What's new

Large copper circle piece??? No idea what to call this.

jonac21

Greenie
Joined
Jun 23, 2008
Messages
14
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
My wife and I found this while detecting at an old farm house in southern Vermont that dates back to the late 1700's. Neither one of us have any idea what it could be. It was about 10 - 12 inches deep, I believe it is made out of copper. It's very thin metal and the images are stamped or pressed into it. We have been finding a lot of coins and items from the 1920's - 1950's at this location. But nothing older. So I don't know if this is from that period or if it could be older. Thanks for your help.
 

Attachments

  • DSCN3200.webp
    DSCN3200.webp
    89.5 KB · Views: 456
  • DSCN3208.webp
    DSCN3208.webp
    109.3 KB · Views: 412
  • DSCN3207.webp
    DSCN3207.webp
    121.2 KB · Views: 417
  • DSCN3206.webp
    DSCN3206.webp
    108.9 KB · Views: 424
  • DSCN3205.webp
    DSCN3205.webp
    49.5 KB · Views: 425
  • DSCN3204.webp
    DSCN3204.webp
    114.6 KB · Views: 429
  • DSCN3203.webp
    DSCN3203.webp
    73.2 KB · Views: 430
  • DSCN3202.webp
    DSCN3202.webp
    36 KB · Views: 432
  • DSCN3201.webp
    DSCN3201.webp
    55.1 KB · Views: 437
From left to right I see a fence, a tree, a windmill or flying machine with basket, a sailboat maybe, under it some houses, and a taller building with steeple..

Its easier to see in 7th pic of backside reversed from right to left.
 
Upvote 0
I'm thinking these are decorative brass or copper wall plaques/plates. They seem old compared to the ones that you find that are made in England and where sold in the 40s-60s. Most likely a Holland motif with the windmill.

http://oldxtimes.com/CL000417BrassWallTrayImageOrder.htm
 
Upvote 0
thinking dutch / hollandish item --due to windmill
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
Wow. I am impressed. I think is exact but 6" is larger. I would write to that seller and ask some questions.

[/quote]

If you look, jonac's dug plate is missing quite a bit from around the edges. That would prolly make up the missing 3 inches.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for your replies. I cant believe how quickly this was figured out. I could not see the man on the item until I had looked at the one for sale on Ebay. Everything looks exactly the same. Thanks again. How do I put the green check mark on this post?
 
Upvote 0
jonac21 said:
Thanks everyone for your replies. I cant believe how quickly this was figured out. I could not see the man on the item until I had looked at the one for sale on Ebay. Everything looks exactly the same. Thanks again. How do I put the green check mark on this post?
If you feel this is solved,

Go back to your original post

Click on Modify

Click on Message icon down arrow

Click on Solved.

The green check will appear.


Questions that I have is what is it, who made it and how old is it? I would try to email the seller. They usually answer questions.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I'm thinking its too thin & too small for a flue cover.

I'm kinda leanin towards a cookie tin or lids from a set of copper kitchen canisters.

it could be from the same maker, but that doesn't mean they only made one product.
 
Upvote 0
I received the response from the Ebay seller.


Seller has responded to your question about this item

Dear bigcypresshunter,

I`m pretty oblivious to tell you the truth. I bought it in a community yard sale in Olcott NY. (About 2/3 of the way between here and Niagara falls) Niagara County. I picked it out of a bin full of old pocket watches. The vendor was clueless as well. I don`t know how old it really is or what it was originally attached to. Looks like something made of wood but am not sure. Wish I had more for you but I don`t. Thanks for your interest, George.


- tuco64
 
Upvote 0
Back to square one...or two then. I still think we can say safely that this is at the least a decorative wall plaque or plate. There was probably a set of two, three, or four with similiar designs. These wall plaques I know were a big deal in the 50s and 60s and most likely were copied from something that was in style during an older period.

These following pictures were taken from the 1961 Belknap Hardware catalog.
 

Attachments

  • belknap 001.webp
    belknap 001.webp
    45.2 KB · Views: 175
  • belknap 002.webp
    belknap 002.webp
    50.6 KB · Views: 175
  • belknap 003.webp
    belknap 003.webp
    49.4 KB · Views: 179
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom