🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Looks like cut off pistol barrel.

erfranks

Mar 3, 2021
Cape Coral, Fl
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-2B
Minelab Equinox 800
White TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug this in Eastern NC in a Calvary camp. I am not sure what it is. To me it looks like a field made powder measuring tool. But looks to be cut from a pistol barrel. Has anyone seen anything like this. Or does anyone have have an idea what this is?

Attachments

• IMG_1997.jpeg
    IMG_1997.jpeg
    457.6 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_1998.jpeg
    IMG_1998.jpeg
    455.7 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_1999.jpeg
    IMG_1999.jpeg
    362.8 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_2001.jpeg
    IMG_2001.jpeg
    240.9 KB · Views: 110
OP
OP
erfranks

erfranks

Mar 3, 2021
Cape Coral, Fl
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-2B
Minelab Equinox 800
White TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to me to be a ramrod guide versus a barrel.
Ok, never seen a ramrod guide in that shape ok, could be…. It is blocked off on one end and other end cut in an angle…. I was thinking this person made a powder measure. What do you think?

Upvote 1

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok, never seen a ramrod guide in that shape ok, could be…. It is blocked off on one end and other end cut in an angle…. I was thinking this person made a powder measure. What do you think?

Found this picture looking for something else and immediately thought of this post. This is a picture of a ramrod guide/thimble.

Notice the similarities between your find and this one. This was posted on TNet some years back (2010l) so only a preview of the picture is available.

images.jpeg-1.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 5
OP
OP
erfranks

erfranks

Mar 3, 2021
Cape Coral, Fl
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-2B
Minelab Equinox 800
White TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this picture looking for something else and immediately thought of this post. This is a picture of a ramrod guide/thimble.

Notice the similarities between your find and this one. This was posted on TNet some years back (2010l) so only a preview of the picture is available.

View attachment 2119579
I see that it is a ram rod slide , my question is. That it has been cut in an angle at one end and blocked at the other end. Does anyone think that it might be a powder measure? Because of what it was made into…

Upvote 1

Hbot37

Bronze Member
Jul 7, 2022
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see that it is a ram rod slide , my question is. That it has been cut in an angle at one end and blocked at the other end. Does anyone think that it might be a powder measure? Because of what it was made into…
Is one end purposefully blocked or is it still just packed with dirt? Looks like dirt to me but its hard to tell without seeing in person.

Upvote 3

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There were straight ends on both and tapered end on the one like your example.
Well dug-congrats.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
erfranks

erfranks

Mar 3, 2021
Cape Coral, Fl
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-2B
Minelab Equinox 800
White TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is one end purposefully blocked or is it still just packed with dirt? Looks like dirt to me but its hard to tell without seeing in person.
No it is blocked on purpose…. I cleaned the dirt out. It is lead. Here are couple more pictures. Thanks for the responses.
IMG_2701.jpeg
IMG_2700.jpeg

Upvote 1

dozer dan

Jan 14, 2008
PNW
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe what you have there is an old trap stake. A cable snare or chain was attached to the eyelet then a rod was inserted into the barrel and driven into the ground. When it was deep enough the rod was removed leaving nothing sticking above ground but the wire or chain.
you didn’t need to carry 50 pounds of rebar with you when trapping. Here’s a picture of a more modern version.

Attachments

• IMG_1839.jpeg
    IMG_1839.jpeg
    53.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I believe what you have there is an old trap stake. A cable snare or chain was attached to the eyelet then a rod was inserted into the barrel and driven into the ground. When it was deep enough the rod was removed leaving nothing sticking above ground but the wire or chain.
you didn’t need to carry 50 pounds of rebar with you when trapping. Here’s a picture of a more modern version.
I get your story. Pretty clever way to save on stakes. 👍🏼

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread