Long range detector

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The M-scope is a metal detector. It won't find pockets or voids.

An M-scope can find large metal objects only. Like any detector the depth will depend on the size and composition of the object and the level of ground mineralization.

An M-scope might be able to locate a Cadillac at 20 foot depth if there is no ground mineralization. Since those conditions don't exist in real life your depth will be a less on a buried Cadillac and a lot less on smaller metal objects.

The M-scope is really good at locating iron pipe at 18 inch depth in mild ground. That's the most common use for an M-scope and the reason Fisher has made these for so many years.

OP
OP
B

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

An M-scope can find large metal objects only. Like any detector the depth will depend on the size and composition of the object and the level of ground mineralization.

An M-scope might be able to locate a Cadillac at 20 foot depth if there is no ground mineralization. Since those conditions don't exist in real life your depth will be a less on a buried Cadillac and a lot less on smaller metal objects.

The M-scope is really good at locating iron pipe at 18 inch depth in mild ground. That's the most common use for an M-scope and the reason Fisher has made these for so many years.

Disappointing but useful info...I think I will let it slip thru my greedy fingers :headbang:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Voids/pockets are best with the old school Whites Treasure master,big blue boxy style with dual antenas, if memory serves me right the 600 model?John

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Right on the nailhead! Can I get an amen brothers?

ZombieKnot

Dec 25, 2022
Ground penetrating RADAR is the only way to detect voids or pockets that i know of. GDI GeoExaminer3D is a resistance detector of metal and voids for about $4000. It uses ground probes or spikes you push into ground and then scan within the four probes square(patch, perimeter?). these types can sense about 8 feet deep at most but depends on mineralization. A turbocharged cement rebar and void detector.
For deep metal sensing you need a pulse detector. Garret Seamaster is cheapest form of PPM detector. Bought one used for $500 recently. Pulse signals penetrate deeper than constant signal sensor like a Gold Bug. You can make a HUGE COIL from online plans to reach ten feet deep. Meteorite folks have web site dedicated to this. Wires are taped to PVC pipe and carried by hands on either side while you are walking inside coil. Ropes let coil close to ground. Electronics are hung from a belt. The show " Meteorite Men" uses one in Norway i think. YouTube it.
Remember a round coil can only detect its diameter in depth. Take any round coil and turn it on its side and that is about as deep as it will go(more or less). Double D coils get twice their diameter in depth. Pulse detectors double depth with any coil.
You realize that a energy cone is what is under coil, right? A cone of energy emits from coils... pointed down to small circle in center and 1 inch in diameter below coil. Not a TUBE under coil in width, it gets smaller as it goes down. That is why 50% sweep overlap is taught to LAND MINE searchers. Would you want to miss one of those?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions