Liberty Cap Large Cent

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
KirkPA is baaaaaack! :o :D

The BDD team and I got out for some treasure hunting today...John Walter-style. Last night, at around 8ish, we all got together for a conference call. Zoy wanted to introduce some of his ra-search to vpone and Paco, so we thought it proper to conferencely call a meeting at our local McDooonald's. LMAO After many metal detecting topics were discussed, we decide to focus on the project at hand: Coppa searching on 12/30/07. Before we departed on our metal detecting ways, we decided that we will hit a site that we had scoured earlier in the year (5 coppas: 1794 Liberty Cap half cent, 1794 Liberty Cap cent, 1804 Draped Bust half cent, 1803 Draped Bust cent, 1785 Connecticut coppa).

12/30/07

My brother, zoy a.k.a. The God of Colonial Rasearch, and I met Paco at his homestead at 9 a.m. With our gear packed "neatly" into our vehicles, we headed off to our next meeting spot: The spot we usually meet vpone at a.k.a. A spot we will not disclose. LMAO :D :)

At 9:31 a.m., literally, we arrived at the vpone spot. At 9:32 a.m., literally, our good bud, vpone, arrived. Next destination: The Knob. :D

Upon arriving at our destination, we decided to talk to the landowner again. :) Since it has been about 9 months, we just wanted him to know we were here again. LMAO :D

Since the area where the early coppas were recovered was't plowed for the year, we started to say some things which should not be stated in front of children of any age, gender, metal detecting abilities, etc. I think I stated something like this, "Gosh *insert some bad words*, what the *insert a really bad word* is up with this *insert another bad word*? Can you believe this *insert bad word*? Oh well, there are still coppas waiting." LOL :D ;D

After an hour, with very few sig-siggy-sigsters, I got a nice "P" on "Penny" hit that pinpointed at 3.5". Since the signal was so frickin' loud, I thought, "Darn, probably a soda can." But, since I know what I am doing (in reference to my detector knowledge, not arrogance about my detecting skills), I decided to excavate the artifact. <smirk> :) ;) :D I soon saw that green coppa disc in my properly dug-out doyt (dirt). ;) :D I rubbed at the coin, but could not get a feature off of it at that time.

After 3 more hours of John Walter slaving, we all decided to call it a metal detecting day. We all met out our vehicles and vpone got some site pics for our website. It was another coppa-seeking day and coppa was seeked out. LOL ;D :D

The coin turned out to be a 1795-1796 Liberty Cap Large cent (thin version). In the pic, you can see the "1 7" near the left clipped edge. The Cap is evident, if you look verrrrry closely. It is much easier to see the features with the naked eye. The "Knob" has given up 3 Liberty Cap coppas now...Yippy! LOL KirkPA ended the year with 14 coppas, with a grand total of 52 for BDD! Yippy-dee-doo-day-dood-yay! :D

Bring on 2008!

BDD...Kirk

P.S. Coppa was dug at a site that is known for Colonial history. :D
LCap002.jpg

Upvote 0
Hey buddy....perfect timing...I just logged in and saw your post.
I'm glad you were able to get out with the BDD crew and get your coils dirty.
It's great to see you finishing out the year with a Coppa on your last hunt. Did Kyle take a bite out of it? ;D Maybe he had been previously listening to that Britney Spears song, "You want a piece of me". :D ;D

Good luck to you in '08. Happy New Year!!

CAPTN SE
Dan

Captn_SE said:
Hey buddy....perfect timing...I just logged in and saw your post.
I'm glad you were able to get out with the BDD crew and get your coils dirty.
It's great to see you finishing out the year with a Coppa on your last hunt. Did Kyle take a bite out of it? ;D Maybe he had been previously listening to that Britney Spears song, "You want a piece of me". :D ;D

Good luck to you in '08. Happy New Year!!

CAPTN SE
Dan

Thanks, my friend, it is an honor to see you are the 1st to reply. :)

The coin looks to be clipped. Don in SJ will have to give me some more details. :D

Good luck to you, too, buddy, in 2008! :) You will strike a gold coin this coming year...I feel it. ;) :)

BDD...Kirk

P.S. I wish you and Val a Happy New Year. :)

Great find Kirk!! Come on' down here with Josh (Sentinel) and I for a civil war relic hunt and we can trade off for a Coppa hunt :) I'm serious too! Don't worry about a hotel as I have a RV you could stay in ;)

Gotta pick me up on the way ;) Congrat's Kirk...Happy New Year and To BDD.

Yo, Kirk the Jerk, I am glad someone got a coppa today.

Yeah, folks, I got a perfect coppa reading, which pinpointed at 7 inches. Well, to make a long metal detecting story short, it turned out to be a frickin' 1884 V nickel that did not impress me one bit. :D Too new...lol :D

Bone Dry Detecting...KylePA :D

Well, at least a copper was found, if you say it is a Liberty Cap, OK, cannot see on the photo any detail that I recognize at first lookie but I do see the 1 7 :) Ah, that would not be called a Clipped coin since it was not done at the mint from what I recognize, that is more of a post mintage mutilation I would think. :)

D

Glad you guys got some diggin' in Kirk. I think I'm done for the year ...but you never know. I finally got my 2007 silver/injun coin totals posted on Tnet yesterday along with some pics, if we get just one decent warm day though...I'm right back out trying for some more deepies ;D

Great coin. Nice way to end the year, unless you are out tomorrow... :-)

Don in South Jersey said:
Well, at least a copper was found, if you say it is a Liberty Cap, OK, cannot see on the photo any detail that I recognize at first lookie but I do see the 1 7 :) Ah, that would not be called a Clipped coin since it was not done at the mint from what I recognize, that is more of a post mintage mutilation I would think. :)

D

Some dude back in the 1700s got bored a cut the coppa. :D It will still be cherished in KirkPA's metal detecting heart still. ;) :D ;D

BDD...Kirk

troyx5 said:
Great find Kirk!! Come on' down here with Josh (Sentinel) and I for a civil war relic hunt and we can trade off for a Coppa hunt :) I'm serious too! Don't worry about a hotel as I have a RV you could stay in ;)

Hey, troy, that would be cool! It would be an honor relic hunting a day with you guys. :)

Now, would I be living in this RV "down by the river?" LMAO :D :D :D

BDD...Kirk

zoyboy said:
Yo, Kirk the Jerk, I am glad someone got a coppa today.

Yeah, folks, I got a perfect coppa reading, which pinpointed at 7 inches. Well, to make a long metal detecting story short, it turned out to be a frickin' 1884 V nickel that did not impress me one bit. :D Too new...lol :D

Bone Dry Detecting...KylePA :D

That was kind of funny. :D At least you found a piece of history from the defunct park that is nearby. :D

BDD...Kirk

HAPPY FOR YA HOMIE, I WILL GET MY POST TO YOU ABOUT MY VIRGINIA CENT AS SOON AS WE DETERMINE WETHER ITS A PENNY OR THE HALF CENT....... NONE THE LESS 1774...............PACO GREAT JOB FINDING THAT COPPA. YOU GRIDDED THE AREA LIKE I WOULD HAVE........

PACO said:
HAPPY FOR YA HOMIE, I WILL GET MY POST TO YOU ABOUT MY VIRGINIA CENT AS SOON AS WE DETERMINE WETHER ITS A PENNY OR THE HALF CENT....... NONE THE LESS 1774...............PACO GREAT JOB FINDING THAT COPPA. YOU GRIDDED THE AREA LIKE I WOULD HAVE........

Yo, Paco, what's up, man? Thanks, man, I have been on a drought recently with coppas. You are next, dude! Hopefully we can get permission for that one site we stopped at this morning. It sounds promising!

Get me the story, so I can post it, dude! :) You may be able to retire on that coppa! :D

BDD...Kirk

LIBERTY CAP MAGIC MUSHROOM..LOL
BREAKFAST OF KIRKPA....LOL

Psilocybe is a genus of small mushrooms growing worldwide. This genus is best known for its species with hallucinogenic properties, widely known as "magic mushrooms", though the majority of species do not contain hallucinogenic compounds. Psilocin and psilocybin are the hallucinogenic compounds responsible for the psychoactive effects of many species in the genus.

HERES 2 MORE LIBERTY CAPS

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 1,664
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 1,617
This is worthy enough to be back on top of the forum. Jirk, you are a true professional with that analog datecta. ;D

Bone Dry Detecting...zoyster

MDing in December in PA. Who would of thunk it? :o
Chaulk another nice find up for BDD. Congrats Kirk. Did you get hungry and nibble that coin a bit? ;D
Thanks for that Chris Farley video. That guy is was hilarious!!!
-Doug-
P.S. Kyle- Send me the V nickle you found. ;)

Congrats Kirk ....

A coppa in Dec. Wonder what you'll dig in Jan. ? Feb ??? capped wilver ? I would'nt be surprised 8)

Upon looking at that weird cut on the coin , my colonial mind gets to wondering.
I see a musketball, pistol type, striking the coin and then entering the chest of the guy carrying the coin

HEY its possible !
Stranger things have happened

D.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back