What's new

LADY LIBERTY AGAIN, AND A POSSIBLE GOLD PIECE

Conito@55

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2024
Messages
1,204
Reaction score
6,116
Golden Thread
1
Location
Carson City Nv
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
The Legend
Xp Deus2
Today I returned to one of the places that has yielded many great finds for me—some a bit strange and others I didn't expect. Lady Liberty showed up again, this time in the form of this piece; I have no idea what it is.
20260912_103321.webp
20260912_201444.webp
20260912_201451.webp

Then this artifact turned up—apparently a quill, possibly made of gold 😲
Screenshot_20260912_202047_Gallery.webp
20260912_195205.webp
20260912_193937.webp
20260912_193947.webp


It looks like this bullet was used as a target, since it's been shot right through.
Screenshot_20260912_202445_Gallery.webp
Screenshot_20260912_202501_Gallery.webp

So here are all my findings from today
20260912_195133.webp
20260912_195140.webp
20260912_195144.webp
20260912_195148.webp
20260912_195153.webp
20260912_195201.webp
20260912_105934.webp
20260912_110535.webp
 
Upvote 30
Here's my thoughts on the holed "coin" - - While the hole looks sharp and clean from the back side, the exit in the front is not and has obvious burrs coming out. So, I think the hole was added by someone later, after the item's intended use. Obviously it is supposed to represent an 1868 20 dollar gold piece. I believe this was an advertising token or possibly a trade token that originally had a cardstock insert on the back side with advertising for whatever establishment it came from. Probably from the 1870s or 1880s. Similar to encased postage stamp store cards that popped up during the civil war.

Well, maybe you're right. It could be some kind of token. Thanks for the information.

For comparison, this is what's known as a "shell card" token. That is, it's two pieces of thin brass, die-punched with the design, that are crimped together as a thin shell over a cardboard core.

Shell Card.webp

[Pictures from Treasure Hunter Co.]

It has the same liberty head obverse dated 1868 and with a reverse advertising Munn & Co., publishers of the Scientific American magazine and patent solicitors in New York.

I think you have one half of something similar that has been holed for suspension, either before or after it separated into two pieces.
 
For comparison, this is what's known as a "shell card" token. That is, it's two pieces of thin brass, die-punched with the design, that are crimped together as a thin shell over a cardboard core.

View attachment 2265052
[Pictures from Treasure Hunter Co.]

It has the same liberty head obverse dated 1868 and with a reverse advertising Munn & Co., publishers of the Scientific American magazine and patent solicitors in New York.

I think you have one half of something similar that has been holed for suspension, either before or after it separated into two pieces.
I'll have to do my best to try to find the other half 😵 Thank you so much for that excellent information.
 
It certainly looks like it was shot right through, ( So cool) I wonder why the 2 marks above and below the hole.
Looks like a couple of nail holes to me. Maybe to hold it still for target practice, or perhaps the shooter mounted it to his wall like a tiny trophy?
 
Today I returned to one of the places that has yielded many great finds for me—some a bit strange and others I didn't expect. Lady Liberty showed up again, this time in the form of this piece; I have no idea what it is.View attachment 2264931View attachment 2264932View attachment 2264933
Then this artifact turned up—apparently a quill, possibly made of gold 😲
View attachment 2264945View attachment 2264946View attachment 2264947View attachment 2264948

It looks like this bullet was used as a target, since it's been shot right through.
View attachment 2264949View attachment 2264950
So here are all my findings from todayView attachment 2264951View attachment 2264952View attachment 2264953View attachment 2264954View attachment 2264955View attachment 2264956View attachment 2264957View attachment 2264958
Love the dog and insect pieces....what a great variety of finds! Looks like it takes awhile to get to your spot.
 
Love the dog and insect pieces....what a great variety of finds! Looks like it takes awhile to get to your spot.
They really are incredible and one-of-a-kind pieces. I'm lucky that place is just 20 minutes from my house.
 
Today I returned to one of the places that has yielded many great finds for me—some a bit strange and others I didn't expect. Lady Liberty showed up again, this time in the form of this piece; I have no idea what it is.View attachment 2264931View attachment 2264932View attachment 2264933
Then this artifact turned up—apparently a quill, possibly made of gold 😲
View attachment 2264945View attachment 2264946View attachment 2264947View attachment 2264948

It looks like this bullet was used as a target, since it's been shot right through.
View attachment 2264949View attachment 2264950
So here are all my findings from todayView attachment 2264951View attachment 2264952View attachment 2264953View attachment 2264954View attachment 2264955View attachment 2264956View attachment 2264957View attachment 2264958
Very Cool!!!! Congrats!!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom