Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
With my sluice up and running, it was time to prospect an area I've had my eye on all summer. The water level is as low as it's going to get and I finally got access to it. Right in the bedrock is a hole filled with overburden. The water flows backwards (when it is here) opposite of the river flow. It is a huge eddy from the winter storms. It almost looks like a mining tunnel. So I get my chit and go.

Even as a newbie to prospecting, I am amazed each time I go out how much I forget stuff and how much I learn. Taking the advice of a well know backpacker here, I went for the downstream side of the hole. Darn, 24 inches of water in front of it. Why the HECK did I leave my hip waders at home??!! It was a good call too cuz it was a miniature version of the big one in front. So I went to the front of the big hole. Got right up against the bedrock and worked down into the overburden. Max depth was 1 foot due to cave-ins. I took a sample and panned it down. Found two small flakes (so cool, they each looked like snow flakes with all the tips broke off). Then I decided to attack the hole itself. I brought my post hole digger and dug it into the back left center. Removed post hole digger and all contents went back in hole. Tried again, this time turning digger 1/4 turn and removed. Success! How far did I get down? 1 foot due to cave-ins. Hmmm, starting to see a pattern here. Made me think of my hand operated ice auger I used to have in AK. Would it drill into sand?...naw, it would just hit a rock and stop.

Finally got 2 1/2 gl of unclassified (forgot the classifier, but it was in the truck). BTW, even though we could park within 50 feet of the site, you had to climb up, over and around the water channels carved into the bedrock to get to it-about 120 feet each way. Plus a man-made rock path across the water to that bedrock. Keeping this all in mind, I decided I'd had enough fun and settled for 2 1/2 instead of 5 gl. And no handle on my bucket, which made the return trip difficult (or funny if you were watching from the truck, like my wife).

My sluice found some more flakes. Where I prospected is still in the area of no gold to flour gold. The bridge on 199 seems to be where flakes stop dropping out altogether. Upstream has proven to be much better (I know-duh).

Anyways, great to get out again. The rainy season has begun here and the river will be up shortly. Look out next season!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Do what I did Jeff. Make up a list of what you need out in the field and put it in a sheet protector. Use a grease pencil to check stuff off as ya load it up.

Glad to hear ya had some fun man! I need to get back out digging soon myself or I'm going to go into withdrawals here.

The OTHER Jeff

calnatv

Mar 19, 2011
I packed in a 2.5 inch dredge into some remote country with the help of my teenage son and his friends. It was a "we can't be seen operation" if you get my drift.We got all set up and I realized we forgot the sluice box. The whole time I was thinking there's more to the dredge.How in the hell can you forget the sluice box! and not realize it until your setting up? Other occasions I have forgotten the power jet, gas, etc. Wasn't long before I developed a check list just like my backpacking days. Anyhow,great story. I love reading about people getting out there and getting the color!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Or do like me. The official storage spot for my regular use gear is in my vehicle. I find that I get out more because it's so easy and I have what I need everything ime (well almost).

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like forgetting 'things' is a common story amongst usn's, been there done that. But then you got out, your wife had a smile or two, you found some gold, tested out the gear and learned some. So if you are like me, my memory is good for maybe 20 hours so you might want to write down a good list and keep it in that plastic cover OR keep all of it in you New Cadillac SUV, Kevin that is what you drive isn't it? Glad you got out there but then that water had to be cold, Uhhhhh........................63bkpkr

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LoL, i fit all my gear in a very little Honda Del Sol! Being a Detroit boy I appreciate a nice Caddy but it's not for me ;-)

And yes it's getting cooler here but I prospect year round in Denver. Inspired by the US military, I say " no such thing as bad weather only poorly dressed prospectors!

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
yes thewinenners KC, they will allways be there, when young can do anything, when older diff story, just do it have a good time, i misss that that my girl, she is high tech, camping forget it

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jeff: From what you wrote it sounds like you had a pretty interesting
adventure out there!

I think for many of us it's all about the entire voyage, and success
isn't always about coming home with a full poke...in fact, sometimes
it's about just getting back home safely.

2C: Would love nothing more than for my wife to be able to come along
on one of my local trips, but she just can't handle being out in the elements
with her disabilities. I'm blessed in that there's always a hot dinner waiting
for me when I get home, and more often than not she's the one pushing me
to get out on the creek when I get a good day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread