Know its there but I know my machine cant "see" it- help!!

TURNMASTER

Oct 13, 2009
Spokane WA
Detector(s) used
X-terra 705, Explorer SE, & At Pro
Re: Know it's there but I know my machine can't "see" it- help!!

Maybe renting a GPx 4500 would be helpfull. I have heard with the 18" coil they are quite deep.

Just thinking
Jeff

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hi Daryl
I took a coffee can outside and stood it up with plastic cap facing up and put the DFX in jewelry/beach mode "settings are optimized for salt water' and was able to pick it up at more than 2ft. I was using the standard coil. At two ft. getting close the tone was low and when I got above it the tone got loud. I could move the coil forward on the target at a couple of inches at a time at two ft. above it and would re comend moving forward at a few inches at a time and as far as swinging the coil side to side you can move as fast as you like. A can full of silver should be picked up at deeper than 2ft. with the DFX. I take it your not in Minnesota or I'd swing over to Mankato and help you. I have found a dime at ten inches using a 14in Excelerator coil so I know a can of silver should blow your ears off. Dig it all and good luck.
roger

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would recommend you get a larger coil if your searching a large area.......If you can borrow one try the WOT coil.....You amy have walked near it a couple times and just missed it with the coil by couple inches, you get so much better coverage with the WOT or SEF 15"x18" ButterFly coil.

I lived in Mankato years ago (74-75, 77), it was a great little party town then... :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
BioProfessor

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX

Yeah, MSU had national recognition as a party school. I hope we've lived it down. It was so bad when I got there in '87 that you could not fail a class. We could not assign a grade of "F" - A, B, C, D, or Incomplete. Geez.

I have a 15" WOT coil - didn't help. I have a 14" SEF coil - Didn't help.

When I buried the can - 1+ pound can - Tinned Steel - I purposely put it at an angle. I did not want the 5" metal disk sitting there level with the ground. Figured it would be too easy that way and if the real cans weren't straight up, I wouldn't learn much.

I can hear the can I buried with my E-TRAC. No problem. I can use the pinpoint mode and tell it is big. What I don't get is enough data from a sweep for the E-Trac to process it and give me Fe/CO numbers, a plot on the graph, or a depth indication.

I've run the DFX with different coils in all the modes - nothing. When I use the 2-box in the area, it just screams from all the salt.

Nope not in Minnesota. I'm on Hilton Head Island, SC.

I'm digging it all. Problem is, the guy that owns the place is an old gear head and I'm digging up all his old tools - a 4-headed lug wrench at a foot or so, a bench grinder at a foot - Don't ask - a clutch cover, and on and on and on. Man if it were a "clean" area without the salt, I'd be done. But Noooo. I gotta put up with big iron in the ground and enough salt to start a mine.

Why did I ever say, "Oh sure, I can find it." :help:

Sort of like saying "Hey, watch this." It ain't gonna be pretty. :tongue3:

Thanks for feeling my pain and the help. I'll keep you posted.

Daryl

taropatch

Dec 24, 2007

In the mix of all of this, I noticed the MineLab Excalibur II hasn't been mentioned. But I guess the E-trac uses the same technology? Whenever the PI fails miserably like in black beach sand, I'm told the Excalibur can do the job.
Good luck. Hope that guy's memory is correct for your sake.

OP
OP
BioProfessor

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used

May have to go that route. You know how the memory is and he does too. His records turn out to be better than his memory. He found the receipt for all the silver. So we have confirmation that is was purchased at the time he says he buried it.

The saga continues. I spent an afternoon there this week. "Calibrated" all my machines to the planted 1.5 pound can of pennies and dug every target that "matched." 1 whole beer can at 10", a 6" brass gear, a 5" piece of steel plate, a 4" square copper plate, a fist-sized bushing, and I'm thinking the next one will be a partridge in a pear tree. Why oh why is this ONE yard so full of crap? :dontknow:

You would think some things would be easy but NOooooo! :tongue3:

Keep a check on the classifieds. My wife have a bunch of MD stuff for sale.

Daryl

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other

daryl maybe try another route in this situation, if the guy has some pics from
20yr ago, or even older of the yard, and by looking at them it might jog
his memory. he might see something in the pic, and go oh thats right, its
near here, i remember now

i lived in a house for 19yr, and when moving i found some old pics of parties ect
that were taken in the yard, and i couldve swore, the mulberry tree we took down
was closer to the fence than it actually was. and i completely forgot about the
old dog house that was there. you never know the memory is tricky

OP
OP
BioProfessor

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used

Already asked. No pics. :'(

The 2 big issues are - He can't remember if he buried them in front of the house (half acre front yard) or in the back by the waterfront. And he has since built another house behind the house they lived in 20 years ago. So when you put that in with all the big pieces of crap EVERYWHERE, it's driving me completely nuts!!!!

Daryl

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

The Exellerator line of coils has some seriously big coils for the E-trac... :hello: :help: :o
Keep us up to date. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
BioProfessor

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used

I've gone as high as the big WOT and not any better. It's the fact that IF they are buried by the waterfront and IF they are more than 12" deep, they are in salt water. If that is the case, it not going to be coil size that is the most important factor.

Even though size does matter. ;D

I'll keep you posted.

Daryl

GringoStarr

Aug 15, 2009
La Florida
Detector(s) used
Metrotech 220, Spartan 175, Metrotech 330, Garrett CXiii With Bloodhound Attachment. Garrett Hand Scanner, and others.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi Daryl,

Looks like a thorny probem to me! All caches have their problems and this one is no exception.
Send me an e-mail and I will try to assist you further.

Regards,

and.....Exanimo!

the Gringo

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other

The 2 big issues are - He can't remember if he buried them in front of the house (half acre front yard) or in the back by the waterfront. And he has since built another house behind the house they lived in 20 years ago. So when you put that in with all the big pieces of crap EVERYWHERE, it's driving me completely nuts!!!!

Daryl

daryl it sounds like bad news, a what if for ya, which im sure has crossed your mind
could the building crew have found it
A. when they tapped into the water/sewer
B. or maybe took an old marker/ like a tree he used out
C.just blind luck
D. salt content, just hard to do, with out a grid plan and a good MD for salt
or maybe an ex wife knew about it
i mean so little info, buried,not sure could have been here
a grid search ,would seem to be in order, for the best results
time consuming, i know but may pay off
and for those not sure what he is dealing with a crude jpg ,of my minds
eye when Daryl talks about the cache

Attachments

• new house.jpg
    new house.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 3,081
OP
OP
BioProfessor

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used

Yeah, it's driving me nuts.

- grid search - Tried several grids - LOTS of big deep targets recovered - problem is I don't know where to put the grid. 2 acre grid, on my time, for free, don't think so. Crazy but not stupid. :icon_thumleft:

- no building crew activities in either of the two places they think they buried it - house 100' away, water & sewer 200' away, electrical 200' away. No landscaping, no concrete, no fences.

- got PI for salt - heck I've got an E-Trac, a DFX, a Fisher Gemini 3, a Fisher Edge, and a Garrett Infinium and about 8 coils :'(

- Now if I were getting a cut????

Thanks for help. It keeps me going.

Daryl

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other

daryl says
chit dude , i got 2-3 more days , one more big aggressive grid search
is all ive got 40/60-60/40, more 60/40, sorry timed out got to go
dont know how well you know each other, im sure he would understand though

OP
OP
BioProfessor

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used

WTHK!! I have given it up for the year. Just too much junk in the yard. I dug 10 targets bigger than your fist in less than 20 yards on a straight line search. I also buried a can with 2000 pennies a foot deep. As soon as the tide came in, you could not hear it.

So there is $35,000 face in silver coins somewhere on the 2 acres. That's tough to walk away from but it's killing me.

Daryl

JoeinMemphis

Apr 21, 2007
Oakland Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Minelab Excalibur II

I know what an "exercise in futility" it must feel like. I have been hunting an 1849 home site with CW history for two years now, that is so trashy I did a test. I took 4 tent pegs and some string, and made a 10' X 10' square. I dug EVERY signal in that square and ended up with 174 individual pieces of JUNK, from old rusty nails to a percussion cap (from a reenactment), to bits of barbwire, nuts, bolts, washers, etc. (nothing large that would render a two box useless if I had one) it took 7.5 hours to do it - yup, to clean out 100sq feet!!! It turns out to be 1.7 pieces of junk per sq foot. I am hunting in a complete null there (SE Pro with 6" Excellerator) for 2 years worth of my troubles I have recovered one stinkin' wheetie. I KNOW there is something there, just by the age of the place. If you knew the union army was on the way, wouldn't you bury something vs risk having it taken, or having your house burned with your life savings inside? So, it looks like I will be there for YEARS, 10' X 10' at a time till I have hunted all 40 Acres. Kinda sounds like what you might have to do, but I get half of anything I may or may not find. If I read your post right, you don't get any of the "booty", I would be looking for a better return on my investment if I was you (your time). HH Joe

O

Old Silver

JoeinMemphis said:
I know what an "exercise in futility" it must feel like. I have been hunting an 1849 home site with CW history for two years now, that is so trashy I did a test. I took 4 tent pegs and some string, and made a 10' X 10' square. I dug EVERY signal in that square and ended up with 174 individual pieces of JUNK, from old rusty nails to a percussion cap (from a reenactment), to bits of barbwire, nuts, bolts, washers, etc. (nothing large that would render a two box useless if I had one) it took 7.5 hours to do it - yup, to clean out 100sq feet!!! It turns out to be 1.7 pieces of junk per sq foot. I am hunting in a complete null there (SE Pro with 6" Excellerator) for 2 years worth of my troubles I have recovered one stinkin' wheetie. I KNOW there is something there, just by the age of the place. If you knew the union army was on the way, wouldn't you bury something vs risk having it taken, or having your house burned with your life savings inside? So, it looks like I will be there for YEARS, 10' X 10' at a time till I have hunted all 40 Acres. Kinda sounds like what you might have to do, but I get half of anything I may or may not find. If I read your post right, you don't get any of the "booty", I would be looking for a better return on my investment if I was you (your time). HH Joe

It seems like I've heard that old barbed wire can be worth money. You might check into it.

OP
OP
BioProfessor

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used

Joe,

I was really just looking for something to do. I got tired of trying to get permission to hunt places. This came up and it was a challenge so I took it. I never hunt for money. Just fun and exercise. If I ever started to think of this hobby in terms of making money. I'd shoot myself. TWICE.

Have fun on your 40 acres. At least you don't have salt water like I do. :D

Daryl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread