Luggage Tag???

asmerri

Mar 19, 2013
North Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, E-Trac
Hello all! I found some interesting things today at an 1880s homesite and could really use your help on a couple of them. The first piece has some really cool designs on the front and I'm assuming its an old luggage tag? Can any of you verify this and possibly date it??? The second is a simple metal circle with some numbers stamped on it. Ideas? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• image-74812631.jpg
    image-74812631.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 141
  • image-1814650069.jpg
    image-1814650069.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 137
  • image-3860008796.jpg
    image-3860008796.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 131

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The tag I'm thinking is a Hotel room key tag. Guaranteed postage back to the Hotel if the guest left without dropping the key at the desk on check out. They could just drop it in the mail wherever they be at any mail box and postage will be paid by the The Kentucky Louisville Hotel. The other round one looks like a coal miners brass in and out of the mine tag, but it could be for so many other thing like even a hotel room key tag. Must be the guy who lived at that house is like I in not returning keys to the motels I stay. They don't care so much these days, as they are cheap credit card type and cost nothing and can only be used for the time I stay. I keep them for shaving frost on the window of my truck on the cold mornings.

On another thought, maybe the fella that lived at that house was a burglar. He would get his hands on Hotel keys, remove the tags so he wouldn't be tied to any evidence and hit the high end Hotels guests for all their valuables and somewhere on the property of that old house he buried a large stash of loot.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
asmerri

asmerri

Mar 19, 2013
North Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, E-Trac
The tag I'm thinking is a Hotel room key tag. Guaranteed postage back to the Hotel if the guest left without dropping the key at the desk on check out. They could just drop it in the mail wherever they be at any mail box and postage will be paid by the The Kentucky Louisville Hotel. The other round one looks like a coal miners brass in and out of the mine tag, but it could be for so many other thing like even a hotel room key tag. Must be the guy who lived at that house is like I in not returning keys to the motels I stay. They don't care so much these days, as they are cheap credit card type and cost nothing and can only be used for the time I stay. I keep them for shaving frost on the window of my truck on the cold mornings.

On another thought, maybe the fella that lived at that house was a burglar. He would get his hands on Hotel keys, remove the tags so he wouldn't be tied to any evidence and hit the high end Hotels guests for all their valuables and somewhere on the property of that old house he buried a large stash of loot.

Very informative! What time period did they use things like this?

Upvote 0

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very informative! What time period did they use things like this?

I'm thinking the tags would be around the 1920s to even the early 1960s, I know I've seen key locked keys that had tags on them with the same return notice on them up to recent years. You'd get a $25.00 extra charge on your credit card untill the keys were returned. Now they just use the CC type. One clerk told me they pay 12 cents each for those type. They program these type for the time you stay at the motel and the door will not open when your time is up. The CC type can be reprogamed again and again.

Upvote 0

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't find much history of the The Kentuck Hotel, did find image of 1920s old post card. I find it odd you would find what looks to be two differnent key tags in the same place with no keys on them.

Attachments

• KentuckyH1.jpg
    KentuckyH1.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 128
Upvote 0

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This morning I thought I'd look a bit more on your key tag for more info on the Kentucky Hotel. I find nothing, but do really think your find is very unigue in the way of Louisville Ky history. I would say the detail of that key tag goes without saying the Kentucky Hotel is a very specail place for the rich and famous of the roaring twenties to stay. We know the place had at least more then 800 rooms. I would like to believe that tag could have been held in the hands of folks like Josephine Baker, Al Jolson & Louis Armstrong. Today I see the big luxurious of downtown Loisville are the Seelbach and The Brown and built around the time of The Kentucky. What a story that tag could tell if it could talk. On the other tag it looks like the number 319. But on a closer inspection the 1 is an L topped with a T. I think this is a code for room 3 at Top/Level hallway 9. I also found you can purchase an old Kentucky Hotel postcard on Amazon for 8 bucks. It sure would be a wonderful addition to your find.
Amazon.com: The Kentucky Hotel Postcard Louisville Kentucky 1930's: Everything Else
Thanks for sharing and posting a very interesting find, or so it does seems to me.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hotel wouldn't necessarily have over 800 rooms, just 8 floors. I agree, it looks like a room key fob. The other could be for a variety of things. It looks hand stamped so I think it's supposed to be 319 where the 1 was just stamped upside down.

Upvote 0

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hotel wouldn't necessarily have over 800 rooms, just 8 floors. I agree, it looks like a room key fob. The other could be for a variety of things. It looks hand stamped so I think it's supposed to be 319 where the 1 was just stamped upside down.
sure thing on the floor count. but looking looking at that post card I see at least 15 stories to the place. I wonder if that old building is still around? Or it fell to the wrecking ball? Good eye, the number one is upside down.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
asmerri

asmerri

Mar 19, 2013
North Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, E-Trac
This morning I thought I'd look a bit more on your key tag for more info on the Kentucky Hotel. I find nothing, but do really think your find is very unigue in the way of Louisville Ky history. I would say the detail of that key tag goes without saying the Kentucky Hotel is a very specail place for the rich and famous of the roaring twenties to stay. We know the place had at least more then 800 rooms. I would like to believe that tag could have been held in the hands of folks like Josephine Baker, Al Jolson & Louis Armstrong. Today I see the big luxurious of downtown Loisville are the Seelbach and The Brown and built around the time of The Kentucky. What a story that tag could tell if it could talk. On the other tag it looks like the number 319. But on a closer inspection the 1 is an L topped with a T. I think this is a code for room 3 at Top/Level hallway 9. I also found you can purchase an old Kentucky Hotel postcard on Amazon for 8 bucks. It sure would be a wonderful addition to your find.
Amazon.com: The Kentucky Hotel Postcard Louisville Kentucky 1930's: Everything Else
Thanks for sharing and posting a very interesting find, or so it does seems to me.

Tamrock, thank you very much for your research. I am fascinated by these sorts of things as well. Seems that you are a much better researcher than I am though:). I may just have to purchase one of the postcards. Would make for a cool display piece. Thanks again!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
asmerri

asmerri

Mar 19, 2013
North Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, E-Trac
Upvote 0

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are definitely the same designs. I notice that they claim to be vintage but they say they are also aluminum. Mine is definitely brass or copper. Much heavier than aluminum. I wonder why they are different. Maybe mine was just produced in a different era when they were made out of different materials?
I think this one on Lizzy? fine stuff website, was never an original key tag used at the Hotel in question. It to me looks to be lacking in detail and I believe it is a casted piece from someone who also got their hands on an original one like yours. A replication is what I would call it. I sure would like to see the back of that aluminum one. Thanks for the kind note. I have to much time on the road and looking in to history keeps my mind off of crazy thinking. I can though, get a bit carried off with grand imaginations at times I've been told by a marriage counselor many years ago and should look at getting that under control, but to hell with her, I'll keep that one part of me between you, me and the fence post. Life would be a drag without that.

Other note, I wouldn't buff or clean that tag. Old patina is what will keep the value and authenticity.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
asmerri

asmerri

Mar 19, 2013
North Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, E-Trac
I think this one on Lizzy? fine stuff website, was never an original key tag used at the Hotel in question. It to me looks to be lacking in detail and I believe it is a casted piece from someone who also got their hands on an original one like yours. A replication is what I would call it. I sure would like to see the back of that aluminum one. Thanks for the kind note. I have to much time on the road and looking in to history keeps my mind off of crazy thinking. I can though, get a bit carried off with grand imaginations at times I've been told by a marriage counselor many years ago and should look at getting that under control, but to hell with her, I'll keep that one part of me between you, me and the fence post. Life would be a drag without that.

Other note, I wouldn't buff or clean that tag. Old patina is what will keep the value and authenticity.

What are Exes and Marriage Counselors good for anyway!:). I think it's great that you submerge your mind into history. People going through life trauma often resort to harmful methods of escape. Your method is educational and productive.

Upvote 0

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are Exes and Marriage Counselors good for anyway!:). I think it's great that you submerge your mind into history. People going through life trauma often resort to harmful methods of escape. Your method is educational and productive.
Roger That....

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread