Congrats again!

Thanks. Been on both sides of the streak. At the beginning of 2019 I searched close to $1,500 in dimes before finding one silver.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks. Been on both sides of the streak. At the beginning of 2019 I searched close to $1,500 in dimes before finding one silver.
All those solid silver rolls really skews the average, don’t it? Darn.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions