fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For some it's the only PALEO time frame pieces that they will ever have. They are the uniface blades! Some are crude and other's are simply BEAUTIFUL. I wood like to see some of the fellow T-Netter's fav's.. This is just one of mine and it's the material that makes it for me. I've never seen or found for that fact anything like it. I just call it tiger striped. The clear parts you can actually see letters from a newspaper threw. Hope you like and can't wait to see everyone's. THANX.. HH

Attachments

• IMG_0549.JPG
    IMG_0549.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0550.JPG
    IMG_0550.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0551.JPG
    IMG_0551.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 146
Upvote 0
That looks like a beautiful side scraper or uni face blade they were made in all periods.Was it found in context with paleo projectile points? The flaking style does not appear to be Paleo to me. But that's beside the point.
Nice piece. I have four and can't pick so here they are

ForumRunner_20130302_235751.png

ForumRunner_20130302_235833.png

ForumRunner_20130302_235906.png

ForumRunner_20130302_235950.png

Last edited:
Hey there GATOR, those are sum nice ones you got there. Are they uni's? The last one looks like coral. To anwser your question, yes it was found with paleo pieces. Matter of fact the site is one of only a few that is nothing but paleo in the county. It's my buddy's site and does'nt get worked very often. The last time was about 10 years ago and thats when I found this. Out of 42 years of hunting that site my buddy has only found 2 archaic points and they both were thebes. Everything else is paleo. Strange I know, don't know why other time frames would'nt have used it. I've got a few other's from the site but I'm not sure how to post pic's in a reply. Could you help with that?

No.. not uni's I must have misunderstood the thread. Thought you were looking for favorite finds. That sounds like a very interesting site. I just see almost every unifacial blade referred to as paleo for some reason when they are not. Could you tell if one was paleo or archaic if found in a field and out of context as far as being locked in the same matrix as a paleo artifact? You said archaic points were found in the same place...that's thousands of years worth of tool making. I just can't assume something unifacial is paleo when they were made the same way for thousands of years is all. If found in the field there's no way of knowing.

Last edited:
It's all guess work for that matter. Even if diggin in a shelter and found at the same depth as paleo does'nt mean it is. You don't see many woodland uniface scrapers because by that time their skills had increased 10 fold. Without rad carb testing it's hard to know.

This might be a good topic for another thread since I don't want to take yours too far off track... but I'm not sure I agree on woodland Talent being greater than paleo. I've seen some extremely well made paleo projectile points.. the fluting process alone took Talent. I've also seen a lot of ugly woodland pieces.

Nice blade, I like those stripes. Well if I have to pick I guess it would be this one. Its a personal find. I found all 3 in the same spot. I believe they were made by the same person.

Attachments

• 100_2100.JPG
    100_2100.JPG
    696.5 KB · Views: 131
That first one looks like a nice spokeshave.

This might be a good topic for another thread since I don't want to take yours too far off track... but I'm not sure I agree on woodland Talent being greater than paleo. I've seen some extremely well made paleo projectile points.. the fluting process alone took Talent. I've also seen a lot of ugly woodland pieces.

I'm not sayin that at all. Paleo knapper's were the best. Just in woodland times they had other means of living and did not have to depend solely on their knappin ability's. That could range from pottery to plummets.

Few of my favorite early uniface knives.

Attachments

• phpqM3vGBPM.jpg
    phpqM3vGBPM.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 99
  • phppAEbCCPM.jpg
    phppAEbCCPM.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 103
  • phpJ2e2D7AM.jpg
    phpJ2e2D7AM.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 105
  • phpQo57qGPM.jpg
    phpQo57qGPM.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 111
  • phpW9OLANPM.jpg
    phpW9OLANPM.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 99
  • phpGFd4QPPM.jpg
    phpGFd4QPPM.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 112
  • phpq1nHniPM.jpg
    phpq1nHniPM.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 101
  • phpQTyOy3PM.jpg
    phpQTyOy3PM.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 85
This is the best Uniface Tool I ever found and one of my favorites. I call this my Boy Scout Knife beacuse it has several functions. It has a razor sharp cutting edge that you can see to the left in the last picture. It also has a Spokeshave, and Engraver, and a Scraper edge as well. The wild thing about this piece is that I found this when I was in my teens and didn't have the knowledge of or the respect for Tools like these so it laid in a box full of brokes and pieces of Flint for around 20 years or so until I came across it again and recognized it for the awesome piece that it is. It is now prominently displayed in one of my showcases with several other really nice Uniface Tools. It's a wonder it didn't get damaged being in that box for all those years.

Attachments

• Uniface Tools (38).jpg
    Uniface Tools (38).jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 118
  • Uniface Tools (39).jpg
    Uniface Tools (39).jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 109
  • Uniface Tools (37).jpg
    Uniface Tools (37).jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 115
  • Uniface Tools (33).jpg
    Uniface Tools (33).jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 102
nice ones indeed everyone

I dont know much about native american artifacts but how do you guys tell the reals from the fakes? Im asking because i see them at the flea markets with claims of being found in the carolinas n such but im afraid to buy them,They could be a fake or something.Any way to tell the real thing from a fake? All info will be greatly appreciated!!

HH John

The best way is to find it yourself. Or if you're going to purchase purchase from someone who's history you're aware of. Places like flea markets are flooded with people trying to make a quick buck. A lot of the things they have for sale have changed hands so many times nobody knows anything for sure about them.

Flea Markets are full of fakes, but you can also find some good pieces at good prices if you know what you are looking for. I have gotten some great pieces at my local Flea Market over the years, but if you aren't very knowledgeable of what to look for I would suggest to steer clear of them because you will probably get ripped off.

I dont know much about native american artifacts but how do you guys tell the reals from the fakes? Im asking because i see them at the flea markets with claims of being found in the carolinas n such but im afraid to buy them,They could be a fake or something.Any way to tell the real thing from a fake? All info will be greatly appreciated!!

I don't understand your thinking, why are you going to a flea market to look for artifacts? Artifacts are normally found out along streams, in farmers fields, and in the hills. What gradification is there in buying a collection of artifacts!
To me there is nothing better than to find the real thing myself than to buy one, even if another says that it is the real deal.
As for knowing if it's real, learn from finding.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back