What's new

LYME DISEASE

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2008
Messages
3,465
Reaction score
2,997
Golden Thread
6
Location
CT
🥇 Banner finds
6
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
*i know this thread doesn't belong here but,thought it would get the most views and it should*

all you detectorists should be very careful.
even though i take precautions i somehow got bit and didn't even know it.
i always check myself after every hunt and usually tuck my jeans into my socks.
i saw no ticks attached at any point this year.
last week i started getting fever syptoms,stiff neck,pounding headaches and sore left elbow and forearm.
i went to dr's tuesday of last week and told him i think i may have lyme disease.he said based on my syptoms and lack of rash,and usually may june july ticks are most active he said it may be flu.
i said sir,i hate to argue with you but the ticks are active now and i insist the test.ok he said.they drew blood and sent to lab.
now i wake up sunday morning and here is this rash that appeared overnight.
just got results back now...POSITIVE FOR LYME DISEASE.
going to get antibiotics now but just want to shed some light to those who are unaware of what may be crawling up your legs or down your back,without you even knowing or even feeling these little parasites.
BE CAREFUL OUT THERE! PLEASE!
dave
 

Attachments

  • OCT 31ST HUNT WITH FRANK FUGIO 002 [].webp
    OCT 31ST HUNT WITH FRANK FUGIO 002 [].webp
    8.7 KB · Views: 829
That's a good reminder to all of us; a friend of ours was just diagnosed and he spent 8 days in the hospital.
 
Get well soon HD! The fields are a waiting, and thanks for the warning!
 
I want to wish you luck with everything, Dave. I am crossing my fingers that the antibiotics do it justice. I have to start checking myself more frequently. We have ticks on our property and I used to get them on my pants after taking the pups on a potty break. Be safe out there!

Kirk :hello:
 
Kirk PA said:
I want to wish you luck with everything, Dave. I am crossing my fingers that the antibiotics do it justice. I have to start checking myself more frequently. We have ticks on our property and I used to get them on my pants after taking the pups on a potty break. Be safe out there!

Kirk :hello:
thanks dude! we always worry about bears,snakes,falling limbs etc. it's the unseen things we need to worry about too.
 
Hope you get well very soon! Thanks for the sobering reminder!
 
Please Please Please find a doctor who is familiar with Lyme disease.............Most doctors do not know anything about Lyme or want to treat people for it, it sounds like your Dr. is one of them. Check the web for a Lyme Disease Association chapter in your area, they can help you find a Dr in your area.
You are lucky to have caught it early with proper treatment it should go away quickly.

I know because I have been dealing with Lyme for 8 years now but was not diagnosed until I had it for 2 years.
 
Get well soon dear.

I will surely take precautions ! Those little buggers are sneaky sneaky.
 
Mr. Heavy,

I've had Lyme twice.....now that you've had it you can get it again real easy. Good for you on pounding the DR. Mine put me off for months and it was bad. He said, "You have arthritis". First time I got it was years ago....then got bit ten years later and it came on quick. Good job on demanding the "test".
 
Those of you out there who have any symptoms take a lesson from Dave and tell your doctor you want a blood test ! My brother in Md. told the doctor he thought he had lyme's disease and the doctor who pooed it away for 10 more months while it was doing damage ! Demand a blood test ! He also had a relapse or reoccurance of the disease after he finished his antibiotics ! I will put you in my prayers tonight dave for a speedy and complete recovery ! MaineRelic.
 
Found this one on me back in April....this year was the worst year I have ever seen for ticks...i've pulled 4 off of myself so far this year! Luckily none have bit me yet. Get some rest, drink lots of fluids and eat lots of yogurt to help counter the antibiotics....and good luck next time you get out hunting :icon_thumright:
 

Attachments

  • TICK.webp
    TICK.webp
    19.9 KB · Views: 586
  • TICK.webp
    TICK.webp
    19.9 KB · Views: 583
I contracted Lyme this summer and doc caught it right away (key). He tested me immediately when I told him I estimated pulling 200 or so ticks off me in a two month period. Worst was the migraine which left me bedridden for two weeks. Thank God for doxy, which provided a full and speedy recovery. Incidentally, my dog and 3-year-old son contracted it prior to me -- all of us by visiting the same farm! The dog wasn't diagnosed until a year or more in and now she suffers from fits of partial paralysis. I'm actually glad she contracted it (I know that sounds awful) because it put me on high alert and I was able to get my son diagnosed when he contracted it a year later. Long story short, I'm glad you detected it early!
 
Great thread Heavymetalnut, I tend to shrug it off concerning Lime disease but I'm glad people like you keep reminding me to check myself after each hunt or even in my back yard. Thanks again and get better soon. :icon_thumright:
 
Sorry to hear you caught Lyme Disease and it is great that you detected it early, as you know that is the key to a speedy recovery. The sooner you start taking the antibiotics the better and you are doing everyone a great service reminding them of this nasty disease. I caught Lyme three times, first time no rash but severe arthritis symptoms, 2nd & 3rd time "bulls eye rash". I was treated with a 30 day prescription each time and got rid of it, followed up with blood tests. I make sure I take a very good shower when I get home from detecting/fishing/etc.

Anyway wishing you a speedy recovery and thanks for reminding me too of those nasty critters.

TommNJ
 
Good luck to ya man,you may have a long road ahead!I contracted it,and am still convinced I got it from a vaccine that the Gov. made us take,but I cant prove it and thats another story.I did live in the "hot zone".Many of my friends also contracted it with varying symptoms.There are many different strains and they are still learning about them.One is contagious,and if any body argues this I can prove it.It was discovered on The Tejon Ranch in Calif.The tick that carries the disease is a seed tick and is very hard to see.

Good luck to you!!I still havent gained my weight back!!
 
Great thread. I had a tick crawling on my jacket just yesterday. had ticks attached to me twice now in the past year and a half. Had the antibiotics each time as preventative. I hope everything is done to keep you from more of the symptoms. Everyone in the tick populated areas should be very wary and always keep an eye out for the little buggers.
Chris
 
I have been on the defense for ticks for years. My wife picks on me because I go through so much DEET. I have not had one attached to me for quite a few years. Is there any type of "shot" that you could get as a preventitive? A vaccine?


Heal up fast my friend and thanks for lookin' out for us!


VPR
 
VERMONTPACKRAT said:
I have been on the defense for ticks for years. My wife picks on me because I go through so much DEET. I have not had one attached to me for quite a few years. Is there any type of "shot" that you could get as a preventitive? A vaccine?


Heal up fast my friend and thanks for lookin' out for us!


VPR

You might want to read my above post....concerning the vaccine!
 
Am I a tick magnet or is my farm host to the largest tick nest in the country? I'm marveling at those of you who have only had 3 or 4 in over a year. 200 for me in two months is conservative. I drenched myself in deet and still averaged 7 - 10 a day this summer. Maybe it's because I'm in Virginia? Big tick state or something?? I'm jealous. ???
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom