Ancient village?

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I LOVE Google Earth!

I was browsing around a known, 3-4000 year old fortification NW of London, and found what appears to be the remains of an ancient settlement...

site.kml is the 3-4000 year old fortification NW of London
site2.kml is a farmfield that seems to have remnants of an old village
amphitheater.kml is an area that to me anyway, looks like an (unknown!) ancient amphitheater of some sort!

You will need Google Earth to view the attached files.

Here's more info.

Enjoy!

Thanks,
Marc Austin

p.s., I've also attached a couple images in case, for some reason, you don't have Google Earth.

Attachments

• site.kml
    684 bytes · Views: 338
  • site2.kml
    881 bytes · Views: 303
  • site.kml
    684 bytes · Views: 350
  • amphitheater.kml
    914 bytes · Views: 275
  • amphitheater.jpg
    amphitheater.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 4,836
  • remnants.jpg
    remnants.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 4,777

Heavy Chevy

Jun 18, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and others
Re: Old village?

double barrel said:
looks like a crater.

A perfectly 4 sided crater ??

There is an old saying about straight lines not occurring in nature......

Mike in SC

KGCnewbieseeker

Oct 29, 2005
FL

and not to further burst bubbles but the lines in the feild are tracks from whatever plowed or cultivated the field. see at the bottom the line that runs north east? you can see more details at the bottom of the pic. they are wheel lines. goood try though!

as far as the theater? my guess is crater or remains of something that maybe was mined? i dont know about enghish history but they may have dug stone for building in the area? ???

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

I'm not so sure about those being tracks from a plow. I can see plow tracks, many of them go right across the square areas and don't really look the same. I'm a big Google Earth fan too, I say hunt the areas. I found an old farmhouse in the middle of nowhere with it, when I got there, it had a cellar pit and a well too!

Jason

IrishCharlieM

Oct 20, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA

Google Earth is the Man....No Offense women....LOL

I found records and scetches of an old major farming road that lead from the outer farms to the main farmers market and harbor, here in Norfolk. I Google Earthed it and low and behold the outline of where the road ran 100 years ago still exists. Minus a few large developed gaps, where they built housing tracks and strip malls. But the large and very old tree's still show where the road once ran....Sorry still hot in the hunt and not to quick to give the location.

OP
OP
Marc

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

KGCnewbieseeker said:
and not to further burst bubbles but the lines in the feild are tracks from whatever plowed or cultivated the field. see at the bottom the line that runs north east? you can see more details at the bottom of the pic. they are wheel lines. goood try though!

as far as the theater? my guess is crater or remains of something that maybe was mined? i dont know about enghish history but they may have dug stone for building in the area? ???

You might be right about the "amphitheater" being a mining pit - a LOT of chalk was moved around in the area to build Motte and Bailey castles... BUT it might also have served a dual purpose being in the middle of a large valley, NEXT to a motte and bailey castle site.

As far as the lines in the plowed field go - I am more convinced than ever that they WERE the homesites below the castle, based on the pic below! (look at the irregular plots!)

Attachments

• stclear6.jpg
    stclear6.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 4,029

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004

it is impossible to make a 90 degree turn on a tractor and leave perfect sharp corners as shown in the fields...look at the end of the rows and you can see the tightest turn a tractor will make, looks like a U.......never like an L or V......horse drawn equipment could but the added extra drag from spinning the equipment in spot negated this as it would wear out horse too quick..........gldhntr

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

You know Marc, after looking at the new pic, could that "crater" be the old walls around a castle? I'm guessing the left most castles in tact, but the wall around the one in the painting looks quite similar. Just a thought, I still say you hit the design in the field on the head, especially after seeing your later post. Have you gotten permission to hunt it yet? :D

Jason

IrishCharlieM

Oct 20, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA

I think are on to something there....The contour lines (not the plow lines) sure like they are surrounding small structures....At one time in history. And I can see the half crescent could many diferent types of old structures...But it is shaped as a theatre.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HOLA: I tend to disagree with the square marks being the same as the obvious vehicle ones in the lower right secton. The square ones appear to be of a larger and older compacted type.

I have used This type of id'ing in my search for Tayopa and other mines or old centers.

You can often find old missions sites and forgotten trails this way when nothing is visible on the ground.

Tropical Tramp

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max

Marc said:
As far as the lines in the plowed field go - I am more convinced than ever that they WERE the homesites below the castle, based on the pic below! (look at the irregular plots!)

I see what you mean Marc. if I knew a little more about graphic software, I'd like to see how it looks to scale and merge or overlay the field pic with the drawing.

Too cool!

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hola Peeps: If you will use the tilt control - to the right of the center controls - you can easily separate elevations so that you can see if they are depressions or elevated sections.

Remember, you can tilt, rotate, zoom in and out, etc., use them, fun.

Tropical Tramp

P.S. since I do not have the co-ordinates, nor did I wish to pry, I could not do this.

P.P.S. To make walls you have to excavate for the materiel some where no? hehe

SouthArk

Mar 23, 2005
South-Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Detector Pro Pirate, Troy Shadow X-5, Fisher F75

Marc,

I just downloaded Google Earth about a week ago, and I am beginning to love it as well. However, I haven't learned all of its features and nuances...... especially how to visualize scales.

To me, the Amphitheatre area that you speak of would be way too large for that intended use. I'm just judging by the apparent scale.... with the streets and buildings/houses within its circumference. That would be one huge amphitheatre wouldn't it .... with an apparent area greater than the Colliseum in Rome?

When I first saw your posted picture, my first impression was impact crater...... then I saw another poster mention about the mining in the area for rock..... that could be I guess, but was one heck of a mining operation!
I am also deferring to those that would know better than I...... because I know virtually nothing concerning British History.

Either way, you've posted a very interesting topic. And, I inclined to agree about the apparent structure outlines/foundation walls in the field below the town as it is now. It would be great for and old country boy like me to hunt a site like that in England!

Nice Post!

SouthArk

Mikemonster

Jun 20, 2005
Tallahassee Florida

Howdy folks, been a while since I was here.
Just for grins here is some trivia.
"Castles" were most often built on the highest ground.
Down the hill then was the staff and military.
At the base of the hill lived the farmers and labor staff.
This created the "upper, middle and lower" class that we still refer to.
Mikemonster- former Castle owner

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HI: Don't forget to orient the picture so that the depressions appear as such, not as hills.

Use the rotate controls for this, generally you will have to rotate the picture so that 'south' is at the top of the screen.

Experiment.

Tropical Tramp

OP
OP
Marc

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Mikemonster said:
Howdy folks, been a while since I was here.
Just for grins here is some trivia.
"Castles" were most often built on the highest ground.
Down the hill then was the staff and military.
At the base of the hill lived the farmers and labor staff.
This created the "upper, middle and lower" class that we still refer to.
Mikemonster- former Castle owner

Great bit of trivia Mike! Thanks! (That picture - er painting - above illustrates that beautifully!)

(former castle owner? please tell us more! :))

Bebop

Jul 14, 2006
Thompson UT.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100/Explorer XS/ Garrett GTI-1500/GTA-1000/Grand Master Hunyer III/White Goldmaster II
Thinks for the photo!! my computer is to old and I don't have broadband to dealwith google earth.

Mikemonster

Jun 20, 2005
Tallahassee Florida
Was no big deal Marc;
Like SO many I was concerned with Y2K and the protection of my family and friends. I bought 40 acres in the very rural area of NE Tennesee and had a "Castle" style home of 5,000 sq ft. built. The land and home was very defence-able and self sustaining. Y2K didn't happen so I moved back to Florida and sold it 2 years ago. I'll try and attach a picture.

Attachments

• Front from driveway.jpg
    Front from driveway.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 3,507

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread