What's new

Makers mark ID

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
12,783
Reaction score
143
Golden Thread
0
Location
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nothing fabulous. Just a cool makers mark.(or name) Any ideas?
 

Attachments

  • DSC00034.webp
    DSC00034.webp
    83.2 KB · Views: 579
  • DSC00035.webp
    DSC00035.webp
    95.9 KB · Views: 540
  • DSC00036.webp
    DSC00036.webp
    15.1 KB · Views: 802
Not a "Maker's Mark." A Maker's Mark is a "Mark" that can be traced back to the individual maker. It is usually a symbol or a letter (or so) that is registered with the governing body so that it can only be used by that person. Sort of like the "Circle C" mark that means Copyright.

Not a Trademark either. That's a mark used to identify a company or something that can only be used by one person or company. Try putting five interlocking, multi-colored rings, on your business card. You'll have lawyers crawling all over you.

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
Looks like William Pontifex. Google his name we may have a mystery. 8)
 
Upvote 0
This seems to be a reasonable assumption:

Name William M. PONTIFEX
Spouses: 1 Cora M. WILKENSON
Marriage 8 Sep 1887, Dupage, Illinois
Notes for William M. PONTIFEX
There is a William M. Pontifex listed in the LaPorte County, Indiana Directory for 1896. William is a trainer.

He is one of the few that moved to the US.

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
Tried that. Can't make sense of what it means.

hofla - Middle Eastern music and dance party

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
Its a clue to the disappearance of Jimmy Hoffa. :wink:
 
Upvote 0
Changed his name to Hafla and has been living in Miami ever since. Geez.

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
Im sure the googlers here can come up with something better. Everyone must be off line. Here is a tidbit I just noticed about a copper plate maker:


STIPPLE would also show that Messrs. Jones and Pontifex, copper plate makers, traded at 47 Shoe Lane from 1788 to about 1793 and that the Pontifex was William Pontifex from Iver in Buckinghamhire, who was apprenticed to Richard Jones, and whose son, also Richard, was in turn apprenticed to William Pontifex as his own father had died
 
Upvote 0
I looked at that. I have used quite a bit of copper plate in my time and having it stamped on one side would not make me very happy.

Is this piece copper? Doesn't seem to have the right patina for copper if any significant age.

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
I thought it was copper or brass. I think this is solvable. Keep in mind it was found in NC. Can we see a pic of the side and confirm the metal type 4H?

http://bookhistory.blogspot.com/2007/01/london-1775-1800-p-q.html

PONTIFEX, William, copperplate maker and coppersmith, 46 and 47, Shoe Lane 1794B1805P. Previously Jones and Pontifex, later in various partnerships in Shoe Lane to 1838P+.
 
Upvote 0
Is it copper plate? If it is I think its part of a late 1700's William Pontifex printing plate. I cant fit the other word. 'HOFLA, HOELA, HORLA. :dontknow: Anything on the back? Go back and find the rest.

http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/search_the_collection_database/search_object_details.aspx?objectid=1542662&partid=1&output=Terms%2F!!%2FOR%2F!!%2F20892%2F!%2F%2F!%2Fprinting-matrix%2F!%2F%2F!!%2F%2F!!!%2F&orig=%2Fresearch%2Fsearch_the_collection_database%2Fadvanced_search.aspx&currentPage=17&numpages=10

Pontifex (British)

Biography
Family company of braziers, and manufacturers of copperplates. Willliam Pontifex came from Iver in Buckinghamshire and was apprenticed to Richard Jones; Messrs Jones and Pontifex traded at 47 Shoe Lane from 1788-1793. William's son, Richard carried on the business to1838. According to the stamp on the back of a plate by Geddes, L (?) Pontifex and Co. traded at 2 Lisle Street, Soho.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Attachments

  • copper printing plate.webp
    copper printing plate.webp
    31.3 KB · Views: 1,756
  • copper plate printing.gif
    copper plate printing.gif
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,014
Upvote 0
BioProfessor said:
I looked at that. I have used quite a bit of copper plate in my time and having it stamped on one side would not make me very happy.

Is this piece copper? Doesn't seem to have the right patina for copper if any significant age.

Daryl

Most of the copper plates made in the 18th and 19th centuries had a stamp or mark on the underside of them in the center.


:icon_scratch:


And many, Many items from the Birmingham area made it across the pond in the late 1700s/early 1800s. Birmingham was a hotspot for Quality metal work in pewter, silver, copper, and tin. Just look at the sheer numbers of utensils marked "John Yates" that have been dug stateside. I don't think this is a stretch at all. What we need to find is a close-up of his mark. For the record, the mark on this item seems a little crude when compared with other marked pieces from the time frame in question. Of course, it is copper (presumably) and not silver.


4-H, could you swipe it under your machine and tell us whether it is copper or brass?
 
Upvote 0
Old copper plate having a stamp on each piece seems likely.

How about the size. This piece is small. Same ratio of stamp size to plate as the one pictured?

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
I don't believe the composition to be copper. Nor is it pliable. I tried to bend it with my fingers. The last word gets me. I looked at it under a loupe and can't make it out. It almost looks like hof lau
 

Attachments

  • DSC00037.webp
    DSC00037.webp
    71.7 KB · Views: 318
  • DSC00038.webp
    DSC00038.webp
    100.8 KB · Views: 319
  • DSC00039.webp
    DSC00039.webp
    25.5 KB · Views: 313
Upvote 0
I see the "U" now. May be a clue.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
4-H said:
The last word gets me. I looked at it under a loupe and can't make it out. It almost looks like hof lau
LOL I got it! It was right there in front of us all the time. ;D

Its the address. SHOE LANE


Jones and Pontifex, copper plate makers, traded at 47 Shoe Lane from 1788 to about 1793 and that the Pontifex was William Pontifex from Iver in Buckinghamhire


Do I get a beany button? :hello2:
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom