Lost Mines in Mexico - An Important Discovery by H.O. Flipper August 21, 1889

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kanacki, you posted ---And Don Jose You still have not figured out the island just yet my friend.... You know this old pirate has method in his madness helping the victims of latest typhoon, months back. :-) Such is the way of the cannibal seas.
:laughing7:

I understood, you are still treasure hunting ya ol reprobate, beach comber.
:laughing7::laughing7:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Don Jose amigo Hats off to your father.

I have rounded the Horn only twice both heading from west to east with wind behind me. The girly way :-) We first time was a breeze as we lucked out with really good weather week of blue sky and moderate winds. The First time we motored through the strait of Magellan. Second time we got see its evil grumpy face. Crow lost about 15 kilos rounding the Horn. Never seen a guy spew so much:-) Like being on a roller coaster rolling and pitch from side to side for 2 weeks night and day in howling storms. We got thrown further south into the furious fifties there is a couple of Active volcanic Ice island as well as rogue icebergs to watch out for. Crow got smashed by a wave split his head open above his left eye forcing him to squint, sliced his arm open as ice was forming on the rigging. Even today he never fully regained feeling in his fingers. Looked like he had a couple rounds with Mike Tyson :-) Every part of ship was wet. It was one of those trips he dos not like to Crow about;-)

The old Australian grain ships used to lose a man a voyage around the Horn. They did not call it the widow maker run for nothing.

Here's my chart of the Horn see the red marks there ships that did not make it.

3390945324_8686b7e997_b.jpg

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doc -D yes it is apt name for the old Pirate.

However name was after a notorious tavern that was used to shanghai men. The publican got cut of the men per head he could recruit for whalers. Ie of getting sailors drunk and dropped down a trap door in the floor of bar area into the cellar and dragged out through a tunnel onto a tender and onto a sailing ship only to awake at sea signed on a ship as Crew. The Shanghai express.

The tavern still exists and so does tunnels to the harbor. Here is picture of cellar which sill has shackles for dragging not quite drunk seamen to their new found careers :-)

View attachment 1200213

Kanacki

Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RC ironic is it not.

Not one of 4 son and 4 daughters have the slightest bit of interest searching for treasure. They have grown up with the old boy going off on crazy trips around the world, and are over it. My two oldest sons are sea captains. The 3rd well he is with me on this voyage at the moment. And my youngest Son is in training for the Olympics to compete in wrestling. However he is looking for a career in Physiotherapy. he is 17 this year and 6 ft 5 and still growing. My older Sons are tall but not as tall as him. They call him the Prey-mantis as he has a long gangling wiry body not quite thickened out yet. And hey I need to find treasure as he is a eating machine :-)

Ironic having 8 children and my Grandson from my oldest daughter is 16.

One thing my friend happiness is not sign of wealth but a piece of mind. Some of poorest people I have met are the happiest.

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OH Don Jose Amigo

How down you manage to stop being the family ATM? My mob of hungry cannibals are bleeding me dry:-)

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gracias Senor Kanacki……..I was thinking the Ocean Child for the origin of his new parenthood status……..the place and story for which it is named seems also an good reason…..
Vaya con Dios

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Bankruptsy is monkey on the back of many a treasure hunter over the years. It was one of the lessons hardluck taught us well. That is why these days we risk asses each project. We mitigate risk by never putting all our eggs in one proverbial basket.

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once Done Jose again its late and my eyes are drooping I had yarn for you But I am snoozing mid sentence.. I should be hanging around until the 26th weather pending. I make my run for Micronesia.

Kanacki

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Valley Center, CA/Yuma, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that two dolphin fish you have in your picture? Nice cooked on hot coals on a beach in tinfoil or coconut palms mixed with coconut milk. I think you would love it out here the fishing is very good as the continental shelf drops off a few kilometers off the coast.

Kanacki

Kanacki, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I have very slow, limited and expensive internet access at home, so I usually post during my breaks and lunch at work. Yes, they are dolphinfish, also known as “Dorado” in Mexico (which fits in with the Treasure Net subject matter). Delicious in many ways. I would love to fish (and sail too) in your area. I took a 5 week vacation in Queensland several years ago, and went fishing several times, as well as several snorkeling/diving trips to the GBR. Fantastic! In my younger days, I had planned on exploring the South Pacific on my own boat as well. I had intended to go the multihull route. Smaller crew, shallow draft, not for the Roaring Forties, though... However a divorce and life in general got in the way….. Now, close to retiring, with 2 strong sons to watch over the "ranch", I plan to do some more traveling. Who knows where I may end up? Both of your boats are beautiful. The bulkheads are definitely a good idea, as is the sheathing. Please continue with the tales. Don Jose seems to tell more tales when others are posting as well, so that is a good thing. I don't expect him to give us any details on Tayopa necessarily, but he has a wealth of stories that have nothing to do with specific info on Tayopa that he has shared, and I am sure he has more. I'm sure you have plenty also, so keep em coming!

:coffee2::coffee2::occasion14::coffee2::coffee2:

JB

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to sleep my friend, you have earned it. Incidentally The ATM machine cutoff was for the two grand children and the 4 great grandchildren. This one is about to drop another great grand child any day now.

GetAttachment (1).jpg

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola shortfinger

You will never know where you end up in this world?

Sounds like you already had a few adventures already? Travel my friend becomes a little like a mind expansion drug and some times gets in the way of commitments in life. As I tell my wife I rather be a tiger in jungle than a tiger in a cage in the zoo. I am very lucky man as my wife has been a pillar of support in my wander lust. Yet her gentle, nurturing and caring nature has over years turned me into a bit of ***** cat. I suppose its not a bad trade off when you be come a granddad you realize you have survived life while overs have come and gone. And you lose that anger at the unfairness in the world when I was once that fiery tiger.:laughing7:

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Don Jose my apologies for derailing this topic some what.

I am not sure H O Flipper ever went to Spain for his research was gathered from documents in Mexico. He was hired by a Millionaire mining magnate after Flipper was out of the Army. Crow or Amy would of been the best to clarify that.

And the Jesuits at least was openly operating their missions central South American as an almost independent country or even secular independent state free of interference of the crown. Even raising their own native Army. To the north in Mexico they were educating the next generation of native Mexican intellectuals to question the King of Spain absolute sovereignty over Mexico. Just had United State Had done with England.

Kanacki

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Tales of giant lizards turn up.
No claim of complete inventory of all flora and fauna; a daunting task by any measure, to prove or disprove what exists or existed.

[Although New Guinea covers less than 0.5 per cent of the Earth’s landmass, it shelters 6 to 8 per cent of the world’s species. Over two thirds of these species are found nowhere else on earth. It is an area that is nature rich, but money poor.]

(Source)

Over 1000 New Species Found in New Guinea : Discovery News

This is where scientists insist on using "BooK Smarts" rather than "Street Smarts". Just look at how they had written off the Coelacanth.
Beautiful vessel Kanacki, are you sure you're not holding out on us and that is your dinghy from a much larger vessel, just out of sight ?

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Kanacki, you, Don Jose, Oro, Crow and others are a REAL inspiration to us, a BAD influence, but a real inspiration. Keeping you guy's memories alive and re-telling those stories are a treasure themselves. Wish more would share their adventures with the younger and help encourage them to do something with their lives. I'm no spring chicken either, But as Don Jose once said, every time he looks in a mirror he sees a 50 year old man, ( unless there is actually a 50 year old BUTLER standing behind him every time he looks into the mirror ? ) . You gentlemen have ACTUALLY lived a life rather than just participate in life.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simon, I wish it was only a 50 year old man, sigh, but unfortunately it is a 90+ year older guy staring back at me. :dontknow:

You must remerber I was shanghied into the Navy right out of high schol, in time for Peal Harbor,
although I was sent to The Nordan Bombsight school instead of Pearl Harbor, as the rest of my clssmates were..

Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Simon 1

I do have interest in bigger another ship. It is for not for profit humanitarian purposes. Various corporations have invested interest into the project. Which will have benefits For remote settlements in Papua New Guniea, Solomon Islands, Vanuatu and even Marshall, Nauru island and Micronesia. A group of altruistic businessmen from various countries got together to try to help get better medical service some of the more remotest parts of western Pacific.

I will not say How much it cost me personally but the cost will far out weight the long term benefits. The last few years I have trained through my voyages very poor young men and women from various locations in Western Pacific in basic seaman ship via the "Drumbeat" Many gone on to various vessels and further training and employment as crew of fishing vessel or various merchant navies. These are young men and women that had very few skill or chances to do some thing with their lives. My wife and I took many young people under own wings and rewired negative attitudes to a more positive out look in life. For one once they have sailed with us they change from disorganized disillusioned young men and women to more organized people confident in themselves and world about them.

Some of those crew are now being employed on this new ship which will have rotating crews as the vessel bellow is to be run by donations by various foundations. We have volunteer trainee doctors seeking experience dentist and other trained medical practitioners that sail on this vessel and Crew. The vessel is small Ex Norwegian Landing ship in excellent condition, built for tough challenging Arctic conditions.Which will be converted into Mini medical center. Its by no means an all out hospital. But it being landing craft can get places where other ships could not go. The vessel can beach and land FWD drives to even remote villages inland from the coast if there are roads. Doctor teams can be loaded onto Zodiacs to get in places where the ship cannot go. Most services offered for free is only basic medical services.

The flow on effect will be are enormous. On my island there was two abandoned slipways. Since my sailing vessels used the slips, I have invested in repairing them and, it is give opportunity to create a few jobs with locals and enhancing local skills when the ex landing vessel arrives. Once on the Slip is going to be repainted white with big red Cross on the sides and rear. Also a few minor modifications. The 6 modified containers will be fitted out there also. As we will be installing air conditioning for the tropics. That with mini refit of the Ocean"child". The slip will be a little bit busy in next few months. A big plus for the local economy.

There is also employment for Captain and Crews and Voluntary experience for medical teams. And for remote Island atolls, where there is little or no medical assistance a god Send. The medical center will be in 6 Container which are loaded on top deck. The Crane can lift the containers onto a FWD Forklift. vehicles and extra equipment such as generators etc can packed into Garage space. Besides Crew We can take about 8-10 medical crew. They have been given 12 months to prove the ability of this concept project to give better health outcomes in the region. Each container module has its own specialty. Pharmacy, x ray, dentist, Doctor consultation rooms. Optometrist.

255705_3.jpg

255705_1.jpg

118386.jpg

118338.jpg

As said if the project can prove cost effective positive out comes in the 12 month trial. At present I am talking to CEO of mining companies PR to get behind the project.

Kanacki

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simon, I wish it was only a 50 year old man, sigh, but unfortunately it is a 90+ year older guy staring back at me. :dontknow:

You must remerber I was shanghied into the Navy right out of high schol, in time for Peal Harbor,
although I was sent to The Nordan Bombsight school instead of Pearl Harbor, as the rest of my clssmates were..
Real Amigo, you may need glasses,your the one staring,lighten up,
maybe you will find a golden shoe that fits.:notworthy:NP:cat:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread