Looking for a new detector

joshuajbelanger

Apr 19, 2010
Tampa, Fl
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Compadre
I've always had tesoro metal detectors, because i heard they were good machines and in my price range. But I'm finding that the more I get into this hobby that I want a better metal detector something that gives me a little bit of identification, at least with what probable metal that's in the ground.. I'm finding that it's difficult learning the Tesoro tone and trying to ID the target by sound... My budget is about $1000-$1500 any opinions?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jump on an expensive Minelab or Whites machine with the sporty screen and custom programs! You'll love looking at the liitle VDI numbers and playing with the neat programs. But discrimination is still discrimination, and those cool screens and cute little readouts still won't tell you the difference between a pulltab, tin foil, and a gold ring. Keep the two Tesoro machines, because in the end, you'll probably come back to them. Good Luck!

OP
OP
joshuajbelanger

joshuajbelanger

Apr 19, 2010
Tampa, Fl
Detector(s) used
I love how you posted on all of my threads I started! Yeah I probably will keep the tesoros, it's just such a learning curve, and I've heard the more experienced guys say it takes years to fully learn them, ain't nobody got time for that!!!

L

lost hunter

I like the Fisher F75 more user friendly than Minelab

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry is right..........Go ahead and buy that expensive thing with the screen and all the menu's. You'll spend more time wondering if the screen is right or playing with the menu's trying to tweak it into finding something good. But first get yourself a set of premium headphones like Grey Ghost and use them on the Tesoro. I have been at this for over 30 years and used many detector from the high dollar ones to the entry level ones and basicially what you get with the $$$ is more things that can go wrong.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes i will say that.....Terry & Sandman .... Are right on they are telling you the truth with out all that bull you hear about a screen.... A screen will not make you go any deeper just have you waste time setting it up .... Oh yes it will go deeper.... Deeper in your wallet for more cash to pay ... For all the extra bell's & whistles that you really don't need............

L

lost hunter

That would so great to have only tones. Unless you have significant hearing loss that's why I prefer the vid

OP
OP
joshuajbelanger

joshuajbelanger

Apr 19, 2010
Tampa, Fl
Detector(s) used
I know, that's what I keep hearing from all the older guys. Trouble is, I've had these machines for over 2 years now. I've also had a nice pair of headsets. I think I know the sound of a good target, then I dig it, and it's mostly garbage...I honestly have no idea what I should be listening for, I'm always second guessing myself, and there is no telling how many good targets I've passed up. I don't need a fancy screen to tell me exactly what I'm digging, but more something to give me at least, maybe, some idea of what metal it is, and also a general direction of depth...what machines are you guys using?

L

lost hunter

F75 SE is the one I have It works for me

fmurphy

Greenie
Oct 12, 2012
Texas Panhandle
Detector(s) used
White's MX SPORT / White's TRX Pointer / SaskHunters Kustom Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an F75 in excellent condition with 3coils I might part with if interested. The coils are 11"DD 10"concentric and 6.5concentric with extra lower rod. It is Nov '07 model. Works great

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love how you posted on all of my threads I started! Yeah I probably will keep the tesoros, it's just such a learning curve, and I've heard the more experienced guys say it takes years to fully learn them, ain't nobody got time for that!!!

I like the F75 too, I bought one. But Terry is right. No easy ride, your gonna have to learn a machine. I'd tell ya get the AT Pro. But sooner or later you will learn, and want that Minelab GT or equivalent.

The VDI screen on the F75 does right by me. I still dig tabs and foil, but not as often. If I just want to go to a tone mode I can. Im sure there is other detectors out there that will too. Check with your local area and see what they are using. I know nothing of your area and some detectors aren't going to work any better for you.

Good Luck

ezzz1

Oct 5, 2011
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75,Teknetic 8000, At pro , At gold,Tesoro Sabre Compass X-80,fisher cd3z, goldbug2 , Garrett 250 ace 150 ,Fisher F-5,fisher 553,Teknetic 2000,fisher f4 Tesoro lobo,, silver Umax, ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
F-75 is the way to go.......... Tesoro is ok but they cant keep up with the Fisher F-75 in Depth & picking out small items like ear rings ............what ever you go with dont just go by the screen .rings and pull tab will give the same reading on some machines.
I had the Tejon and used it for a Yr. then went to the F-75. It was like going over new ground when i went back to where i used the Tesoro & with the small loop it would pick out good items in trashy areas.. where the Tejon had a slow recovery

L

lost hunter

I took the 75 out yesterday just playing with it Boost mode sen 95 dis 15 sweeping fast hit on nickel under a rusted nail 6" deep great vid Works great

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
joshuajbelanger said:
I know, that's what I keep hearing from all the older guys. Trouble is, I've had these machines for over 2 years now. I've also had a nice pair of headsets. I think I know the sound of a good target, then I dig it, and it's mostly garbage...I honestly have no idea what I should be listening for, I'm always second guessing myself, and there is no telling how many good targets I've passed up. I don't need a fancy screen to tell me exactly what I'm digging, but more something to give me at least, maybe, some idea of what metal it is, and also a general direction of depth...what machines are you guys using?

Yep, those older guys are still using rotary phones too. Heard one of them is going to invest in a eight track tape player.

L

lost hunter

ticm said:
Yep, those older guys are still using rotary phones too. Heard one of them is going to invest in a eight track tape player.

Switchboard operator and party lines

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I like the Fisher F75 more user friendly than Minelab

lost hunter I downloaded the manuals for an Etrac and F75 and studied them vigorously, I was gonna buy one of the stinkin things. The Etrac is so easy to program, a caveman could do it. The F75 has a non intuitive interface that is a bit wacky. But I still would buy the F75 over the Etrac, if I had a gun to my head. If I did not have a gun to my head, I would buy the Etrac.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I've always had tesoro metal detectors, because i heard they were good machines and in my price range. But I'm finding that the more I get into this hobby that I want a better metal detector something that gives me a little bit of identification, at least with what probable metal that's in the ground.. I'm finding that it's difficult learning the Tesoro tone and trying to ID the target by sound... My budget is about $1000-$1500 any opinions?

Get a midrange, look at F5, M6, atpro, many others. Since you will mostly be using your ears to carefully listen to the targets, spend the money you saved on a good set of phones. I recommend pro golds, very good audio on these.

L

lost hunter

gleaner1 said:
lost hunter I downloaded the manuals for an Etrac and F75 and studied them vigorously, I was gonna buy one of the stinkin things. The Etrac is so easy to program, a caveman could do it. The F75 has a non intuitive interface that is a bit wacky. But I still would buy the F75 over the Etrac, if I had a gun to my head. If I did not have a gun to my head, I would buy the Etrac.

And after you got the Minelab You would put a gun to your head Lmao

ezzz1

Oct 5, 2011
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75,Teknetic 8000, At pro , At gold,Tesoro Sabre Compass X-80,fisher cd3z, goldbug2 , Garrett 250 ace 150 ,Fisher F-5,fisher 553,Teknetic 2000,fisher f4 Tesoro lobo,, silver Umax, ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a midrange, look at F5, M6, atpro, many others. Since you will mostly be using your ears to carefully listen to the targets, spend the money you saved on a good set of phones. I recommend pro golds, very good audio on these.
Why would anybody get the F5, M6 ,AT pro or any other you mention when he can afford one of the best on the market?
It doesnt take a rocket scientist like you try to make out, most of the time i just turn it on and go using the pre -setting on it......It has one of the best Target Id system on the market if your a screen hunter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread