What's new

Lost Treasure Hunters in AZ

The ages of the two older men concern me. I trecked just 5 miles yesterday with a heat index of only 105. Hot and humid. Hard to stay hydrated. They were doing what they wanted and were grown men. Hope all is well gold or not. Thanks for keeping us updated,,,
TnMtns
 
Any new news on these guys?
 
Going on two weeks now. What do you think?

Mike
 
gollum said:
Going on two weeks now. What do you think?

Mike

They are no longer alive.
 
DING DING DING Tell him what he's won Johnny!
 
gollum said:
DING DING DING Tell him what he's won Johnny!

Glad you can find some good So cal humor in this possibility. :thumbsup:
 
I can find humor everywhere! I am disturbed.

I hope that when my time comes, nobody cries, and they all sit around telling stories about me and laughing!

Best-Mike
 
gollum said:
Going on two weeks now. What do you think?

Mike

well yeah but I didn't want to say it.
 
gargreen18 said:
Rasputin said:
They were searching in the searing summer heat, two of them have medical conditions, and one has been rescued before...they are clearly poised to remove themselves from the gene pool.

I agree with you there! Greed kills. If one of them has been lost before and hasn't learned from that experience.... Then leave em out there!



You are young and have little experience..I do hope you never experience the pain these families are going through..It could be you Mother grieving for you.......or you...down the line...looking for your child.

Another mom grieving for a sonshe will never find.....
 
Good point, Cynthia.

Plus - the statement that "he was lost before" is incorrect, which I have already pointed out once. That statement is made on false information in the beginning of the search.

The one man did go out last year. However, he mis-judged how long it would take to get back to his vehicle, so he made camp for the night. He walked out, on his own power the following morning. (rescue WAS called, but he got out himself. He was able to use his cell phone in the morning, as he got closer to the trailhead).

Beth
 
good afternoon my friends:

I am a bit late in this, but short stack claims that there was no mine, that Waltz had probably found a cache from possibly either the Peraltas or the Apache. Granted, possible, 'but' that ore still had to have come from somewhere, so there does exist the fact that there is a valuable mine in the Superstitions, no ?

Whether it is called the LDM or the Peraltas is of no great importance. It still remains a worthy goal for men such as Jessie. The so called "Dying breed" of true adventurers. The ones that are willing to risk all on a throw of Kismet's dice.


Gully, K I will have an Oirish wake for you, providing you will me the Land Rover and your THing toys. Oh yes, your library also.

Cyn, keep me advised on Jess's statue, maybe even a photograph or two?

Don Jose de La Mancha
 
It is sad to hear about someone getting lost and then end up dead. I don't know if most people who go out into wilderness like that are just following trails, and or using a compass while they are hiking, exploring etc.

If one is to ENSURE of NOT getting lost ANYWHERE, BRING A COMPASS, LEARN HOW TO USE IT, LEARN how to read maps, bring a protractor, paper and pen or pencil as well! Also maps of the area if you can get them.

Also, get a backpack of ALL supplies like water, (they even have the water purification packs if you happen to find water anywhere they also come with purification osmoses bottles to make ANY water drinkable), MRE's, (they are easier to pack and light weight), first aid kits, small portable tent, batteries and a flashlight, AND A BEACON STROBE LIGHT for emergencies, (at night anyone, aircraft flying in the area can spot a beacon strobe light miles and miles away at night, etc, (regardless of you planning only making a couple hours or a day trip out of it). 100ft of 1/2in, 100ft of 3/4in ropes, (rappelling) and carabiners. EXTRA clothing! Never know when you might need them!

Yes all this stuff can weigh about 30-50 lbs, but one should get used to packing it, it could save your life! LEARN your pace count for 100 Meters, keep track of every 100 meters you travel. (with feet side by side, step off with your right foot, every time your left foot hits the ground is about 1 meter, (at NORMAL walking in case anyone doesn't know), They have plastic beads on parachute chord, (called Ranger Beads) for pace counting.

If you don't know how to use a compass and going out into those areas, you are only asking for trouble as well as NOT being prepared for supplies.

Prior military personell, (mostly grunts), can vouch for using a compass, (the military kind ONLY), NOT the compass on the clear plexiglas board.

Using the (military compass), by tracking your coordinates, WRITING DOWN, your degrees, (South 166% 352 meters as as example), heading the direction you want to go by AIMING your compass, (towards an object like a lone tree, particular mountain that stands out, etc), if you make a turn WRITE DOWN your degrees, meters traveled, when you need to find your way back out, do a reverse azimuth, (by aiming the compass numbers opposite of what you wrote down, (example, if you traveled north at 360 degrees, your reverse azimuth would be south 180 degrees).

My opinion, I don't care how much someone says they been in and out plenty of times, if I AM GOING WITH THEM, you can bet your behind I am NOT going to get lost or stranded!
 
If you are in Nevada Southern or AZ it is best to have some stuff if you go out in the summer.
1) Plenty of water
2) straw hat or umbrella for the sun
3) Know where you are and hunt at night til about 10 AM( when the snakes are out)
Anything else takes a lot of training and fitness. The general rule to follow is work untill 1/2 your water is gone and head back. The only problem is as the day wears on you need twice as mucj water to make it and few plan on that. Sit in the shade and only hunt 1 -2 hours(more than enough time to lose it from heat prostration) Wintertime daylight is better , only in 70's and lots of sun. City hunting is better in the summer and the Circle K for drinks is only a couple blocks away.....
 
A $100.00 GPS would have brought them back with in a couple of feet. I can not imagine hitting the mtns with out one in some places let alone the deserts.
Glad the are recovering the body's for the family's
 
TnMountains said:
A $100.00 GPS would have brought them back with in a couple of feet. I can not imagine hitting the mtns with out one in some places let alone the deserts.
Glad the are recovering the body's for the family's

Some GPS's are good but some are not accurate, they are good to a point. The Garmin is pretty accurate, bring extra batteries and learn how to operate them. For a new user you have to practice with them quite a bit to get the hang of them.

I know when my unit first got them, (of course they didn't give us the manuals on how to use them), 3 days of trying to figure them out and most of us said the heck with them and we used our compasses! Of course using a compass and a map takes way less time than it is to figure out a GPS without a manual! :-\
 
If you go into the deserts in the Summertime, one thing you HAVE to keep in mind:

DON'T RELY ON TECHNOLOGY!

That GPS is great up to about 120-130 degrees. The Superstitions easily get that hot in the Summer. After 120-130 degrees crystals won't form in the Liquid Crystal Display (LCD). Then your $100 or $1000 GPS is WORTHLESS!

I go into the mountains and deserts year round, and there are many things I prepare for differently depending on the time of year.

NO TECHNOLOGY will ever completely replace good land navigation, compass, and map reading skills (also knowing your limitations).

Best-Mike
 
When I hiked into Vermilion Cliffs National Monument I was warned by the ranger that it would be 104* in the slickrock & sandstone So I took 4 bottles of gateraid and my gps which I had set to show breadcrumb return trail. I left at 6AM and used the furnished pictures to get there. It was a course almost due South. Yes I said pictures. They give you 4 8x10 pictures marked with a line. You navigate by using the peaks. I got to the area known as the WAVES which is beautiful. Flowing rock in pink and brown tones. I learned something coming back. All canyons look the same and you use twice as much fluid in sun shine as in shade. The breadcrumb trail saved my ass because the side canyons are deceiving. I saw white spots after I ran out of gateraid but was only 100yds from the entrance. The GPS worked at 104*. The display stayed dark. Live and learn is better than dead and forgotton.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom