Marquesas Key - where the Spanish salvaged the Margarita & looked for the Atocha

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Attachments

• marquesas.kml
    959 bytes · Views: 886

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Re: Marquesas Key - where the Spanish salvaged the Margarita & looked for the Atocha

Someone may allready be searching the area, theres a boat in there. I tried to mark it but not sure if it took, look for the martini glass

kenb

OP
OP
Marc

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Re: Marquesas Key - where the Spanish salvaged the Margarita & looked for the Atocha

I actually got a big, deep reading on the island - if anyone wants to go on a dig, let me know! ;)

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

diving doc said:
Marc said:
I actually got a big, deep reading on the island - if anyone wants to go on a dig, let me know! ;)

The crew off the jackboat the Polly L were trying to do exactly that when apprehended and jailed about 18 months ago.. I wouldn't suggest going on that island. It is patrolled and overflown regularly.
Doc
:) Yup,it's part of the Key West National Wildlife Refuge.Course they dug a 170 foot long path through the mangroves,which they lined with boards to facilitate the transportation of heavy equipment through the "swamp" cutting dozens of red mangrove roots in the process.Then they dredged the substrate and created a 970 sq.ft. pool,4 ft.deep.They deserved what they got.

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here's the story if anyone is interested,

Trez

Treasure Hunting in the Marquesas Keys

On December 2, 2004, two subjects pled guilty and were sentenced before U.S. District Court Judge King in Miami, FL. The individuals were charged with trespassing, disturbing and destroying plants (mangroves), searching for buried treasure, and constructing and installing structures on a National Wildlife Refuge, all in violation of Title 16, USC, Section 668dd(f)(1) and Title 18, USC, Section 2.

They were each ordered to pay a fine of $3,150.00. They were also required to pay restitution in the total amount of $11,974.47. The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission received $6,961.09 and the Key Deer national Wildlife Refuge received $5,013.38 from the restitution amounts paid by the subjects. Both agencies were instrumental in obtaining the necessary evidence required to obtain a successful prosecution. Federal prosecution was initiated by the Division of Law Enforcement in Miami, FL.

The incidents took place in December 2003 in the Marquesas Keys located within the Key West National Wildlife Refuge in Monroe County, FL. The Marquesas Keys are part of the National Key Deer Refuge. One of the subjects had been hired by the Amelia Research and Recovery to captain their boat the Polly L, a large lift boat that had proper permits to recover treasure from the wreck of the Spanish galleon Santa Margarita.

The Polly L had been hired by the Mel Fisher family to continue salvage work on the Margarita site. The two subjects had information they had obtained concerning buried treasure located on the Marquesas Key. According to legends, this area was once used as a campsite by early salvagers trying to recover the treasure of the Margarita, the sister ship of the famous galleon Nuestra Senora de Atocha. The individuals also had information that in 1623 or 1624 the Spaniards had stolen $20 million from a salvage effort and buried it on the Marquesas Key.

On or about December 16, 2003, the subjects loaded a skiff headed for the Marquesas Key with dive gear, water pumps, hoses, suction lines, buckets and loot bags to search for buried treasure. While on an island, which was a closed area of the Key West National Wildlife Refuge, the defendants dug a 170' long path through the mangroves, which they lined with boards to facilitate the transport of heavy equipment. They cut dozens of red mangrove roots to create the path. They then dredged the substrate and created a 969 square foot pool about 4' deep. The law enforcement vessel "Point Monroe" responded to a complaint and intercepted the subjects.

The Point Monroe is an 82' vessel that is owned by the National Oceanographic Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and crewed by law enforcement personnel from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. The law enforcement personnel aboard the vessel are crossed deputized with the Department of the Interior, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, to enforce the regulations pertaining to the wildlife refuges that lie within the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary. An investigation was initiated and statements of evidence obtained by the officers. Without the dedication and assistance from these officers, a successful federal prosecution could not have been accomplished.

OP
OP
Marc

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Wow.

I guess I'll keep my mouth shut and consider myself lucky! Thanks for the heads up!

;)

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

I go down there several times a year, and one time about 10 years ago, I found where someone had dug a big pit and lined it with boards. It went below the water line, but it was several feet deeper than that. I dont know if anything was found. I have never used a metal detector there though. Makes sense that there would be something. It would be hard to use a big coil type detector(4 foot wide type)in the thick branches and roots though. Steve.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions