What's new

King George II stopped by...11 coins in one 4 foot circle!

Steve in SJ

Tenderfoot
Joined
Mar 8, 2013
Messages
2
Reaction score
14
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello fellow MDs I wish the best of luck and health to you all. This is my first post here but I have been reading about all the fantastic treasure finds and hoards/spills for many years now.* I started MDing in 2012 when I met Don in South Jersey (yes he's one of the three Don's in South Jersey and the forums). Don has been MDing since '76' and now uses his CTX-3030--what a coin magnet that machine is! He has taught me much and gave me equipment like a new pin-pointer when I was unemployed!

We found our little hoard or spill if you will in the woods of South Jersey on Sunday...All old colonials! all in ONE FOUR FOOT CIRCLE--please chime in all you colonial experts on what you think happened here (maybe a cabin burned to the ground there?...Could it be a celler hole?)

I found the first two coppers about a half hour into the hunt in these new woods we’ve
never been in. I called Don over as I picked up the third signal--a strong 83! but bouncing around at 7-8 inches on my Whites MXT. In all we found 10 coppers as I shared the finds with my buddy...and I found an interesting silver also! The silver has a crown over a harp...All were seven to ten inches deep...Most are clearly K.G. the 2nds--One of Don's has a clear date of 1732! Wow thats old!...most have G to VG details on them. Don suggested that when we go back we will rake down 5-6 inches more to get deeper--I lost one signal with my MXT that was bouncing around between 40s to 60s and 83!...after I started digging it! HALO EFFECT?--I had my 15 inch Detech coil and I got Don to go back to the car to get his too. It was hot EVEN IN THE WOODS!...so we called it a day! after about four hours of hunting around the spot. I measured the silver coin as 25mm please help in identifying it...

A big thanks to Tony for sharing his inspirational and mind-blowing Banner find of 10 early large cents! in one spot too--and for being a trailblazer/daredevil and DOING ELECTROLYSIS ON THEM! I think they look great now...Tony helped me to convince Don into doing the same on ours also. I will post better macro pictures after electrolysis.


Steve in SJ
Don in South Jersey
 

Attachments

  • coins 2.webp
    coins 2.webp
    117.5 KB · Views: 140
  • coins.webp
    coins.webp
    105.4 KB · Views: 130
  • kg5.webp
    kg5.webp
    69.7 KB · Views: 138
  • kg5a.webp
    kg5a.webp
    50.7 KB · Views: 123
  • kg6.webp
    kg6.webp
    91.1 KB · Views: 122
  • kg6a.webp
    kg6a.webp
    87.4 KB · Views: 128
  • kg9.webp
    kg9.webp
    56.3 KB · Views: 117
  • kg9a.webp
    kg9a.webp
    54.9 KB · Views: 115
  • kg10.webp
    kg10.webp
    54.2 KB · Views: 126
  • kg10a.webp
    kg10a.webp
    57.8 KB · Views: 123
  • kg11.webp
    kg11.webp
    95.4 KB · Views: 137
  • kg11a.webp
    kg11a.webp
    86.9 KB · Views: 124
  • kg12.webp
    kg12.webp
    49.6 KB · Views: 127
  • kg13.webp
    kg13.webp
    100.6 KB · Views: 132
  • kg13a.webp
    kg13a.webp
    49.2 KB · Views: 119
  • kg14.webp
    kg14.webp
    41.7 KB · Views: 135
  • kg14a.webp
    kg14a.webp
    101.3 KB · Views: 121
Upvote 28
Holy colonial coin spill!!!! What a great group of coins! Hunt the place dry, there must be more coins and relics awaiting your coils! Congratualtions! :occasion14::occasion14:
 
Someone lost a fortune back then....glad you found them!
 
Than You,
Don and I are going to rake the spot down 6 inches tomorrow and use our big coils...Good Luck to you too!
 
Steve, Looks like a colonial dropped his/her leather coin pouch from an elevated position (horseback,) and it splattered into the pattern that you found it ?!?!?! Very significant and fun find, congratulations. Sub 8-)
 
Sweet many theories could work..Also could have been a laundry area hanging the clothes..Cache the frost split cool to ponder!

~Blaze
 
Some sweet colonial coins there that date back pretty far. The KGI proves that. Not sure how they all got there but go back and find some more.
 
Crown over a harp should be Ireland, although I can't help with the issue. A couple of more pics might help. Great finds there.
 
I'm nominating banner, Steve in SJ! I don't believe I have ever heard of that many KGII coins found in such close proximity to each other. Spectacular! Many of those coins look pretty good now, even before being cleaned!
 
Crown over a harp should be Ireland, although I can't help with the issue. A couple of more pics might help. Great finds there.

Looks like the reverse of a Hibernia half penny but with it being silver it is obviously not a half penny. Definitely an Irish coin though.
 
What does the front (obverse) side of the silver coin look like?
 
Wow look at all those bucket listers !! Did you find the bucket????
 
AWE2.webp...THEY MAY HAVE BURIED SMALL CASH OF THE COINS TO HIDE FROM INDIANS OR FROM BRITISH
I found 5 early colonial coppers in one spot as a kid in the 70s - that looked like it fell out of guys pocket
mine had to be lost by an early settler or hunter camping on a bluff in some woods - this spot was a boy scout camp in the 50s
and nothing was in that area before that - nothing at all - no one lived within miles of this spot and spot was an ideal
kill zone for deer
 
Wow, you sure do know how to make an entrance!! :thumbsup: Welcome to Tnet!

Could you please post both sides of the silver coin?
 
Welcome to the forum, what a great hunt you shared with us. Congrats on all the old coins
 
I still have a feeling it was the laundry area...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom