Market For Circulated Proofs.......

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is something I have been thinking about for a while now. I have been keeping all that I find during CRH'ing knowing that wasn't a real market for these impaired proofs But didn't want to turn them back into the wild.

About two weeks ago I figured I would run this by the owner of the local coin dealer on my next trip there to buy the half dollar protectors. I wanted to do this in person and not over the phone because I thought my chances would be better this way. It worked out just like I planned and hoped it would.

I went in today to get the protectors and just started browsing around the store making small talk with the employees until I got the owner one on one. Our conversation moved into his office when I asked him if he had a market for circulated proofs knowing what his answer would be.....no.

After a little more conversing on this subject I mentioned the possibility of him selling them from his "bargain bin". I saw his expression change on his face and knew right then my plan had a chance. I told him they were like old lettuce....nobody wanted it but you could feed it to a rabbit....lol.

He asked me how many I had and where I got them from which I replied I got them from a bank (which I did) and had about 40-50. He said someone must have broken sets up which I agreed. He told me he would give me $1 for each proof without even seeing them. He then explained he would check the gray/grey sheet for each & mark them down to half price and put them in the bargain bin.

We both agreed these impaired proofs were not for the serious coin collector and would probably be purchased by the younger cost conscious group.

I was happy when I walked out knowing I will make 100% profit on each proof which isn't alot of money but at least I can move them and make a profit.

I just wanted to share this because this is something we have discussed a few times previously. You might want to check with your local coin dealer. Good luck.

Upvote 0

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a good idea, but my local coin store does not have a bargain bin. They do have a bid board where any one can come in and try to sell their coins, might work there.

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
I may be interested in buying Circulated proofs.
I am a spare time coin dealer, online. Always looking for coins to buy.

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
I have about 25-30 circulated clad proofs I would be glad to sell for $1 each! I just got three today 72, 90, 94 and I'm thinking what am I going to do with these, as I hate to put them back into circulation.

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
at1cad said:
I have about 25-30 circulated clad proofs I would be glad to sell for $1 each! I just got three today 72, 90, 94 and I'm thinking what am I going to do with these, as I hate to put them back into circulation.

Could you post a picture of the coins? I think I would be interested in them.
I could can run an auction on ebay for some of them or all and see just what people are willing to pay for them.
Sounds like people want to know there value.....

Riverdog

Jun 13, 2007
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID
Way to go LJ, good plan, I just decided to start filling whitman folders because I was seeing too many nice nice coins and hated putting them back in the race.
RD

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Nicely done there LJ.

Whether there is now, or not, I'm convinced there will be a market for circulated CuNi proof halves. For the moderate collector, they represent a chance to get a coin they would not otherwise be able to get without buying an entire proof set.

Besides, their low mintages (less than 4M usually) make them very scarce; relative to any other (non-proof) half dollar.

I'm sitting on 100 of them right now, and have no (immediate) plans to move them.

Of course, the post '91 90%ers are a different animal altogether; and have a value all to themselves.

Again, good job of marketing there ("old lettuce......rabbit") :D

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great idea there LJ. Bottom line is there is always a market for special coins, no matter the condition. I've heard of people who collect holed coins, culls, dateless buffalos and other stuff most collectors won't touch. A follow-up visit in a few weeks might not be a bad idea LJ, just to see how they're selling.

kickstart

Mar 7, 2007
Ga.
Yeah, I'm sitting on almost 90 proofs right now. Most
are such beautiful coins I would never release them back
into circulation. Now I have kept 100 '02-'06 clads just
for the heck of it. I have found so many of them I couldn't
see keeping them and returned more than 200 back into
circulation.......I hope it doesn't turn around and bite me in
the a** for doing that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread