What's new

Large Gaming Stone?

mangum

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2012
Messages
2,323
Reaction score
3,533
Golden Thread
0
Location
Charlotte, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, I found this today in a field that produces Native American artifacts along with colonial relics. This is made of clay. If it's a marble it's the largest I've seen. Any help would be appreciated.
 

Attachments

  • image-274169864.webp
    image-274169864.webp
    52.1 KB · Views: 111
  • image-1043322955.webp
    image-1043322955.webp
    54.2 KB · Views: 100
Upvote 0
When only a few items were going to be fired in a kiln folks would add balls of clay to to evenly absorb heat..these were often given to children afterward.
It looks like European clay and temper to me
 
When only a few items were going to be fired in a kiln folks would add balls of clay to to evenly absorb heat..these were often given to children afterward. It looks like European clay and temper to me
Thanks for the insight Gatorboy, I had a feeling it may not be Native American. Do these objects have a name? Any idea on a date range
 
It could also be part of the game called table top 9 pins.
I don't recall a specific name for the clay balls they were made at home by families for children that didn't have a lot of money to get the painted ones that came from Germany in the 18 hundreds I remember reading the balls being used to lower temperature in a kiln as to not crack items when firing and they were given to children as toys I'm sure there's a lot more information on the internet about it somewhere
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom