What's new

Lead Filled Brass Crab

Ripcon

Hero Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2016
Messages
725
Reaction score
1,246
Golden Thread
0
Location
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a neat relic I'm posting for fellow relic hunter. He found this lead filled stamped brass crab. It has 2 rectangular holes in the top for attachment. Any ideas about what this could've been used for?

crab.webp
 
Possible back plate for a drawer pull? Very cool piece. Sub 8-)
 
Upvote 0
Lead filled brass items are often a horse bridle rosettes. But I've never seen one shaped like a crab...

May we see the other side? Where was it found?
 
Upvote 0
Lead filled brass items are often a horse bridle rosettes. But I've never seen one shaped like a crab...

May we see the other side? Where was it found?

I'll try and get a photo of the other side and post it up....It was found in West Central Mississippi at the location of a plantation. Both civilian and civil war relics have been found at the site.
 
Upvote 0
I may be blind but I am having a hard time seeing the mounting holes you say are near the top.
 
Upvote 0
I may be blind but I am having a hard time seeing the mounting holes you say are near the top.

It is hard to see. this photo was taken right after it was dug and a little water poured on it. The holes are still clogged with mug/dirt. However, the rectangular holes look like they supported a small strap.
 
Upvote 0
Can you get some more pics of the back and the dirt removed?
 
Upvote 0
looks pretty detailed, guessing it was cast from a real crab
Lost wax method?
Just a guess
Brady
 
Upvote 0
How bout a clock pendulum weight ?
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom