Merf
Silver Member
- Joined
- Jan 7, 2007
- Messages
- 3,766
- Reaction score
- 2,276
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Northern Illinois
- Detector(s) used
- Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro, Quest x10 idmaXx
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
DirtyMike said:Is the button for sure pewter. Cause it looks like it was a lid and that the spot on the rim on the back may have been hinged. And for the large cent, these things pop up sort of often. Carved, engraved, & counter stamped coins are cool. Who know who or why they carved into your coin, but I think it gives it personality. Cool finds by the way!
Merf said:DirtyMike said:Is the button for sure pewter. Cause it looks like it was a lid and that the spot on the rim on the back may have been hinged. And for the large cent, these things pop up sort of often. Carved, engraved, & counter stamped coins are cool. Who know who or why they carved into your coin, but I think it gives it personality. Cool finds by the way!
Thanks Mike-----The Navy thing is thick and Heavy----Pretty sure it is pewter but I could be wrong.
kuger said:Dang Merf!Your piece with the anchor is the center portion of a cast brass tongue,from a tongue and wreath buckle!I happen to have one,dug in Australia,and have not been able to find any info on it.I will post a pic of mine tonight.
kuger said:Dang Merf!Your piece with the anchor is the center portion of a cast brass tongue,from a tongue and wreath buckle!I happen to have one,dug in Australia,and have not been able to find any info on it.I will post a pic of mine tonight.
Right I.P,but this one isnt a button,the first clue was the part on the rim where the bridge broke from the belt loop,and second I have the exact tongue.He already realized he the belt loop.Iron Patch said:kuger said:Dang Merf!Your piece with the anchor is the center portion of a cast brass tongue,from a tongue and wreath buckle!I happen to have one,dug in Australia,and have not been able to find any info on it.I will post a pic of mine tonight.
There's 2 piece buttons that are very close in design.
kuger said:Right I.P,but this one isnt a button,the first clue was the part on the rim where the bridge broke from the belt loop,and second I have the exact tongue.He already realized he the belt loop.Iron Patch said:kuger said:Dang Merf!Your piece with the anchor is the center portion of a cast brass tongue,from a tongue and wreath buckle!I happen to have one,dug in Australia,and have not been able to find any info on it.I will post a pic of mine tonight.
There's 2 piece buttons that are very close in design.![]()
Iron Patch said:kuger said:Right I.P,but this one isnt a button,the first clue was the part on the rim where the bridge broke from the belt loop,and second I have the exact tongue.He already realized he the belt loop.Iron Patch said:kuger said:Dang Merf!Your piece with the anchor is the center portion of a cast brass tongue,from a tongue and wreath buckle!I happen to have one,dug in Australia,and have not been able to find any info on it.I will post a pic of mine tonight.
There's 2 piece buttons that are very close in design.![]()
I know, I'm not saying it is. I'm talking about matching it up to a button to ID. I probably have one here ... what it reminds me of anyway. They are very common in the UK.
kuger said:Iron Patch said:kuger said:Right I.P,but this one isnt a button,the first clue was the part on the rim where the bridge broke from the belt loop,and second I have the exact tongue.He already realized he the belt loop.Iron Patch said:kuger said:Dang Merf!Your piece with the anchor is the center portion of a cast brass tongue,from a tongue and wreath buckle!I happen to have one,dug in Australia,and have not been able to find any info on it.I will post a pic of mine tonight.
There's 2 piece buttons that are very close in design.![]()
I know, I'm not saying it is. I'm talking about matching it up to a button to ID. I probably have one here ... what it reminds me of anyway. They are very common in the UK.
O.K. I.P. again I misunderstood ya.I wish you could find something on them as I said I have not been able to find much.My buddy has a complete one,and he knows of two other tongues,besides of mine.Here is his and mine,which I notice is a little different than Merfs
kuger said:Man,thats a dead ringer for mine,what do ya know about that button??
kuger said:British makes sense as mine came from Australia,but as stated before,all and mine included came from gold fields that were only active during the 1850's......what do you mean by "modern"![]()
Thanks "V",that kind of confirms my suspicion.There is so many variants of that darn anchor and the design was used for so many years!!vayank54 said:I like the piece of buckle.
IP & Kuger. I had a Navy button, like the one pictured, with a Treble Gilt backmark which would put it early to mid 1800's. Mine was nondug and I sold it on ebay.
vayank54 said:I like the piece of buckle.
IP & Kuger. I had a Navy button, like the one pictured, with a Treble Gilt backmark which would put it early to mid 1800's. Mine was nondug and I sold it on ebay.