What's new

Keep finding teeth!

timekiller

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2009
Messages
3,853
Reaction score
965
Golden Thread
1
Location
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found these quite often along the river shores in NC. I usually see them in areas where I find Indian artifacts. I found these while metal detecting around an old homesite from the late 1700s where I am finding early colonial and Indian relics washing out from the banks. I have been told that they are either teeth or hooves from either bison or horses. I figured alot of other people have probably found them also and may know more about them.
 

Attachments

  • 2009_0211River-Finds0002.webp
    2009_0211River-Finds0002.webp
    77 KB · Views: 518
texastee2007 said:
Teeth are correct...looks like you may have some real old ones there.

Thanks! I felt like they were probably teeth but I weren't sure. Have any idea wether they are from horses or bison or even something else?
 
Upvote 0
The pics below are bison teeth. The yellow arrows point to distinguishing feature of bison teeth.
 

Attachments

  • 2XB_TH.webp
    2XB_TH.webp
    34.6 KB · Views: 494
Upvote 0
From my angle, the bottom left looks like a deer. You may have a combination. Ill make a wild guess on the others- horse. You forgot something for size.
 

Attachments

  • mammoth tooth.webp
    mammoth tooth.webp
    29.7 KB · Views: 476
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
From my angle, the bottom left looks like a deer. You may have a combination. Ill make a wild guess on the others- horse. You forgot something for size.
Here's a pic showing the size of the largest ones. Thank you!
 

Attachments

  • 2009_0211River-Finds0008.webp
    2009_0211River-Finds0008.webp
    90.6 KB · Views: 462
Upvote 0
taz42o said:
The pics below are bison teeth. The yellow arrows point to distinguishing feature of bison teeth.
Thanks! That must be what they are. They look exactly like your picture! Well, that means they are very old since I live on the east coast of NC and it's been a long time since buffalo roamed this area. Thanks again!
 
Upvote 0
i have one similar with the roots still on!
 
Upvote 0
Looks like the horse one's we find in the UK.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom