What's new

Masaachussetts Dumpster dive nets an antique and a vintage table top.

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2008
Messages
2,220
Reaction score
904
Golden Thread
1
Location
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wife and I went down to Newbury Mass. this weekend to celebrate the birthday of a long time friend . I was given orders not to bring my detector ::) because I was told I would not have time to sneak off and try to make a find or two. I complied and left my detector home :(. But that did not stop me from making a couple finds . On the way down we stoped to let the dog out and do her thing. I took her the dog :laughing9: in a little gravel pit area to do her business and came back with the O S MORSE, Plaistow N.H. Brick . I collect marked bricks as well as other relics and this is one I did not have :hello2: . Then today we went to Sunday brunch and parked next to a very old looking house in Newburyport that was for sale and had a big commercial dumpster full of discarded junk from the old house , I pulled out the very old looking pantry cupboard base . I wish the top had been in the dumpster as well but it was not . I am not sure if this old cabinet would be a candidate for refinishing or if it is more desireable with the old crazed paint on it ? What do you think ?? I also salvaged the Vintage enameled metal top table with the green flower design on it . Even though the base of the table was not in the dumpster the enameled metal top is in great shape and it should not be too hard to find or build a base for it . Go price what they get for one of these tables at the antique shops and it will shock you ! Thanks for looking ! MaineRelic
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2524.webp
    IMG_2524.webp
    104.7 KB · Views: 1,178
  • IMG_2521.webp
    IMG_2521.webp
    98.9 KB · Views: 1,049
  • IMG_2522.webp
    IMG_2522.webp
    95.1 KB · Views: 1,023
  • IMG_2523.webp
    IMG_2523.webp
    69 KB · Views: 1,029
  • IMG_2513.webp
    IMG_2513.webp
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,027
  • IMG_2518.webp
    IMG_2518.webp
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,023
  • IMG_2519.webp
    IMG_2519.webp
    61.3 KB · Views: 1,037
Upvote 0
I would leave the cabinet as found, old painted furniture can bring a good price. That piece looks to be 19th century, its hard to tell about the paint in a photo if its original or not. take it around to some antique shops and see if theres any interest. A nice find......free
 
We will see you on Antiques Roadshow before long MR!!! Good eye-those who can't hunt pilfer. HH, Quindy.
 
Full car indeed.

Some people do like that distressed look.

Would take a lot of effort to get all that black off, but if you did, and gave it a clear finish I think it would look much better. Black paint no doubt not original, so removing it shouldn't harm any value.
 
GREAT DUMPSTER FINDS. someone screwed up dumping them o well your gain
 
wow i would leave the dresser like it is, some people would go mad and pay more for it like that than it sanded down, i would gladly take that one and replace my plain wooden dresser with yours and leave it painted as is. but that is my opinion, in the end it is really all up to you.
 
Those are some nice finds!
you never know without a close exam whether a piece like that cabinet may be rare or valuable, and it takes an expert. especially if there are any markings on the underside, I'd have it looked at before attempting refinishing.
if the black paint was put on unfinished wood, it will be almost impossible to remove it from the grain, from the way it is peeling, I believe the wood was oiled/finished, sometime before painting.
if so, stripper and steel wool will remove it easily. (as far as refinishing is concerned). reoil and polish, and it should be beautiful, and as original.
I wouldn't poly or apply coatings, old wood is oiled, sometimes stained.
Good saves :thumbsup:
 
Nice saves, :icon_thumright: . I keep my eyes open for old bricks too, only eyed halfs and pieces so far.

TommNJ
 
Are you kidding!!! :o Who throws stuff antiques like that away? Great pick. That cupboard base is fantastic! :thumbsup:
-MM-
 
ModernMiner said:
Are you kidding!!! :o Who throws stuff antiques like that away? Great pick. That cupboard base is fantastic! :thumbsup:
-MM-
Hey MR, the way MM aggravates people you may find him in a dumpster up there someday-LOL. Have you done any clean up or work on the finds yet? HH, Quindy.
 
Fantastic saves!!
 
I would Grab a Adult Drink :wink: set down, drink it, then move the Cabinet into my Entry way!!! and wipe with Pledge (Lemon) and set down again and enjoy!!! DO NOT Refinish!!!!!!!!! #1 Rule of Antique Roadshow!!!!! :headbang: If u wanna Refinish it! Call me I'll buy it and drive from NC to pick it up!!!
 
Due to crowded car, did your wife and dog have to catch a Greyhound bus or put out their thumbs (paws) to hitch hike home? I'll bet next time your wife will beg you to bring your detector, lol. btw, I think the brick is totally cool. Andi
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom