What's new

Long time, no post...

bazinga

Silver Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2005
Messages
2,967
Reaction score
80
Golden Thread
0
Location
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been a long time since I've posted on Tnet. For those that have been here a while, they might recognize me.

After lots of being busy over the past year I finally went to a bank today in my new hometown and asked them to order 2 boxes of halves for me. The odd thing was that when I asked what day the coins came in so that I could come in that afternoon and pay for them, the teller said that they weren't allowed to tell customers that information.

As if it is some secret when a huge Brinks truck pushes a big cart full of money into their door. It's as if the tellers are just idiots and don't think I can put two and two together when they call me and let me know that my order is ready.

Hopefully this bank delivers on the halves. Another branch of this bank never called me back after I ordered from them. Ever since I have moved, the tellers here have all been extremely rude. I think I need to find some new banks.

I also need to find a bank with a coin counter so that I can get rid of all of this coin.
 
Upvote 0
I don't know what your area is like, but here there are lots of banks. My personal view is that if your bank is not treating you right, find another bank. I have found some great banks recently that are very nice when it comes to ordering boxes (no fees or BS). My main bank that I had for years wanted to charge me for boxes after buying 2 or so a week for about 3 weeks (I am new to CRHing). I asked them if it was an across the board fee for anyone buying halves and they didnt directly answer, but instead said that anytime they have to order extra boxes for someone they get charged. Turns out I was the only buying them so I get to pay to have them brought in. I will keep my account there just to have a spare checking account if I need it, but it will have the minimum balance and I will put the rest of my dough elsewhere.

I believe that in general banks are hungry for customers now. I have had a couple of banks offer me boxes and I don't have an account there. But I feel that if they are going to be helping me CRH by getting me boxes, I should have some kind of account there to say "thanks", even if it is a small savings account. It has been working well the last week or so since I stopped buying from my old bank. Let's see how it goes down the road.

I have never had any bank refuse to tell me when the boxes are coming in. Do you live in a high crime area?


Jim
 
I remember you B. Odd that the teller would tell you that. Like you said...just seems idiotic. I could see not posting their delivery schedule in a newspaper or something...but I mean if you were going to pull off a heist of a cash delivery truck you would probably do a lot more planning than simply asking a teller when it rolled up. Good luck on your batch.
 
I am just south of Indianapolis, IN. Where I live I never hear anything about crime. Just everywhere I go I have to deal with rude bank tellers. Before I moved here I used to order $2,000 in halves every week without any hassles. The only they ever gave me besides the halves was a smile.

There are banks everywhere here. Just gotta find a couple of new ones. All of my money is kept in online accounts that earn higher interest, so I can't use my money as leverage by keeping it in their pathetic 0.20% savings accounts.

If they can't order halves for me and want to be rude about it, I will just have to use their branch as a dump bank.
 
DrDetector said:
I remember you B. Odd that the teller would tell you that. Like you said...just seems idiotic. I could see not posting their delivery schedule in a newspaper or something...but I mean if you were going to pull off a heist of a cash delivery truck you would probably do a lot more planning than simply asking a teller when it rolled up. Good luck on your batch.

My thoughts exactly. There is enough money in their entire bank and the brinks truck combined that would make me even come close to thinking it was worthwhile to rob them.

Some tellers are just idiots.

Last week I deposited like $40 into my account and the teller made me give her my driver's license. I asked why and she said sometimes people like family members try to deposit money into other relatives accounts. I told her that if my family, or anyone else for that matter, came in and wanted to deposit money into my account then please let them.

Then today I deposit $1400 and handed a different teller my license and she pushed it away like I was an idiot for showing it to her.
 
I get that all the time, about not revealing the drop off time. And frankly it doesn't bother me the least bit. It's just policy I guess? We learn to work around them. After all where would this HOBBY be without them.

It would be nice to know exactly what time, but they could be late sometimes. It's really not a big deal. I just pick them up later in the day that they say their gonna be there.

Happy Hunting and Welcome back.

Mojo
 
My last bank had no problem telling me what time the pickups came. I just came later that afternoon. And if the delivery was ever late they would give me a nice courtesy call to let me know.
 
Hey Brian, welcome back! You're one of the Old Guard who posted here before the was even a specific CRH board. I remember you were one of the big volume searchers back before it caught on with the rest of America, and you had some great finds.

Everyone check out some of the earliest CRH posts and you'll see some of Brian's amazing stats (the ones that weren't deleted that is.) :wink:
 
Yeah, a few years back a couple of us started posting too much on the main finds forum so the mods created this forum for us.

I just hope I can get back into the silver again.

My buddy continued hunting for silver over the winter after I moved away and he found enough silver to buy himself a shiny new Excalibur 2. After hearing that I just had to get back into it again!

Thanks for the welcome back, Immy!
 
Welcome back Brian! You did have some good finds back in the day. I always enjoyed reading what the competition was finding. ;D Good luck getting back in the game in your new stomping grounds!

cmhoose
 
cmhoose, I just shot you a pm.
 
:wave: Bsco, Welcome back! I recently came back to TNET,had been gone for a good while too. Definitely find some other banks that will be more helpful to you. It is rather odd that they won't tell you when your coin will be delivered. I order coin from 3 or 4 banks and everyone is extremely helpful and polite. Sometimes I forget when they tell me it will be in,but they call me as well to let me know its there.

Today was my first order of halves since one year ago. I picked up $2000.00, ($1000.00 from each of two banks). The one bank I found 1-90% silver halve and the other bank I found 42-40% silver halves. I was shocked as I wasn't even finding that much when I stopped last year. lol

Have fun and hope you find a good share of hi-ho silver! :wink:
 
bscofield6 said:
After lots of being busy over the past year I finally went to a bank today in my new hometown and asked them to order 2 boxes of halves for me. The odd thing was that when I asked what day the coins came in so that I could come in that afternoon and pay for them, the teller said that they weren't allowed to tell customers that information.

As if it is some secret when a huge Brinks truck pushes a big cart full of money into their door. It's as if the tellers are just idiots and don't think I can put two and two together when they call me and let me know that my order is ready.

First off, welcome back!

I have had the same thing a few times, but in reverse. Since I mainly buy bags off the coin machines I want to stop in the shortly before they prepare the bags for shipment. I have gotten numerous squirrelly answers from tellers.. "Oh we can't tell you that for security reasons." Not like I asked what time of day, just what day of the week so I don't get. "We just shipped everything yesterday". After enough times checking back on various days of the week, I get the same information and they don't even realize it. Oh well, pretty much only pick up at a few banks on my typical route now as I can usually pick up enough that it fills all the time I have to search anyway and I know their schedules well at least as it impacts me.
 
Well hello Brian......welcome back!! I figured you just rode off into the sunset. Glad to see you back.

Have you been doing any MD'ing? If I remember correctly you were good at it. Also, if my memory serves me right you were putting together an IH cent collection book together right???? If that was you how is it coming along?

Again, welcome back & good luck on the halves. Keep us posted.
 
Hey Brian, you're right, long time no post. Good to see you're back !

Good luck in your new home town and happy hunting (both CRH & MD)
 
Thanks for the welcome back everybody!

I did metal detect a few times at the end of last summer at a couple of beaches once they closed for the year. Found some nice gold and silver to add to the collection. I've just been so busy as of late and don't know any other people that detect in my area that it's certainly not as fun going out alone and having nobody to share the finds with.

Yeah, I was getting fairly close to completing a set of IH all dug. I am down now to just the low mintage ones left to find. I have pretty much all of the other dates.

Hopefully I can find the time to detect and CRH more and make some posts of my finds.

I am planning at least one trip, maybe two, this summer to Florida with the main idea behind it to detect the beaches as much as possible. Hopefully I can bring home some gold.
 
It is all very branch specific. I have one bank that if I show up a little early, they will tell me they haven't gotten any coin and I should try back later in the week (even though I know they come in right around the time I stopped in). Contrast that with another bank that I frequent and if I show up early, they've told me to try back in 15 minutes as the coins should be there any minute.

Some tellers will tell me what company they use to ship coins, others will pretend that there aren't any companies and the coins just magically appear in the vault at some mysterious, yet-to-be-determined, unpredictable day/time.
 
I agree with XX it seems to be bank/branch specific.... The banks I pick up boxes from no problem same time every week , which makes it really convient . Then there are banks that I call about handrolls and they dont want to give out much info about how many rolls they have... like someone is going to rob them for halfs in a area that hasnt had bank robbery in the last 100 ++ years if not longer ...



Anyways glad to see you posting again , best of luck with your new hometown , CRHing and MDing ....



btw if that banks wont order halves sounds like a great dump bank :)
 
Scalper said:
btw if that banks wont order halves sounds like a great dump bank :)

My thoughts exactly. ;)
 
bscofield6 said:
the teller said that they weren't allowed to tell customers that information.
Brian, long time no hear, welcome back.

Sounds paranoid I guess. The manager at one of my main order banks didn't even want to tell me the name of her money carrier.

Funny thing is the next time she got halves for me a delivery reciept was wedged under the lid. Not only did I get the name of the carrier, I got the phone # and address. I called them later and asked about IKE $$ They let me come by a get a bag and a half.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom