Literally the last target of the day. (Update)

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good friend invited me to hunt with him today at a site that has been hunted hard for several years. My first two signals were 42 and 44 wheat cents. Then nothing for about 3 hours. Finally I made it back to my truck, took a couple Tylenol and rested for a few minutes. My buddy was in a different field so I walked over and started to hunt. After finding a few round balls and a couple rim fire casings I started back to the truck. I got a small signal and dug a flower button. Then, I headed for my truck not really paying attention to what I was doing. Fact is, I was about wore out. Well, I have heard the "on the way back to the truck" story so many times but never thought it would happen to me. I got a strong signal but it was iffy. It seemed to be shallow so I dug a plug in the soft dirt and when I flipped it out it took me a few seconds to realize what was there. My buddy was about 30 feet away and I just said "Kevin, I have a buckle"
He came over and I dropped it in his hand. He said he thought a belt plate would come from this site but didn't think it would come from this field.
This is my first Confederate Militia "clipped corner" belt plate in almost 50 years of detecting.
20230107_173505.jpg
20230107_173529.jpg
20230107_190524.jpg
20230107_190607.jpg
20230107_190841.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 52

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You lucky a$$! I’ve been hunting this same site with you for years and it’s produced some decent CS artifacts from time to time. In fact, my avatar button came from close to there. Congratulations my friend! Today was your day. Banner vote!

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done... banner buckle.
Let me ask... the 2 pennies... ones a 42 and the other 44... the condition of one vs the other is extreme... for being just a year apart... did you check to see if they are they both copper ? ? ?
The 44 is severely corroded ? any chance of it being a rare steel ?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on your first clipped corner plate.

Yours has rivet type, and the sharp hook on the back.
I can't seem to find an image of that type as most have a bar and a wide flat hook.
Just wondering if this was an early-later version? (Some items were made in different manufacturing areas)

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done... banner buckle.
Let me ask... the 2 pennies... ones a 42 and the other 44... the condition of one vs the other is extreme... for being just a year apart... did you check to see if they are they both copper ? ? ?
The 44 is severely corroded ? any chance of it being a rare steel ?
The pennies are both copper. I just haven't cleaned them good.

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first clipped corner plate.

Yours has rivet type, and the sharp hook on the back.
I can't seem to find an image of that type as most have a bar and a wide flat hook.
Just wondering if this was an early-later version? (Some items were made in different manufacturing areas)
From what I have been told, these plates are probably of local manufacture and not government supplied.

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
where do all these belt buckles come from. We see it a lot here, are they shallow grave sites, remains of folk missing in action?
I don't know about the other buckles found but this one came from a house site. Maybe the belt broke and the owner put the buckle away and forgot about it. Then, when the house was demolished the buckle ended up in the dirt.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good friend invited me to hunt with him today at a site that has been hunted hard for several years. My first two signals were 42 and 44 wheat cents. Then nothing for about 3 hours. Finally I made it back to my truck, took a couple Tylenol and rested for a few minutes. My buddy was in a different field so I walked over and started to hunt. After finding a few round balls and a couple rim fire casings I started back to the truck. I got a small signal and dug a flower button. Then, I headed for my truck not really paying attention to what I was doing. Fact is, I was about wore out. Well, I have heard the "on the way back to the truck" story so many times but never thought it would happen to me. I got a strong signal but it was iffy. It seemed to be shallow so I dug a plug in the soft dirt and when I flipped it out it took me a few seconds to realize what was there. My buddy was about 30 feet away and I just said "Kevin, I have a buckle"
He came over and I dropped it in his hand. He said he thought a belt plate would come from this site but didn't think it would come from this field.
This is my first Confederate Militia "clipped corner" belt plate in almost 50 years of detecting. View attachment 2063454 View attachment 2063455 View attachment 2063456 View attachment 2063457 View attachment 2063458
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about an update? I know that you got a positive ID on it. Bigger congratulations!
Yes and I posted it in a different thread. It was correctly identified as a US Militia shoulder belt plate 1812-1830. That makes it a rarer find for this site. I think the only thing older that I can remember coming from there was the 1776 Hibernia. Do you know of anything else? And don't say me!:laughing7: This is what a worn out old man looks like. I am dancing on the inside.
1812-1830 shoulder belt plate.jpg
1812-1830 shoulder belt plate obverse.jpg
1812-1830 shoulder belt plate reverse.jpg

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes and I posted it in a different thread. It was correctly identified as a US Militia shoulder belt plate 1812-1830. That makes it a rarer find for this site. I think the only thing older that I can remember coming from there was the 1776 Hibernia. Do you know of anything else? And don't say me!:laughing7: This is what a worn out old man looks like. I am dancing on the inside. View attachment 2063889 View attachment 2063890 View attachment 2063891
I'm not looking at the old man, just the nice flat cultivated soil.:icon_thumright::metaldetector:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread