What's new

Lights go out in caves?

Hasse

Full Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2010
Messages
105
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500 com treasure Hound eagle eye / Ace 250 / Magnet Cobra Beach
I heard several stories of various forms of light (lamp, lantern lights, generator), which disappear after several meters into a cave ......
Is that possible? :dontknow:
What could cause this blackout? :icon_scratch:
 
Light diffuses through an atmosphere . Think headlights in fog . Being behind the light your eyes
can only discern so much reflection . This is proportionate to distance and atmosphere .
 
Hasse said:
..What could cause this blackout? :icon_scratch:

A 4-way hit of Orange Sunshine.. :icon_sunny: :thumbsup:
 
Hasse said:
I heard several stories of various forms of light (lamp, lantern lights, generator), which disappear after several meters into a cave ......
Is that possible? :dontknow:
What could cause this blackout? :icon_scratch:
Hasse: I have no idea what causes some lights to go out but I've had it happen several times. Once we had everyone's lights go out, leaving us in total darkness... Always carry a backup, or two...
I see you are in Brazil. I was assigned to the embassy in Sao Paulo in 2003, had a great time and enjoyed the people there.... Great gemstones..
Richard
 
The lack of oxygen could cause a torch to go out and there has been many deaths attributed to "bad air" in deserted mines, etc. Be careful. Monty
 
Like Monty, I would be worried about bad air. Lots of old mines up here, some not sealed off, and I never go in farther in than I can still see daylight. The miners up here would tell you Tommyknockers cause that.
 
Terry you're just wrong...lol

Not heard those words in years.

HH
Gary
 
Gary66 said:
Terry you're just wrong...lol

Not heard those words in years.

HH
Gary

You're in trouble now my friend! :tongue3: :laughing9: Uh-oh, it's 420, gotta run! :thumbsup:
 
Now I know why you stumble around in the hills all alone.... :laughing9:

And since you are from the left coast....it is close to 420 !!!!!

Man I wish I lived out that way.

Gary
 
My brother-in-law used to do a lot of caving and he took me along on a couple of his adventures. In one we had to rapel down 100 ft to the next "floor" to continue . . . in otherwise total darkness except for our lights. I can testify Princeton and Streamlight lights work as well underground as they do above. We each had three lights. In a couple spots we turned off our lights - absolute total darkness. Somewhat profound experience.

If you're running an "aspirating" light like a kerosene lamp or Coleman lantern and it dims or goes out I'd make tracks back out ASAP as you've likely gone into a low oxygen zone.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom