Major ACE 250 issues

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
So I went from a bounty hunter quick silver, to a garrett ace 250.

I am now considering going back to the bounty hunter, because the ACE 250 seems to be worthless to me. Almost every single hole I dig is a false signal. It'll go beep beep.....beep..........beep beep beep. Which is a strong signal, but after you dig the depth shown, and rescan the hole and the dirt you took out, it will never beep again.

I wasn't near powerlines, I was out in a field. Out of 10 holes I dug 2 nails. When the BH detects a false signal such as a large rock it will beep nothing but Coins. But I have no idea how to tell a false signal on the ACE 250. I have the sensivity on max.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First thing, turn the Sens down to 4 bars...leaving 2 bars showing unmarked. When you turn the sens up all the way, it causes those falsing signals you are getting. Give that a shot and see how it works out for you. GL and I think after you get used to the ACE you will love it.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree, sensitivity way too high! Turn it down and go back to the places you went coin shooting with the BH. You will be amazed at the number of coins you missed! I did the same thing when I went from BH to ACE 250. My ACE is probably the best coin shooter down to about six inches I have ever used. To go deeper you will have to go with all metal and dig everything. I have hit a silver dime at 9" once, repeat once, but that was a fluke I think? Monty

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Try setting the 250 to either the relic or jewelery mode and start with the sensitivity on 4 to 6 bars (there should be 8 bars total). Don't go to fast or to slow with your swing. Give yourself about 20 hours of actual detecting time on these settings. You will start to recognize your tones and understand the readout a little better. The LED will jump around a lot on a trashy signal, like between penny/dime and foil. On a coin you will get a solid repeatable tone and LED id. But you will also get this on bottle caps and other solid objects. Put some different coins, rings, keys etc... on bare ground and see how high the coil is when it will pick up the targets. Changing the sensitivity will increase or decrease the depth.
I had to dig a lot of nails and other junk before I got to where I would decide dig or not to dig. If you stick with it and put in the time to learn it you WILL love it. Here is a link to my post with everything I dug from the time I got mine in March of '08 'til August '08.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,172914.msg1260522.html#msg1260522

Take a look at the pics of evey little thing I dug, But after all that digging I can pretty much guess what is in the ground before I dig it. Give yourself a chance to get good with it before you get rid of it. HH Charlie

Mar 3, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70 , Ace 250
I agree set your sensitivity down , I have put away my Xterra 70 for the winter , And I keep my Ace 250 in the trunk of my car , always as a backup , I went to visit family in Virgina for the holidays , So I decided to check out a hunted out home stead , I went by some Bush ,where there was a big tree , and other places where individuals may have missed and these are my finds , not bad of a mini vacations , 12-23-08 .
The pinpoint is terrible on the Ace 250 , so I used my Bounty hunter pinpoint probe , all targets where in the silver range , and I only dug targets with the strong Famous Ace 250 Bell tone , Will go back with my Mine lab for Easter , and will go over the areas with week signals , and see what happens .

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 922
  • 3c.jpg
    3c.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 910
  • 3b.jpg
    3b.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 911
  • 2b.jpg
    2b.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 911
  • 2a.jpg
    2a.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 917
  • 1d.jpg
    1d.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 920
  • 1c.jpg
    1c.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 928
  • 3c.jpg
    3c.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 901
  • 3b.jpg
    3b.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 916
  • 2b.jpg
    2b.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 905
  • 2a.jpg
    2a.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 901
  • 1d.jpg
    1d.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 926
  • 1c.jpg
    1c.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 923
  • 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 927

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Ditto on the sensitivity. Start out at 4 bars and coin mode. Then you can graduate to jewelry then relic then all metal mode.

With any detector that starts to false - reduce the sensitivity.

Tip---
If your in coin mode and open a hole only to find your detector won't beep on the target. By disturbing the ground and/or target you just threw it into a rejected notch zone. This is common. Simply set your 250 in the all metal mode to re find your target. Corroded 22 casings will fall from a solid nickel to foil a lot of the times in my soil.

OP
OP
relichunters

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Hmm ok next time I will turn it down and see what happens. So 8" or 9" is the max with like 6 bars? The BH has detected a 1940 belt buckle at 14" on medium depth. So I would hope the ACE 250 could match that.

I agree the pinpoint does suck. That's the whole reason I bought it was for that.

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
The 250 is sensitive. Medium on your BH is not the same as medium on the 250. I find the pinpointing to be very accurate. Plus the PP mode will give you a slight hint if you have a nickel or tab under the coil. Watch my pinpointing video on the 250. Really if you detune your target it will pinpoint dead center as well as just behing the inner coil. Also not shown in my vid is different ways to detune. Here is maybe an easier way. Pinpoint the best you can. Then with the coil centered over the target raise your coil about 1.5 inches above the ground. Make sure your still over your target. Then release and repush the PP button holding the coil steady. Your PP tone should be silent. Then while still holding the PP in lower your coil. Your tone then comes back but the target response in much smaller. Still keeping the PP button pushed X your target. It will be right where your little half moon cut out is at the center of the coil.

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Did you watch the video? Detuning simply shrinks the target response. Which in turn makes it easier to pinpoint. You can detune targets on most every other detector too.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Wow!it's very unusual to get such a negative response on the ACE 250. I gather, as you may have noticed from the replies that the ACE is packed with a lot of power....so much that you can't runt it at full speed (full sensitivity). Cut it back some and let us know how you made out. And welcome to the Garrett Forum. Please post your finds. If you have any other questions.....just ask!

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
I agree that sensitivity at full is overkill. Good luck with your Ace, don't give up! It's great, I still have mine after buying other, more expensive detectors, because of how good it is.

Joe

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker
ACE 250 IS A GREAT COIN FINDER.I HAVE TWO OTHER GARRETT DETECTORS AND THE ACE WILL FIND IT FASTER. BEST OF LUCK.

OP
OP
relichunters

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
I did watch the video, but the term "detune" was unknown to me.

I played with it today on 4 sens. and did decent, but I did the best at 5 Sens. on Jewellery Mode.
Haven't learned how to correctly pinpoint yet, but I will play with it tomorrow some more and see what I can learn. I know I was negative at first about it, but now I am learning how it works.

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
I would still start out in the coin mode. Hunt that way for 50 hours. Then you can reduce your disc and rehunt all your old places again.

F

Felinepeachy

WOW, this sounds so familiar to me. When I first started using the Ace I HATED it. But then one day, things started clicking and I started to love it. Don't forget, when it comes to depth there are some things that can affect how deep the machine will detect or how accurately IE: soil conditions, mineralization, moisture etc. Something that I found very useful in the beginning was to use the "Custom" mode. After using the Ace for almost a year I bought an MXT and HATED it too at first LOL. I have a feeling that every detector sucks at first until the user gets the hang of it. Here are some pics of the Custom Mode.

Attachments

• Pic3.jpg
    Pic3.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 787
  • Pic2.jpg
    Pic2.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 785
  • Pic1.jpg
    Pic1.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 790
  • Pic1.jpg
    Pic1.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 782
  • Pic2.jpg
    Pic2.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 787
  • Pic3.jpg
    Pic3.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 787

Dr. Ace

Nov 4, 2007
South-Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Ace 250
Felinepeachy,

I like to go quarter shooting if I'm in a place that only has newer coins, and I don't have a lot of time. You can pick up a lot of quarters in a hurry by notching out everything else. If I'm doing that, I usually run my sensitivity up around 6 or 7. If you get a hit that way, you can be just about 99% sure you're going to be digging a quarter! :D

HH,

Dr. Ace

OP
OP
relichunters

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
When I elim. Iron and foil it would still pick them up on a 4 Sens. setting. But yeah I guess I just need to play with it for a solid week to learn.

Feline thanks for selling your ACE 250 to Jay, he needed a new detector badly. I am going out detecting with him today :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread