King Geo II - Musket Decoration Piece & An Old Ho Today ! !

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
King Geo II - Musket Decoration Piece & An Old Ho Today ! !

Barry came through today with a very old site , Definately a colonial American something or other ? Could have been a homestead but the amount of keeper finds was not in abundance :sad5: but it is in the supposed area of one of the forts I've searching for since early spring but whatever was on this site was no doubt old ! :icon_thumright:

Right off the bat I dug the super nice buckle , a sure sign of near future good finds ! Next I dug the hoe. I LOVE finding old tools of any sort from early colonial times , This piece is big and a bit primitive but I'm sure it did the job well !

I managed to zero in on what seemed to be the main area of habitation due to the continous iron targets and after several minutes of finding the hoe I dug the musket decoration piece. I did a little research :icon_study: on the British Brown Bess and the side piece is dang near identical to the piece I found today. Perhaps this old site was one of the many many homes and farms torched during one of Brants raids on the Mohawk valley :icon_scratch:

Even more interesting about this find is it is marked on the flat side . . it has what appears to be a broad arrow and two paralle marks ( ->ll ) I learned a long time ago the broad arrow was a British trade mark on nearly everything British made or owned. Maybe its just the manufactures marking :icon_scratch: ?

Lastly I dug a King Geo.II , a nice topper to the days finds. Not sure of the date because its hrd to read but maybe 1730.

Afterwards we hit the site across the road...Henry S. , a valley resident during the Rev war who took a musketball across the face during the battle of Oriskany. The site of his old homestead ( nothing left of it now ) produced handfulls of colonail buttons and even a few King Geo coppas and Lg Cents in the past. Only a small path has been cut past fe w days but enough of an area to get the coil down to bare ground and dont ya know it ... Barry nailed a SWEET Lg Cent !!

My Nikon is on its last leg....photos are not all that great so please bear with me.
I've included 2 photos of a repelica Brown Bess musket showing the piece I found today.

Thanks for looking :notworthy:

Attachments

• 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 511
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 492
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 508
  • 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 495
  • 029.JPG
    029.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 487
  • 030.JPG
    030.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 481
  • 032.JPG
    032.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 477
  • 033.JPG
    033.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 466
  • 034.JPG
    034.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 465
  • longland4.jpg
    longland4.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 467
  • longland5.jpg
    longland5.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 471
Upvote 0
Re: King Geo II - Musket Decoration Piece & An Old Ho Today ! !

:thumbsup: Some REALLY nice finds Derek! Love that Colonial stuff!!!
Colonial stuff is far & few around Iowa-- but we do find a little!
HH! Dale

Nice finds buddy. Congrats on the old coppa'

Ia.FurTrade said:
:thumbsup: Some REALLY nice finds Derek! Love that Colonial stuff!!!
Colonial stuff is far & few around Iowa-- but we do find a little!
HH! Dale

Thanks Dale :thumbsup:

Love finding anything colonial :headbang:

Derek

silverfreak said:
Nice finds buddy. Congrats on the old coppa'

Thank you S.F. , I'll be adding it to the ever growing King Geo coppa pile :icon_thumright:

Derek 8)

Looks like a real regal this time. makes a change on this site :thumbsup: WELL DONE

Great musket piece and REX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Derek, nice that the musket piece is complete, think almost all I have found are broken off at some point. Yes, time for a new camera for sure. A bit too blurry for dating that coin, but since you can eyeball it better, you most likely might have the right date and I won't say what I thought I saw, afterall, not totally awake yet! ::)

The big old iron pieces are nice, hopefully you can clean/preserve it for display.

Don

That side plate is awesome! ..and marked with the broad arrow! :thumbsup: That might not get many banner votes because it's only a gun part but I think it's a great find. I actually have the same thing, well half of it :( It is the piece with the mark though. Looks like a great spot!

PS... Your buckle looks like a nice early musket sling buckle, worthy of a better picture for sure.

Derek Feller Dude from the Upstate of Nuevo York, :icon_salut:

I am glad to see that you and Barry are yanking out Colonial and early American artifacts in true professional fashion. You guys are going to make a KILLER team...COLONIAL, BABY. :notworthy: :notworthy: :occasion18:

I looooooooove the King George II coppa. :thumbsup: I looooooooooove the musket decoration piece. :thumbsup: I looooooooooove your Colonial hunting style, D. Dude and Co. :thumbsup: :headbang:

Thank you to Henry S. for defending the American frontier, and I hope you, Mr. Henry S., dropped handfuls and handfuls of coppas and Spanish wilver for the D. Dude and Barry!!!! :notworthy: :notworthy:

Kyle

tymcmurray said:
Great musket piece and REX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks TY ... it was a VERY good day ! :thumbsup:

Don in SJ said:
Derek, nice that the musket piece is complete, think almost all I have found are broken off at some point. Yes, time for a new camera for sure. A bit too blurry for dating that coin, but since you can eyeball it better, you most likely might have the right date and I won't say what I thought I saw, afterall, not totally awake yet! ::)

The big old iron pieces are nice, hopefully you can clean/preserve it for display.

Don

Thanks Don ....
I swear the date is 1720 but the date is cut off a bit - maybe due to alingment when it was made. And the musket piece was a pleasant surprise being whole and in good condition.
I wish the rest of musket was still attached to it ! I'd kill to find a musket or pistol , I do know of two that have been found up here and the one I've seen is in the Rome historical society hanging on the wall and its in pretty dang good shape !

HH ..

Derek

Derek752 said:
Don in SJ said:

Don

Thanks Don ....
I swear the date is 1720 but the date is cut off a bit - maybe due to alingment when it was made. And the musket piece was a pleasant surprise being whole and in good condition.
I wish the rest of musket was still attached to it ! I'd kill to find a musket or pistol , I do know of two that have been found up here and the one I've seen is in the Rome historical society hanging on the wall and its in pretty dang good shape !

HH ..

Derek

1720 is Geo. I, right facing bust and much different.

Iron Patch said:
That side plate is awesome! ..and marked with the broad arrow! :thumbsup: That might not get many banner votes because it's only a gun part but I think it's a great find. I actually have the same thing, well half of it :( It is the piece with the mark though. Looks like a great spot!

PS... Your buckle looks like a nice early musket sling buckle, worthy of a better picture for sure.

Hey Iron ....
Is the mark the same on the one you found as on the part I found ? I noticed there is another marking on the back , a stamped 'n' .

A sweet relic to find though and the sling buckle a good addition to my buckle display case :thumbsup:

Good Hunting !

Derek :icon_study:

Derek752 said:
Iron Patch said:

Hey Iron ....
Is the mark the same on the one you found as on the part I found ? I noticed there is another marking on the back , a stamped 'n' .

A sweet relic to find though and the sling buckle a good addition to my buckle display case :thumbsup:

Good Hunting !

Derek :icon_study:

My broad arrow is different, yours is straight, mine for a lack of better words looks more like a flower. I do not have the II or "n", but am pretty sure I've seen that mark before. I don't think either hold a great significance but probably worth figuring out.

Colonial Zoyboy said:
Thank you to Henry S. for defending the American frontier, and I hope you, Mr. Henry S., dropped handfuls and handfuls of coppas and Spanish wilver for the D. Dude and Barry!!!! :notworthy: :notworthy:

Kyle

I feel like a stoned Henry S. on the American frontier.....with the fuzzy pictures

Sweet finds! That Brown Bess decoration is definitely British marked, nice score!

Steve

Colonial Zoyboy said:
Derek Feller Dude from the Upstate of Nuevo York, :icon_salut:

I am glad to see that you and Barry are yanking out Colonial and early American artifacts in true professional fashion. You guys are going to make a KILLER team...COLONIAL, BABY. :notworthy: :notworthy: :occasion18:

I looooooooove the King George II coppa. :thumbsup: I looooooooooove the musket decoration piece. :thumbsup: I looooooooooove your Colonial hunting style, D. Dude and Co. :thumbsup: :headbang:

Kyle

Kyle - Finder of all that is colonial in the great state of Pennsylvania :notworthy:

This newest site Barry discovered is perplexing , a great place to search with the finds we seek , its close to the Henry S. site and in the "area" of the fort .
I though maybe an outbuilding or maybe a small barn associated with Henry S's farm but its a tad to far away I think. Another colonial mystery :dontknow: Still .. maybe another piece to the puzzle of valley forts ! The search continues :icon_scratch: :icon_study:

Bill the farmers cows graze at this new site so there are nice bare spots but still much of it is unhuntable . Has to be good finds hiding under all that thick grass. Maybe with the help of the hungry cows they'll clean up the tough areas :thumbsup:

Looking foreward to more great KKC finds !

Derek ;D

jorge del norte said:
Colonial Zoyboy said:

Kyle

I feel like a stoned Henry S. on the American frontier.....with the fuzzy pictures

Sorry for the fuzzy photos Jorge Del Norte , I hope your eyes readjust soon . Perhaps you'd like to donate to the "Buy Derek752 a new digital camera" fund ! I would be forever gratefull :thumbsup:

Good Hunting ...
Derek

Thats some nice digs derek752.Keep it up at the old colonial sites :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back