Keep your finds safe! Are you?

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't afford something like that. So here is my thing...

I hide my silver under my wastebasket in my room. My wastebasket has clothes in piles around it and it is filled with unpleasant things.People call my room messy. I call it organized chaos. I still can find everything in my room. And there is no way anyone is going to look under all those clothes and garbage to find silver. The cool thing is my bedroom window is right next to it, so (god forbid!!) my house should catch fire. I can spear my hand under the wastebasket, grab my silver and throw it out of the window. My silver bag also has copies of important documents for me and my mom.

I have been working with using PVC pipe and making them into mobiles or candle holders in my room. And in the tubes I would put a bit of my silver in each one. Haven't done it yet. but I am just thinking about trying something like that out. But boy, someone would have to be seriously crazy to try and move a safe weighting over a ton. Wow..

Hugs and Smiles,
Garoulady

Dark

Aug 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use your old safe as a decoy safe.
Put a bunch of fake jewelry in it to make a thief think they scored and leave.

But yea everyone. Keep your precious safe. As people get more desperate, they are willing to do more to get their hands on whatever they want.

sack0silver

Feb 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
mine are in a small safe that is a pain to get to. some are laying on the table here...theres a thumb-tac near them...try and steal them you might just get a pin prick!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
My hiding spot is booby-trapped with 3 twelve guage shotguns and a pitbull...now, even I can't get to my silver...sigh...

CurlysGold

Sep 23, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In a safe, bolted to the floor, 24hr video surveillance, remote location, and two dobermans. My stash isn't going anywhere.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Use your old safe as a decoy safe.
Put a bunch of fake jewelry in it to make a thief think they scored and leave.

This is called a Honey-Pot. Any intruders will go for the easy score, and also think they got it all if you are brazen enough to leave it out in the open.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a modified 1970's Pepsi Machine I gutted and reinforced with 2 inch steel bars 4 separate locks and inner cage. IT would take a torch to get into it without the key(s) and combo.

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Three letters; SDB. The best insurance and safety you can get and it costs me under $100 a year.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Three letters; SDB. The best insurance and safety you can get and it costs me under $100 a year.

I would never trust a Safe deposit box because if the bank fails, you'll be trying to get in through locked doors with hundreds of other customers wanting to get into there boxes.. I prefer mine in my own custody.. no ones getting in when I've got a angry pitbull and firearms in the way.

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
I just have them in a small safe, about 1 foot by 1 foot :( No lock on it, that broke about 5 years ago, going to walmart to pick up another, gunna bury it in the yard =D
Happy Hunting.
Wicka

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know. You need to hide it really well, or have a big safe. Little safes just scream "ALl my stuff is in here, walk off with it!"

And LOL @ messy room trash can. That could go very badly.

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know. You need to hide it really well, or have a big safe. Little safes just scream "ALl my stuff is in here, walk off with it!"

And LOL @ messy room trash can. That could go very badly.

I know, working on it :D
Thinking about getting those "mock outlets" that store money, could stack rolls of coins in there :D
WIcka

canaboy123

Sep 22, 2011
N/A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have all my silver in plastic tubes in a shoebox in my gun safe, then I have a loaded ar15 under my bed.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have all my silver in plastic tubes in a shoebox in my gun safe, then I have a loaded ar15 under my bed.

You should give them to the Federal Reserve to hold on to, it will be well cared for there!

canaboy123

Sep 22, 2011
N/A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should give them to the Federal Reserve to hold on to, it will be well cared for there!

They only deal with depositsy institutions according to the law, but I wish I could the New York fed for example the vault sits 50 feet below ground on bedrock and holds
Valuables for several countries, and more gold then Fort Knox.

Last edited:

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not a fan of SBDs either, but they do have their place. I dont keep all my eggs in one basket, nor should any of you. The best security is OPSEC!

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver (I know, I am a novice, give me a break! :P)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have my collection split up in a few places. Part is in a bank SDB that is insured by my renters insurance, part is in a family member's home in another state (in a safe), and my recent finds are locked up in my bolted safe in my place. I have hidden motion cams set up all around my place that uploads to the web in realtime, and has a one-push web-based button to alert authorities of suspicious activity. Overkill, maybe?

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I protect my silver with these:

sharks_with_frickin_laser_beams_attached_postcard-p239174773458964175baanr_400.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread