What's new

kokapelli pendant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
Joined
May 28, 2012
Messages
14,812
Reaction score
6,156
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This came from a site that had occupation from middle archaic all the way through contact. I determined it to be a lead pendant with some help from the local Historical Society. They had none in their database that matched the shape of this one exactly. They did have two examples found on an early Spanish shipwreck that had the same form of construction. I posted earlier today in the "what is it" forum... the second reply was " It looks like kokapelli" After a little research I must say I agree. I was hoping someone might have some more information or know where another example is.
 

Attachments

  • ForumRunner_20121213_003423.webp
    ForumRunner_20121213_003423.webp
    58.6 KB · Views: 132
  • ForumRunner_20121213_003718.webp
    ForumRunner_20121213_003718.webp
    58.3 KB · Views: 121
  • ForumRunner_20121213_003836.webp
    ForumRunner_20121213_003836.webp
    57.4 KB · Views: 119
Upvote 0
kokopelli is pure southwest is this where you found it? i would also say that since lead is so easy to work, melt, bend, scratch....it seems pretty crude...no detail. i would expect some obvious scratched in detail. it looks like random dripping left over from some sort of melting process to me.
 
It's thin lead.. I'm surprised it survived at all. there is detail still visible. I will try a more magnified photo. I just got through reading about the Mississippian version of kokapelli in the southeast on Wikipedia.
 
There is half of a loop connection point still on the top. you're right about lead being soft... that also effects what details are left.

ForumRunner_20121213_010339.webp



ForumRunner_20121213_010550.webp
 
That's funny! I mention led to you last week and, wallakazam.... We have lead! Funny the way that works. It has happened to me like that before too. Let's talk about Clovis points strictly from now on!!!
 
now don't get ticked at me but that sure looks like it is spilled melted lead
possibly from someone casting bullets or...
.....if it was found by the water likely from someone pouring lead fishing sinkers or jigs
reminds me of what is laying around my melting pot when i am done making jigs and sinkers which i take and throw back in the melting pot
 
Last edited:
Don't see anything there other than a gob of something.
 
larson1951 said:
now don't get ticked at me but that sure looks like it is spilled melted lead
possibly from someone casting bullets or...
.....if it was found by the water likely from someone pouring lead fishing sinkers or jigs
reminds me of what is laying around my melting pot when i am done making jigs and sinkers which i take and throw back in the melting pot

Hey Larson, you made me think of something. Since it is a water find, it could be a large bullet or cannon ball, what ever they used, that directly hit something. That would cause the thin spread out look. Not talking native American, but any war relic.
 
I agree that it does look like a kokapelli in form and being the traveling flute player that was after a mate.... The overstated manhood instead of a flute makes form and function complete. As far as location, the kokapelli was a traveller, just how far did he go?
 
Lead in its molten state is soft and free flowing. I've also made alot of lead weights and lead headed hooks. I could see patterns and sharp edges on one side from what it landed on but the other side would be smooth and rounded. This is better I.D. somewhere besides in this forum with photos. Its quite evident there was tooling and a loop on the top. Thanks anyway guys.
 
I will just post a bunch front and back. I can't belive any of you think I would post some melted lead like some fool.... but anyway.

ForumRunner_20121213_115400.webp



ForumRunner_20121213_115502.webp
 
Hold up... Isn't that pendant Harry's avatar pic?? He should know. I googled it. I see a resemblance, but it's out of my league. Cool find.
 
sometimes we see what we want to see...i know i have been guilty of this...

mask-d5de0c1b85dede5f3d770ff858bfbafe69e63830-s6-c10.jpg

this is a meteorite....100% natural and un-worked
 
sometimes we see what we want to see...i know i have been guilty of this...

this is a meteorite....100% natural and un-worked

Are you kidding me? I must say this forum is becoming tiresome.
 
Let me put this out there I do not have experience in Lead Artifacts......What I do see and based on the evidence, i do see a figure. I see areas on that that can not occur as dropped slags. The little twist and two points on top look like Antennae and the circle in the center are clearly not acts of being dropped as melt off or slags. This piece was cast into form it looks like and the area that Gator shows in the beginning as being worked is actually a area where the lead worked its way out of the mold or was part of the design. This is just my opinion but I can see all the evidence to support that this was possibly a pendant or definitely something molded of some sort.
 
Ahhhhhh...finally someone making deductions based on actual physical evidence and putting it together in a loogical and intelligent manor... to hopefully lead to some type of conclusion based on facts.... thank you Get-The-Point! I don't know if its Kokapelli or cockamamie but I do know that it's not just a splatter of lead that fell on the floor.
 
Ahhhhhh...finally someone making deductions based on actual physical evidence and putting it together in a loogical and intelligent manor... to hopefully lead to some type of conclusion based on facts.... thank you Get-The-Point! I don't know if its Kokapelli or cockamamie but I do know that it's not just a splatter of lead that fell on the floor.


It looks like a Cockamamie Artifact......New type i presume!!! ....lmfao!!!!.............................. I got your back on this one Gator.......I will prove it to be a Cockamamie Artifact if it kills me!!!!................That was great what a good laugh....Cockamamie!!! That one word got me laughing!!!!................Just calling it as I see it and to rule it out as a piece of slag well it is not...........................GTP(Chris)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom