glow plug for a old diesel type engine ?-- flat top end to outside of engine with point facing into engine block --glowing hot end got "hot" to fire off diesel fuel.
I had a 29 chevy pickup with a straight 6 cylinder engine in it the spark plugs were giants. That is from an older engine like the one I had. You were able to take the plug apart and clean it. the part you have or the porcelain center piece came out by removing the top flange nut. I think I had to use an 1 1/2" socket to remove them.
But yes it is a spark plug and the date is at least the late 20's.
Joe
I am thinking it may be a burner electrode for a heating system. It was found in the yard of an old hotel, so it could have been from a car or their heating sys. This could explain the lack of threads.
Still looking,
Bunker
Thanks Mick, Very cool video. That would explain the large amount of porcelain and no threads! Now I am really confused.
I'm on it...really want to figure this out.
Bunker
mtntrekr2 is right its an old automotive spark plug like the soot-proof used in model T
in the teens and 20s.
They can be taken apart or sometimes the threaded part rusts away leaving the part you have. I have some here in that condition but my cam batts are dead.
Re: Let's "spark" some conversation...Solved spark plug pre-1930
I found a very similar spark plug last November. In California at the beach about 8" deep. It's encased in a rocky conglomeration. Feromy Google research I Id'd it as from a Model T. You can see most of the metallic portion as intact.