What's new

Knife questions

Breezie

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2009
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
2,120
Golden Thread
1
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Gang, I found this knife in an area that has produced items from pre-Civil War up to the 1950's. There has been evidence of a campsite as well as a homestead. Any information will be appreciated. ;D Breezie
 

Attachments

  • Knife1.webp
    Knife1.webp
    78.3 KB · Views: 400
  • Knife2.webp
    Knife2.webp
    43.1 KB · Views: 362
  • Knife3.webp
    Knife3.webp
    69.6 KB · Views: 364
I would guess post CW and say early 1900's. That's a neat knife find :icon_sunny:
 
Upvote 0
I dont know anything about your knife but the rivets remind me of one that I found. I plan on making a wooden handle for it because the steel is so strong.
 

Attachments

  • MVC-033F.webp
    MVC-033F.webp
    82.5 KB · Views: 387
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
Hey Gang, I found this knife in an area that has produced items from pre-Civil War up to the 1950's. There has been evidence of a campsite as well as a homestead. Any information will be appreciated. ;D Breezie
Looks like a blade to a machete.
 
Upvote 0
author=jdsarasin8194 link
Looks like a blade to a machete.

How do you determine whether a knife is a machete or butcher knife? Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Mine looks like a machete. Breezies looks like a large knife but Im just guessing. Mine says REMINGTON on it.
 

Attachments

  • MVC-032E.webp
    MVC-032E.webp
    7.4 KB · Views: 791
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
I dont know anything about your knife but the rivets remind me of one that I found. I plan on making a wooden handle for it because the steel is so strong.

Cool knife BCH; yours looks much thicker than mine. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
bigcypresshunter said:
I dont know anything about your knife but the rivets remind me of one that I found. I plan on making a wooden handle for it because the steel is so strong.

Cool knife BCH; yours looks much thicker than mine. Breezie
Yours looks like a butcher knife like IS posted. Mine is heavy steel yes. I guess its a small machete made by Remington. :dontknow: Its 17 inches total metal.
 
Upvote 0
How do you tell the difference between butcher's knives that were made in the early 1900's vs. those from the 1950's when they are in the condition as this one? Sorry for so many questions, but knives are no where close to my strong suit. Thanks, Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
How do you tell the difference between butcher's knives that were made in the early 1900's vs. those from the 1950's when they are in the condition as this one? Sorry for so many questions, but knives are no where close to my strong suit. Thanks, Breezie

I'm not sure you can :dontknow: Knives are not my strong suit either :D

Was it only the Remington pocket knives that had the numbering system?

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/remington_knives/index.php
 
Upvote 0
IronSpike said:
Was it only the Remington pocket knives that had the numbering system?

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/remington_knives/index.php
I never researched mine. Thanks for the link. Remington was burnt into the broken wood handle. I found it in an old building. It looked like a factory mark but no numbers. Nothing marked on the steel. Maybe I need start a new thread for an ID.. :D
 
Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for the help, website, and information. I'll green check this one as an early 1900's butcher knife. Breezie
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom