Keep your finds safe! Are you?

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All pretty bad ideas. Honestly if you have a safe, you are asking to die if it is not well hidden. Here's something to think about and has happened quite a few times. Perp. breaks in, family is home; takes hostage-wife, kids, or you. Threatens to kill one of them if the safe isn't opened. It won't matter how big your safe is, if you or your family are DEAD. Be smart people. Bragging about a big safe is foolish. Having it in a easy to find place is a bad idea. Yes, your closet, MBR, Basement-all bad ideas. If a perp (or perps) know there are valuables and you refuse to give them up when confronted, you are a dead man if that safe is not opened. Rule 1-never discuss what you have or how much. Rule 2-if you have kids-make sure they NEVER tell their "friends" that you collect anything. Explain why! You are inviting temptation. The guy talking about hiding it under nasty, dirty clothes is probably much safer than the guy with the safe. Read up on some of the stories of these home intrusions and how the entire family was killed. Be very careful people. These are desparate times and there are a lot of undesirables out there.

A touch of paranoia with a hint of prejudice; I like it.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
All pretty bad ideas. Honestly if you have a safe, you are asking to die if it is not well hidden. Here's something to think about and has happened quite a few times. Perp. breaks in, family is home; takes hostage-wife, kids, or you. Threatens to kill one of them if the safe isn't opened. It won't matter how big your safe is, if you or your family are DEAD. Be smart people. Bragging about a big safe is foolish. Having it in a easy to find place is a bad idea. Yes, your closet, MBR, Basement-all bad ideas. If a perp (or perps) know there are valuables and you refuse to give them up when confronted, you are a dead man if that safe is not opened. Rule 1-never discuss what you have or how much. Rule 2-if you have kids-make sure they NEVER tell their "friends" that you collect anything. Explain why! You are inviting temptation. The guy talking about hiding it under nasty, dirty clothes is probably much safer than the guy with the safe. Read up on some of the stories of these home intrusions and how the entire family was killed. Be very careful people. These are desparate times and there are a lot of undesirables out there.

True enough. The best bet is concealment. I've got a fireproof safe concealed well enough, using the same technique. The only issue you may run into is if you use a static location, and you get into the safe on a regular basis. Too easy to slack off and leave it unconcealed.

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Donovan.flannery said:
mines goin under the floorboards today... pull back the carpet and lift the board up ;)

Or use the crawl space access. But to each his own.. Lol

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ScottNVAB said:

It's true. You people bragging about your 2000 lb safes..... LMFAO lot of good that will do you when you have a gun to you head. You say it's bolted down? Will that stop you from just opening the lock when you or you family life is on the line. Personal safes are the most pathetic idiotic thing I ever heard of. Your silver is ten times safer hidden in a plain box marked old sweaters......

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of my valuables were found metal detecting,You would probably make more stealing the scrap barrels than you would from my keeper collection lol.

I did an average keeper to trash ratio the other day,I dug 33 holes and found a total of 28 cents in clad and a MASS AMOUNT of junk aluminum,stainless,iron,etc....So basically id have to dig 120 holes to average a dollar per day on an average hunt in the terms of monetary value,But scrap metal is selling for a handsome price right now,The most valuable stuff is in the junk bin behind the garage lol.

HH John

Last edited:
OP
OP
TimZim

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you had family going in your home any time they want. When your not there with ladders in my 2nd and 3rd windows. You would have a safe to. Its a good thing to have your STUFF safe. If someone comes in my house to rob me. I hope there ready to DIE. I would give up what ever i am not going to let my family get hirt. plus i have good insureance. And why wouldany one be bragging about a safe??Its just keeping your stuff safe when your not home. If you had to pennys to rub togeather you might understand.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been working with using PVC pipe and making them into mobiles or candle holders in my room. And in the tubes I would put a bit of my silver in each one. Haven't done it yet. but I am just thinking about trying something like that out. But boy, someone would have to be seriously crazy to try and move a safe weighting over a ton. Wow..

PVC ruins coins in case you didn't know.

Last edited:

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
A giant bowl of chocolate chip ice cream topped with hot fudge is very good.

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
PVC ruins coins? Didn't know that but then I would only store my silver in them and not my normal coin collection. but like I said, I was just thinking about it. Safes are nice but its portablity that is my main concern. If I have to ditch out of my house there is just two bags I want to grab. My BOB and my silver collection, both of which would have copies of valueable papers, ie birth certificates of every family member, land deed, road maps and survival info. My silver isn't that big yet. I have around at the moment 32 oz of silver not counting my junk silver. I wish I had a ton of that stuff. But I have been toying around the idea of caches to bury around the property and on our second peice of land. to my knowledge PVC pipe can't be picked up by metal detectors and maybe if the pipe is thick enough it will throw off the detectors.

I was going to take a picture of my room to show my organized chaos but I kid you not I got a recharger for my camera and I thought finally but my camera broke! I just can't get a break. =(

Hugs and Smiles,
Garoulady

Rushfan

Aug 18, 2012
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Other
Bigscores... it's all good brother! No, never shot him a PM... most of his posts seem fine to me. Maybe I shouldn't drink so heavily? HH!

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Personally I just keep my stash hidden very well, I have other things out in the open that aren't very valuable but, someone else would think so and go for that first. If they thought that I did have coins of value, I'd just give them one of my bags of clad that I was getting ready to turn in, I'm sure they would take it and run. HH, Maverick.

Swade2K

Aug 4, 2012
kevinbomb123 said:
Just to clue you in,in a complete meltdown of society your gold and silver will be worth NOTHING.

Initially, you are correct. However, should you survive the initial atrocity, PMs will provide purchasing/bartering power here or abroad. Ya gotta have food, water, shelter and security long enough for things to stabilize.

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kevinbomb123 said:
Just to clue you in,in a complete meltdown of society your gold and silver will be worth NOTHING.

And your federal reserve notes will be worth less than nothing...

Swade2K

Aug 4, 2012
kevinbomb123 said:
PM's will store your "money" if you survive the event and government is reestablished,actual things of value during the event will be used as a form of barter,women,ammunition,alcohol.

Good thing I'm an alcoholic Mormon gun enthusiast!

OP
OP
TimZim

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the spelling bee By now you guys know me pretty good. I know i should care more about my spelling sorry i just don't. I do care about SEX SILVER AC and And my 718 oz of silver for the year. Life is good!! And by the way am getting a 4400 lb safe the last one will not hold the $50.000 i need it to hold. Life is good! I think i can start my 100 to 150 boxes a week november some time. I was going to put the $50.000 in a shoebox. But i do have the money for a safe so don't think so.

Last edited:

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
100-150 boxes a week? Holy smokies! I can just afford one box of halves so far. god bless anyone who has the capital for that many boxes. I wish everyone plenty of silver and strong shoulders for carrying the boxes.

Hugs and smiles,
Garoulady

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread