What's new

✅ SOLVED Looks hand drilled to me. Any ideas?

Larryb

Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2012
Messages
65
Reaction score
117
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSC00737.webp
DSC00740.webp
DSC00738.webp
DSC00741.webp
 
Upvote 0
It's a great piece. You found it. That tells the whole story. The weathering and water makes it look smooth and clean. It' the real deal. I don't think those holes were drilled with a modern bit. A common modern drill bit will not drill a hole in a rock. It takes a carbide masonry bit, which come in 1/16"-1/8" graduated sizes.
 
Sounds like a legit find to me. I have found points in creeks that look like they were just made with fresh fractures but I know Im the only one allowed in the creek and I didnt make it. Water can do some amazing things like polish and stain but sometimes the stain doesnt show. Id be proud to find something like that. Just not much drilled things where I look, its a beauty
 
It's a great piece. You found it. That tells the whole story. The weathering and water makes it look smooth and clean. It' the real deal. I don't think those holes were drilled with a modern bit. A common modern drill bit will not drill a hole in a rock. It takes a carbide masonry bit, which come in 1/16"-1/8" graduated sizes.

Slate is very soft material. Natives drilled it for thousands of years without carbide bits.
 
Thank you everyone for your help and comments. I would never have guessed what it was.
 
That’s a bucket list find for a lot of people I would be ecstatic to have found that.
 
That’s a bucket list find for a lot of people I would be ecstatic to have found that.

You got dat right! I've only found a couple of small fragments through the many years.
 
That I know, they drilled with a stone drill. I was saying that it is not modern.
Slate is very soft material. Natives drilled it for thousands of years without carbide bits.
 
I'd be very happy with that piece. That is an outstanding find.
 
I have been reading about these since you guys said what it was. I see why people question whether it was real or newly made. I see one on ebay by a guy that has a bunch of them , cheep... What BS
This one will not be for sale and is going to have a honored place in my collection, witch was mostly collected by my father. I have maybe 20 points. Thanks again for the comments.
 
Slate is soft enough to be drilled with a common hss drill bit made for metal.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom