What's new

just wondering?

onfire

Silver Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
2,708
Reaction score
1,336
Golden Thread
0
Location
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny that some people really get a super box once in a while, I know from reading here these boxs come from brinks Etc. Wondering how many of these boxs do they have on hand. With all the requests for boxs could they be getting down to the bottom of the rack where the old ones are. Or just luck of the draw, or could there be loads of old boxs on the bottom of the pile. ???
 
Upvote 0
New coins are constantly coming into the system. Say someone inherits grandpa's coin collection (or steals it), they take it to their local bank and run it thru the coin machine just like CRHers do with their dumps.

Eventually the machine bag gets full and is sent to Brinks (or wherever) and gets re-rolled and winds up in a Brinks box that somebody here finds.

I don't believe that in areas heavily hunted by CRHers that there exists pallets full of old boxes waiting to be found. Maybe in areas without CRHers there are some sitting around, but not in a town where boxes are being ordered all the time.

Jim
 
Do know from the date stamp on most of our boxes of late from one of our sources which started with March 19th 09 on them the last couple of orders were stamped March 13th 09 ; can't wait to get back to the dec. Boxes.
 
I always wonder, are there any banks that have not been Coin Roll Searched yet. We have heard stories in the past of people buying several rolls of Customer Rolled Halves and they were solid 40% and 90% percent halves, and the teller told them they were sitting there for months. Some where in some nook and cranny of this country has to be a bank with some oldies that have been resting awhile. I know not around here though, lol.
 
jim4silver said:
New coins are constantly coming into the system. Say someone inherits grandpa's coin collection (or steals it), they take it to their local bank and run it thru the coin machine just like CRHers do with their dumps.

Eventually the machine bag gets full and is sent to Brinks (or wherever) and gets re-rolled and winds up in a Brinks box that somebody here finds.

I don't believe that in areas heavily hunted by CRHers that there exists pallets full of old boxes waiting to be found. Maybe in areas without CRHers there are some sitting around, but not in a town where boxes are being ordered all the time.

Jim



When I was a kid, one of the neighborhood guys stole most of his fathers coin collection to buy beer with.

Unfortunately his dads collection consisted mostly of 20 dollar St Gauden gold pieces.

The lady who ran the beer store was more than happy to sell him all the beer he wanted for face value...

It is people like that guy whom we have to thank for the steady supply of silver out there.
 
It always was and always will be the luck of the draw. You never know where the next box came from!!!!! Rolls too!! :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:
 
Nowadays my boxes are dated very recent, within a month. Once I got a load that was dated the day before. HH Mark
 
This has been a topic of debate here since I have been posting here the last 2 years.
It stands to reason that there may be pallets of old coins sitting around. But for me and the area that I search, a metropolis of over 4 million people and 100's if not thousands of banks and credit unions, being serviced by primarily Brinks and Loomis. Most of the coins I get are coming off the top of the pallet that gets replenished with the coins they just delivered to the banks last week, to me, and numerous other CRH's in Southeastern MI.

Half dollars simply do not circulate in the general population. So 95% of the halves that I get every week are the same halves I got just weeks before, mixed in with some older coins that sat in someones closet for the last 30 + years. until he or she died or was robbed and were cashed in. How else would you explane the fact that I / we get Walkers mixed in with NIFC's or should I say coins that are dated after 2002?

If there were pallets of coins sitting at my local distributor, I gotta believe they are gathering dust and the ones up front get distributed and replenished just that fast.

Nobody on this board holds on to their returns very long because they need the cash to buy that next box.
In this half dollar game i gotta believe that there is a revolving door to the room where they process the coins at the supplier. and those stacks of boxed coin is more than likely growing rather than shrinking due to the economy.

The best way to deplete the supply of coins at the distributor is to spend as much as you can on pizza cigarettes movie rentals gasoline or wherever there are young people working behind that cash register because they, more than likely, will remove those coins from circulation and stick them in their closet for the next 30 years.

Mojo
 
obediah said:
Do know from the date stamp on most of our boxes of late from one of our sources which started with March 19th 09 on them the last couple of orders were stamped March 13th 09 ; can't wait to get back to the dec. Boxes.

I wouldn't put a lot of credence in the date stamped on the boxes. Though it should indicate exactly what inspector examined the box and on precisely what date; the 5x10x1 boxes I've received from one particular bank the last six months or so (50 - 60) all "claim" to have been examined by the same inspector and on the same date.

I have my doubts.
 
thurmownator said:
obediah said:
Do know from the date stamp on most of our boxes of late from one of our sources which started with March 19th 09 on them the last couple of orders were stamped March 13th 09 ; can't wait to get back to the dec. Boxes.

I wouldn't put a lot of credence in the date stamped on on boxes. Though it should indicate exactly what inspector examined the box and on precisely what date; the 5x10x1 boxes I've received from one particular bank the last six months or so (50 - 60) all "claim" to have been examined by the same inspector and on the same date.

I have my doubts.

Also, I have received boxes with date stamps in the future. So you know that they aren't really putting 100% effort/care into setting the date stamps correctly.
 
thurmownator said:
obediah said:
Do know from the date stamp on most of our boxes of late from one of our sources which started with March 19th 09 on them the last couple of orders were stamped March 13th 09 ; can't wait to get back to the dec. Boxes.

I wouldn't put a lot of credence in the date stamped on on boxes. Though it should indicate exactly what inspector examined the box and on precisely what date; the 5x10x1 boxes I've received from one particular bank the last six months or so (50 - 60) all "claim" to have been examined by the same inspector and on the same date.

I have my doubts.
I've my doubts too but will be getting 10 in less than 2 hours will see what the date on them is too; still hoping for a late Dec stamp on them, though the March stamped Boxes have been ok, not good just okay if ya knows what means.
 
My last box was stamped 5/11/95 and it was a skunk

I don't really understand how silver can find its way into these boxes, coin machines reject silver, and bank tellers pull it for themselves or others. So it doesn't make much sense that we are able to find silver in these boxes...
 
Electronova said:
My last box was stamped 5/11/95 and it was a skunk

I don't really understand how silver can find its way into these boxes, coin machines reject silver, and bank tellers pull it for themselves or others. So it doesn't make much sense that we are able to find silver in these boxes...

1995? Were there coins dated 1996 or newer? Seems to be a major plot hole in your theory.
 
DrDetector said:
Electronova said:
My last box was stamped 5/11/95 and it was a skunk

I don't really understand how silver can find its way into these boxes, coin machines reject silver, and bank tellers pull it for themselves or others. So it doesn't make much sense that we are able to find silver in these boxes...

1995? Were there coins dated 1996 or newer? Seems to be a major plot hole in your theory.

The first thing about the 1995 box was a separate fact, I've gone through more than one box...
 
I think most of the silver we find today is from the street. I would think that pallets of coins in boxes, sitting around for years, would either get brittle from lack of humidity or damp from too humid condtions. Proper rotation would prevent both problems. I also think alot of silver is held in bank vaults of small banks throughout the country, especially in privately owned banks. I found one that still had rolls of coins from when the bank opened in 1902. A teller showed me a roll of the dimes.

Can you imagine getting your hands on a roll of coins, the was all Barbers, except for a few Seateds and a Capped Bust or two.

Take care, Dave
 
Electronova said:
DrDetector said:
Electronova said:
My last box was stamped 5/11/95 and it was a skunk

I don't really understand how silver can find its way into these boxes, coin machines reject silver, and bank tellers pull it for themselves or others. So it doesn't make much sense that we are able to find silver in these boxes...

1995? Were there coins dated 1996 or newer? Seems to be a major plot hole in your theory.

You are assuming all counting machines reject silver. I believe most bank machines do not. You also assume most tellers pull silver. Most could care less, it's just their job. Add in the consumers that see a silver dime as just a dime and the thieves that just want cash, and there can be a lot going into the system.
HH
enamel7

The first thing about the 1995 box was a separate fact, I've gone through more than one box...
 
dave5710 said:
I think most of the silver we find today is from the street. I would think that pallets of coins in boxes, sitting around for years, would either get brittle from lack of humidity or damp from too humid condtions. Proper rotation would prevent both problems. I also think alot of silver is held in bank vaults of small banks throughout the country, especially in privately owned banks. I found one that still had rolls of coins from when the bank opened in 1902. A teller showed me a roll of the dimes.

Can you imagine getting your hands on a roll of coins, the was all Barbers, except for a few Seateds and a Capped Bust or two.

Take care, Dave
Yes, I remember someone posting of 2 Boxes of Solid Bens in original fed wrappers they got from a bank, which as near as I can surmise must be worth in the 6 figures now.
 
Electronova said:
My last box was stamped 5/11/95 and it was a skunk

I don't really understand how silver can find its way into these boxes, coin machines reject silver, and bank tellers pull it for themselves or others. So it doesn't make much sense that we are able to find silver in these boxes...

High speed rolling machines at places likw Brinks and Loomis are to fast to discriminate.

Mojo
 
Work ethics can also come into play. It is easier to put and grab boxes from the top. I was taught to rotate merchandise even if it is non-perishable. It may be that there is a supply house or two that are just waiting for some gung ho kid to rotate the stock.
 
Don't believe the date stamp on the box. I had a box once that contained coins minted the year after the date stamp. It was mentioned in one of my old posts.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom