Made a small recirculating miller table

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
So lately I been wanting some kind of cleanup machine to pickup the small gold I know I been missing with panning when doing my cleanups at home. I was looking through a bunch of designs on here and on the internet and I figured I would try a recirculating slate miller table because it seemed really easy and cost effective (ie cheap to build!). Plus its very portable if I want to set it up somewhere outdoors, its runs off any 12 battery.

I got the 800 pump from wal mart, its one of those cartridge deals, it was around 25 dollars (Thanks SCBuzz for the idea). The tubing came from lowes for a couple bucks. I used pvc pipe with a manual valve to adjust the water flow and that was like 6 dollars for tubing + valve. The wood was some scrap I had laying around the house. The slate board for the base came from hobby lobby. I think it was 4 dollars.

I built it yesterday and then today tried it out on 2 pans worth of cons from Friday's gold. Stuff I had already panned really carefully and got out all the visible gold that I seen.

Here is some pics of it. Its nothing super fancy to look at, but boy does it work. It caught gold so fine you cant see it in the picture, and it got more then I thought it would for just 2 pans worth of already panned cons. I have so many cons still to go through that its gonna take me awhile, but at least it gives me something to do when I cant get out in the field.

I have it setup next to my mustang to use the car battery for a test, till I get a small boat battery to use instead. I also installed a 5 amp fuse just in case.

Here's the cleanup, there's some specs in there so small you cant see them in the picture!

Upvote 0

SCBUZZ

Mar 27, 2010
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ALL JET DRY IS IS A WATER SOFFENER. A DRYER SHEET MIGHT WORK HAVN'T TRYED THO.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Ganimead said:
I have built a Miller Table, but I have a problem. Could anyone advise me of an alternative or a homemade substitution of Jet Dry? as I am unable to obtain Jet Dry anywhere here in the Philippines. I have tried normal washing liquid, but this generates a lot of bubbles :_) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as I am new to all of this.

Many thanks in advance
Ganimead i sent you a PM with a possible solution for you.

stilllookin

Apr 3, 2010
Vermont
I realize this is an older post But my interest in building a miller table has been spurred. I have noticed all types of material is used for the bed from chalkboard paint on plywood to glass. Is the reason for using materials other than slate because the slate is harder to come by or is it the feeling these other products do a better job? The reason I ask is I am going to buy a chalkboard and now I'm second guessing myself after reading the forums on diy Miller Table projects. Anyone?

stilllookin

Apr 3, 2010
Vermont
Thanks russau
I feel better it wasn't a complete waste of time. After all was said and done I salvaged a pc of slate 11" x 25" from a blackboard which was 1/4" thick. The person I got the slate from has 2 or 3 - 4' x 8' sheets so I can go back and get more if I feel a need to. My biggest expense was the gasoline it took me to go to his house (about 4 gals.) I have the slate cut and a pc of luan for backing cut but have to go for the waterproof adhesive to put them together. Thanks again Wayne

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
good score! i found that if anyone needed to cut the slate into sizes that they prefer, you need to use a wetsaw to keep from chipping the slate. i used a abrasive saw blade dry and it chipped the edges of mine untill i realized what i was doing wrong.

stilllookin

Apr 3, 2010
Vermont
good score! i found that if anyone needed to cut the slate into sizes that they prefer, you need to use a wetsaw to keep from chipping the slate. i used a abrasive saw blade dry and it chipped the edges of mine untill i realized what i was doing wrong.

I should have known. I was hoping with a good score with box cutter I could control the amount of chipping, you can't. A friend has a wet saw he offered but he's 2 hours away and wasn't going to be around here for another month. the chipping is minimal so I'm hoping the seal around the frame will fill the chipping when I smooth the bead along the edge. Maybe next time I'll be a little more patient, But wanted the table yesterday.

OP
OP
Astrobouncer

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Check out BryanProspector's Miller table. I asked him and he said I could post this video of it here. Miller table first appears around 1:25 or so in the video.

If you guys add some more we can keep this thread alive and helping people.

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Astrobouncer,
I see this message on the first page of this thread:

403 Forbidden
This file removed due to violation of ImageShack Terms of Service or by user request.

As I viewed this thread lately may be I missed some photos. So any chance on Re-uploading those lost pictures?

Thanks

Gelmac

OP
OP
Astrobouncer

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Hey Gelmac, sorry image shack deleted those pictures awhile back before I upgraded to the paid membership I have now. It was just a very small piece of slate with some wood sides and a spraybar setup. But now there is much better pictures and videos of others tables in this thread so no worries you didnt miss anything.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have built a Miller Table, but I have a problem. Could anyone advise me of an alternative or a homemade substitution of Jet Dry? as I am unable to obtain Jet Dry anywhere here in the Philippines. I have tried normal washing liquid, but this generates a lot of bubbles :_) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as I am new to all of this.

Many thanks in advance
Jet dry is the same thing that automatic diswashers use to keep dishes from getting streaks. TTC

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Astro, yes there are many unit builds by other members. I was just curious.

As for the table building material , I have a chalkboard made of plastic (I think). I 've got it in favor of helping my nephew in Computer classes , :) The only thing bothers me is it's color which is bright white .

Does that affect the operation of the table much? as I see most of miller tables builders prefer Green for the table board surface. Can my table be painted ? The material has smooth surface and you can write on it using (Whiteboard Marker), the kind of felt tip pens.

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value=" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Skip
These guys are just a few miles from me, and I have been seriously considering buying one, but I have to say that after looking at his thread, I would like to just build my own.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have built one using the green Hobby mat. It works pretty well, but I need an autofeeder. I am getting too old to stand over the Miller Table spoon the cons onto it. Russ, you never did post a picture of yours, did you? If so, please let me know where that picture is. Thanks.

Last edited:

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have built one using the green Hobby mat. It works pretty well, but I need an autofeeder. I am getting too old to stand over the Miller Table spoon the cons onto it. Russ, you never did post a picture of yours, did you? If so, please let me know where that picture is. Thanks.
I can't imagine it being complicated

Pirate Vern

Greenie
Apr 29, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am going to start my design tomorrow thinking of using one of those mirrors that hang on a door (Cheap at Walmart) as the surface and spraying it with chalkboard paint.. Thoughts??

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am going to start my design tomorrow thinking of using one of those mirrors that hang on a door (Cheap at Walmart) as the surface and spraying it with chalkboard paint.. Thoughts??

My copy of the Black Magic unit as seen above, but I will call it a Rubber Mat Miller Table. I added a vial to the bottom to sweep the gold into the vial, no snuffer bottle needed. Watch the video. I would think about using the product I used and it can be purchased at Walmart. Look in my signature below and click on Build You Own Miller Table. The video below was just for testing and the water flow rate is way to fast for micro gold to be recovered but I have other videos of this mat catching very fine gold.

T248.jpg T250.jpg T258.jpg T260.jpg

Last edited:

Pirate Vern

Greenie
Apr 29, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok Have a pretty good idea of what I am going to build the table out of.... Now comes the part that will totally stump me... Recirculating/water pump.. I do not have any intentions of running this in the field... will probably be a permanent garage fixture.. So was wondering if anyone had any ideas for an inexpensive pump that is AC 110. not the 12V battery type..and about what GPH are people using? Any and all help is Greatly Appreciated!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread