What's new

Lead item off CW field

fever87

Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2009
Messages
303
Reaction score
146
Golden Thread
0
Location
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705, Equinox 600, GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found this odd lead item on a field that I've recovered quite a few cannonball fragments from. Its got a rounded top that looks battered, the bottom is slightly concave with a cavity in the middle. I'm wondering if it was a plug for the cannonballs but don't know for certain.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0213.webp
    IMG_0213.webp
    55.6 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_0214.webp
    IMG_0214.webp
    62.7 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_0215.webp
    IMG_0215.webp
    60.6 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_0216.webp
    IMG_0216.webp
    54.9 KB · Views: 346
Since you didn't include any measurements, who knows. I think I see rifling in your last pic. If so, it's probably a 12 ga shotgun slug that's been in the ground for a long while.
 
Upvote 0
Eddie Lomax said:
Since you didn't include any measurements, who knows. I think I see rifling in your last pic. If so, it's probably a 12 ga shotgun slug that's been in the ground for a long while.

Measurements: 7/10" dia, 1/2" high, cavity 3/10" dia.
 
Upvote 0
I am gonna say shotgun slug
 
Upvote 0
Definitely a 20th-Century shotgun slug, which has been fired. You can see faint rifling-marks on its sides in one of the posted photos. Probably early 20th-century, based on the thickness of the lead-oxide patina on it.
 
Upvote 0
TheCannonballGuy said:
Definitely a 20th-Century shotgun slug, which has been fired. You can see faint rifling-marks on its sides in one of the posted photos. Probably early 20th-century, based on the thickness of the lead-oxide patina on it.

I hadn't even considered a dang slug. Now the rifling stands out for what it is. Consider this case closed. Thanks for all the help.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom