What's new

What do you all do to keep ticks at bay?

sibbley

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2023
Messages
1,515
Reaction score
5,136
Golden Thread
0
Location
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master, XP Deus 2, Deeptech Vista X, Nokta Makro Invenio Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found a tick on my stomach last Saturday. I must not have had my shirt tucked in my pants. I usually do as well as my pant legs tucked into my muck boots, long sleeves with the sleeve end tucked into my gloves. Haven't had a tick for a few years.

We got the tick out and that's when all hells broke loose. I developed a rash that got worse all week. Finally got into the doctor yesterday. Doctor thinks the infection is from the bandage adhesive, not the tick. I had put a bandage over the bite since my shirt was rubbing over it and making the rash worse. So now I'm being treated for the rash, the infection, and lyme. The medication has turned me into a creature of the night, lol. Have to stay out of the sun as the meds make sunburn a real threat.

Just made me wonder, what do you all do to keep ticks from the opportunity to bite?
 
Keep your dogs close,, they'll attract them all so leaving you alone. :hello2::hello2:
gotta get some use out of them...:love10:
On that note, maybe I should make friends with the possum that hangs at our house. They love to eat ticks. Just take him along to the all he can eat buffet.
 
Sawyers brand permethrin spray. You spray your clothes and let it dry before you wear them. Lasts 6 weeks. It’s krypronite to ticks. Also works for chiggers. I only treat my pants. I spray bug spray around my ankles. It works very well in my opinion. I’m going to spray my pants shortly, thanks for the reminder!👍🏻
IMG_3197.webp
 
I use the Permethrin on my clothes and Picardin or Deet on exposed skin. Also, I never kill the rattlesnakes as they eat the mice that are the primary carrier of the ticks. The ticks are a much bigger threat to our health than the snakes!
 
Many "professional" hikers/guides/outdoor people sent their clothes off to "Insect Shield" to be treated, everyone claims it last 5 times or more longer than at home treatment of clothes with permethrin spray.

They also sell outdoor clothes already treated.

They also sell permethrin spray if you would rather do it yourself, but doesn't last as long.

 
dimethylcyclopropanecarboxylate

Do your homework... It works because it is neurotoxic,, Brain and nerve damage. Banned over here (in most cases) due to it's links to cancers and being a mutagenic (messes with fertility), U.S. studies over the years have been generally inconclusive (power of lobby) , possibly dangerous...
And you want that on your clothes, touching your skin, reacting with your sweat, getting into your food and water and breathing in the fumes ? .
the rest of the list of toxic ingredients in those products is astounding... unbelievable.
Nature always provides the better way.
 
years ago I got Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever from a tick. It was one of the worst illnesses of my life. The quack doctor at the local emergency room at the time just dismissed the possibility of it being tick fever at the time and I continued to get worse and nearly on the verge of death. I ended up going to another hospital in another county where they actually tested and confirmed that was what I had. I spent 4 days in the hospital with all kinds of IV's of medicine and fluids running into me.
So, what do I do to keep them off of me? Pretty simple actually. I just simply refuse to go into high grass or weeds or brushy areas, period. I don't ever want to go through that again.
 
dimethylcyclopropanecarboxylate

Do your homework... It works because it is neurotoxic,, Brain and nerve damage. Banned over here (in most cases) due to it's links to cancers and being a mutagenic (messes with fertility), U.S. studies over the years have been generally inconclusive (power of lobby) , possibly dangerous...
And you want that on your clothes, touching your skin, reacting with your sweat, getting into your food and water and breathing in the fumes ? .
the rest of the list of toxic ingredients in those products is astounding... unbelievable.
Nature always provides the better way.
Don't worry, Americans love poison. We spray pesticides/herbicides on all our food then eat it. We kill the beneficial insects along with the bad ones. We kill all the beneficial things in the soil then use petroleum based fertilizer so shit will grow. We are an advanced society. We believe in science. It all causes cancer, then we complain about cancer.
 
Found a tick on my stomach last Saturday. I must not have had my shirt tucked in my pants. I usually do as well as my pant legs tucked into my muck boots, long sleeves with the sleeve end tucked into my gloves. Haven't had a tick for a few years.

We got the tick out and that's when all hells broke loose. I developed a rash that got worse all week. Finally got into the doctor yesterday. Doctor thinks the infection is from the bandage adhesive, not the tick. I had put a bandage over the bite since my shirt was rubbing over it and making the rash worse. So now I'm being treated for the rash, the infection, and lyme. The medication has turned me into a creature of the night, lol. Have to stay out of the sun as the meds make sunburn a real threat.

Just made me wonder, what do you all do to keep ticks from the opportunity to bite?
If you are really walking, digging or just physically busy and sweating in the wrong area, outside, the thicks will get to your skin tissue, whether clothes are tucked in or not. Main factor is how long- how many minutes- you stay where the grass is old, yellowish and twisted or dense and there are shrubs too there... Before you run away from such environment
And most average Spray repellent are good for 1 hour, 1 hour and a half maybe. Not 4 hours or more! That's just advertisement..
 
Another vote for permethrin. I use Sawyer brand in the pump bottles, (good for six weeks/six washings)and keep a set of pants treated with it in the basement (away from our cats - just in case) for detecting and gardening.
 
Permethrin.
A pump bottle awaits.
Which I forget to prep some field cloths with often...
Then use the Deep woods Off riding in the truck door on my foot instead. IF I remember.
Till an encounter reminder.
 
We ordered up a collar for the dog and a wrist band for myself.
The dog has had 4 ticks already attached and one seed one fell onto the floor from brushing.
We spray only essential oil sprays, and that seems to help a bit.
The dog is wearing a electronic tick thing, and we haven't seen one on him since putting it on the collar.
I had 40-50 on me last year, many attached, pick off, crush, throw the live one in 98% rubbing alcohol and say "Die sucker"
I probably kill a hundred just crawling around a season.
Getting to be a curse on us all it seems.
 
I detect with my buddy who is a tick MAGNET! He seems to get one every other time we go out. I haven't had a tick in 20 years. But I do wear under armor style clothing under my clothes with socks tucked in. I walk through some nasty brush sometimes. Suprised they don't get in my hair.
 
I detect with my buddy who is a tick MAGNET! He seems to get one every other time we go out. I haven't had a tick in 20 years. But I do wear under armor style clothing under my clothes with socks tucked in. I walk through some nasty brush sometimes. Suprised they don't get in my hair.
They know in your hair they have not much business because the head skin doesn't let easy blood access like the rest of the body does
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom