Merf
Silver Member
- Joined
- Jan 7, 2007
- Messages
- 3,766
- Reaction score
- 2,276
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Northern Illinois
- Detector(s) used
- Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro, Quest x10 idmaXx
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:Wish I knew something about that buckle... The Brits did send blockade runners during the U.S. CW. It's how British style snake buckles turn up in Rebel sites. Might be a possibility--but awfully far-fetched. Just looking at the style of the buckle, I'd say firmly mid-1800s. I can't find anything on this buckle, but I do remember, Merf, that you have dug a wreath before (seen it in one of your previous posts, I think...). Is it the from the same site as this buckle tongue?
-BB
Does this link help any? http://www.colchestertreasurehunting.co.uk/navy buttons.htmkuger said:Man,thats a dead ringer for mine,what do ya know about that button??
Thanks Cy,I have used that site before,and never really concentrated on the anchor styles....now I am really confused!It looks like a 1900's Merchant,and any number of those that date to the 1700's!!bigcypresshunter said:Does this link help any? http://www.colchestertreasurehunting.co.uk/navy buttons.htmkuger said:Man,thats a dead ringer for mine,what do ya know about that button??

bigcypresshunter said:Does this link help any? http://www.colchestertreasurehunting.co.uk/navy buttons.htmkuger said:Man,thats a dead ringer for mine,what do ya know about that button??
Because people used to do unkind things to their coins, often for no other reason than boredom, I suppose. Holes, carvings, cuts, etc.- you'll see it all on earlier coinage. Nowadays nobody pays much attention to the coins in their pocket, and few people fiddle around with them, but that wasn't always the case.Merf said:Why does the Large cent have cut marks on both sides?
He's got a point- that does sorta look like a hinged lid to me. And see? We agree on how the coin's scratches give it personality.DirtyMike said:Is the button for sure pewter. Cause it looks like it was a lid and that the spot on the rim on the back may have been hinged. And for the large cent, these things pop up sort of often. Carved, engraved, & counter stamped coins are cool. Who know who or why they carved into your coin, but I think it gives it personality. Cool finds by the way!
If you read the post....its not a button or a lidlordmarcovan said:He's got a point- that does sorta look like a hinged lid to me. And see? We agree on how the coin's scratches give it personality.DirtyMike said:Is the button for sure pewter. Cause it looks like it was a lid and that the spot on the rim on the back may have been hinged. And for the large cent, these things pop up sort of often. Carved, engraved, & counter stamped coins are cool. Who know who or why they carved into your coin, but I think it gives it personality. Cool finds by the way!
Oh, and another PS- I like how you use the old maps as a backdrop in the photographs. Nice.
kuger said:I.P. the answer to your question is a BIG YES,most of the buckles we find are not military although the books state one common cast buckle as a Militia officers.....we must have had a ton of M.O's!!!!
Tinpan is dead on correct as well.It just seems odd that a deserter would keep any incriminating evidence especially something as glaring as a buckle.I have read accounts of posse',getting paid more than they could make digging searching deserters,to be executed.The N.Y.L,which I had originally thought had been one of the few groups if the not the only group to not suffer ant deserters did in fact suffer a great deal,to the point only a few remained of complete companies
Must have been the late 1850's?tinpan said:kuger said:I.P. the answer to your question is a BIG YES,most of the buckles we find are not military although the books state one common cast buckle as a Militia officers.....we must have had a ton of M.O's!!!!
Tinpan is dead on correct as well.It just seems odd that a deserter would keep any incriminating evidence especially something as glaring as a buckle.I have read accounts of posse',getting paid more than they could make digging searching deserters,to be executed.The N.Y.L,which I had originally thought had been one of the few groups if the not the only group to not suffer ant deserters did in fact suffer a great deal,to the point only a few remained of complete companies
By the 1850,s more than half of the american whaling fleet followed the whales across the Pacific Ocean the southern waters of Australia . from what i remember about 600 ships. Thats a lot of sailers
tinpan Tinker , tailor, soldier,sailor to gold miners.
kuger said:Must have been the late 1850's?tinpan said:kuger said:I.P. the answer to your question is a BIG YES,most of the buckles we find are not military although the books state one common cast buckle as a Militia officers.....we must have had a ton of M.O's!!!!
Tinpan is dead on correct as well.It just seems odd that a deserter would keep any incriminating evidence especially something as glaring as a buckle.I have read accounts of posse',getting paid more than they could make digging searching deserters,to be executed.The N.Y.L,which I had originally thought had been one of the few groups if the not the only group to not suffer ant deserters did in fact suffer a great deal,to the point only a few remained of complete companies
By the 1850,s more than half of the american whaling fleet followed the whales across the Pacific Ocean the southern waters of Australia . from what i remember about 600 ships. Thats a lot of sailers
tinpan Tinker , tailor, soldier,sailor to gold miners.
I have seen period dagureotypes of miners wearing the anchor buckle and the Anchor is always "upsidedown".