What's new

Lost Treasure Hunters in AZ

:icon_scratch:I have hunted treasure in AZ...South of Tucson to Flagstaff. I never hunt in the summer...NEVER. Be a boy scout; Always: "Be Prepared" and know your limitations. I looked deeply into the Dutchman's tale and came to the conclusion it was Hooey. None of his clues matched the area ...but they do work just outside the Superstitions. I have been researching and looking at the Dutchman as a sentinel for the KGC (Knights of the Golden Circle)...I have not settled on it conclusively yet but it makes more sense. One gentlemen in his recent book confirms my thesis, as he told of an altercation and warning from a black helicopter and a threatening group, in his search. ???Cache.
See my web site: www.lostloot-treasure.com
 
Those guys had been there before (2 of them had).

2 were in pretty good shape.

They went in at 2 am, not in the middle of the day.

They left water every so often on the trail when they went in so that they had it coming back out.


Don't know if you've hike to Tortilla Ranch, but I can pack in there, with a pack and water, spend the day and hike back out before 6pm. But - I don't ever do it in the summer. And, I make sure I'm in "hiking shape" before I go. And I'm over 60.

One other, important thing - in the winter, it may be 70's in the day, but, in my earlier days, when I was young and stupid about backpacking into the desert - it got so cold at night that I actually had my bag freeze to the ground, and had the inside of the tent rain - from our warm breath
clashing with the cold air outside. I have a light parka that I always stuff in my pack - it has a thermometer attached to the zipper.

If you go into the wilderness - you cannot have a ground fire, by law.

The desert is as deadly as it is beautiful.

Beth
 
I just came upon this post tonight. I am sorry to hear the lose of 3 TH's in Arizona. I know it can be very dangerous in the desert during summer time. Here is some information about how to use a compass and map together. Hopefully this will help all you out whether in open area or in the dense forest terrain.

http://www.learn-orienteering.org/old/

http://www.ussartf.org/compass_basics.htm
 
Morning BETH: you posted -->They left water every so often on the trail when they went in so that they had it coming back out.
**************
That is an old Aborigine trick, it tends to show that they weren't as unprepared or ignorant of desert conditions as we have been giving them credit for. A plus for them.

As you start you are able to handle the weight easier, by unloading it periodically, you need less energy to continue to travel. On your return trip you certainly are tired but no where as tired as you would have been if you had been carrying that water all day long.

This of course presupposes an ability to travel in both known, and unknown territory, and of course returning the same way.

The Apaches were famous for this, which puzzled the Military as to how they could travel for days in absolutely barren and dry country.

The natives of the Kalahari desert in Africa used sealed Ostrich eggs to hold their water, gourds are too porous..

If you are exploring unknown country, you do not FIGHT it, but adapt yourself to travel with as little fuss and disturbance as is possible.

Has it been established theoretically why, how they died?

Don Jose de La Mancha
 
I believe, as it is said right now - that they died from exposure to the elements.

Two went down, and one went to get help - who also did not make it back.

The last I heard, they were still doing some investigations, but I believe that is the verdict.

Beth
 
Sad,,Happens to much out in the desert. The what if's get a lot of people.
 
I just spoke to one of the family members.

The investigation is done, as far as they know. She said (the daughter of Ardean Charles) and, I am just going to quote what she said:

What we were told by a detective with MCSO is that my dad and Malcolm were laying on the rocks and it seemed as though they just went to sleep and never woke up. As for Merworth, he went for help and got about a mile away before he dug a trench, crawled in there and died. The detective said that Merworth removed all of his clothes and that the animals scattered his remains around. The detective said that it looks like Malcolm perished first. That's all we know about it.

As I'm sure most folks who are familiar with the desert knows, severe dehydration results in something similar to severe frostbite - the mind shuts down, and that is usually it. For people who have survived severe dehydration (or frostbite), they say that they were not in pain - that they were
just feeling sleepy. That is the main reason why some folks have died with full canteens - they do not know they are dehydrated, and your body doesn't really tell you. You stop to rest, fall asleep, and expire.

I take from this that - while it was a tragedy of the utmost degree - that it ended peacefully. And, I say a prayer for them - as I do for Jesse Capen.


The Lost Dutchman has added 3 more to its sad history.

Beth
 
Kind of reminds me of the professional idiots my brother was forced to risk his own neck looking for quite a few times in the white mountains. Yup, go hiking in the mountains in early spring in shorts and a tee shirt and no extra equipment . Oh no it doesnt get cold up there when the sun goes down. I may feel bad for their families but, go on a fools errand a fool usually gets what coming, plain and simple. Stupidity kills.
 
Well, THAT wasn't necessary.

Nor is it correct. One of the gentlemen who perished had been there before, one was in real good physical shape, they went in well-prepared, and had been to the area before.

Beth
 
It may not of been necessary but its the truth Mrs O. The way i see it they obviously werent well prepared or they wouldnt of paid the ultimate price. You can be prepared with all the finest equipment in the world but its not going to save you if you do not have the knowledge to work with nature instead of trying to overcome it. Stupidity isnt the only thing that kills, so does being over confident in your own abilities. You can be in the best possible shape in the world, it wont win a fight against nature.If one of them was there before then he should of known better. When youre out in the wilderness the only thing you are and become is part of the food chain while youre there, thats it. Theres no mercy in nature. Speak the truth about how it is and just maybe it will keep somebody else from doing the same thing. Cover it all over with political correctness spit n polish and there just might be another fool or two that attempts the same thing.
 
You missed the second part of my post.

It is not correct -

You sound like one of those folks who think they are impervious to the elements. Many a well-prepared and experienced hiker/biker/camper, AND experts at saving lives - have had problems, no matter who they were, nor how well they were educated.

I won't even mention the fact that the families of these lost people READ these posts - oh, wait, I guess I will mention that.

Headlines like this one are not as uncommon as you might think. Nobody is immune from a problem.

Gila County Sheriff’s Office Mounted Posse member Larry Woolsey fell to his death Tuesday night during a search for a man missing since Friday.

Beth
 
You sound like one of those folks who think they are impervious to the elements. Many a well-prepared and experienced hiker/biker/camper, AND experts at saving lives - have had problems, no matter who they were, nor how well they were educated.

No, i just know enough not to get myself into a situation that could kill me through no fault but my own. I cant swim, therefore i have brains enough not to go out on a boat. I know headlines like these arent uncommon, as i stated before, my brother was on the rescue team where he lives in the white mountain. He use to have to go out and risk his own life( three to four times a year) looking for the fools who went up there because they thought they knew what they were doing but had no clue about what they were getting into. I've heard many a story from him. And who is to blame for the posse members death? The fool who got lost is to blame. Sometimes the truth is harsh, play with fire sooner or later youre going to get burned. Under estimate nature and its going to kill you.
 
Well, glad to hear your brother is a volunteer or works with s&r. I respect those guys.

However, anyone who has a "problem" with going out and saving a life might want to just stay home and stay "safe".

Beth
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom